Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner

Started by Seagullsim, July 06, 2018, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive Langham

It's not that ridiculous. If the show started at 8:00 and Wood turned up for a sound check at 5:00, that gives them three hours to get a piano.
45 minutes to ring round finding the piano, get a van and some blokes, and call a piano tuner.
An hour to drive round, pick up the piano and bring it back.
An hour to tune it.
That leaves them with 15 minutes in hand.
I'm not saying it would be easy but it's do-able, just.

metaltax

if you had a decent grand piano (i.e. better than whatever the venue had provided) that you rented out you'd be insane to leave it in the hands of just some blokes in a van.

Clive Langham

We don't know it was better though. Perhaps Wood had specified that it had to be blue.

Clive Langham

You're right though, it would be a risk.

But would the risk be trumped by being able to tell all your house guests "Victoria Wood played that piano live on stage" for the next fifty years?

Zetetic

No indication that the replacement piano was a grand, is there?

Regardless of whether that story is true or not, I like Victoria Wood more for it.

Jockice

Quote from: Artemis on July 08, 2018, 05:26:43 PM
Can't be bothered to explain to you who he is, but if you've watched the video, you'd know why his manner was 'odd'. He actually had some balls to turn up and confront Skinner, there. I'm of the school that anything is up or grabs in comedy, but going for the edgy stuff that doesn't mean it's going to be good, and you should be prepared to defend yourself if you're come after by the punchline.

Lest we forget, Sophie Ellis Bextor also confronted him over his 'why the wide face?' gag about her at the Brits.  I actually did a phone interview with her a few days before she was going on his show and she told me that she was going to. I sympathised with her. Even though I think it actually is quite a good joke.

Incidentally, my mum once told me during the 90s she didn't like that comedian 'with the thin face.' Took me ages to work out that she meant him

Thomas

He loves football - bad.

He loves Doctor Who - good. 

People are nuanced.

EOLAN

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2018, 10:58:08 AM
He loves football - good.

He loves Doctor Who - bad. 

People are nuanced.

FTFY

(Although as a supporter of West Bromwich Albion - does he truly love football - from a fellow Baggie).

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on July 10, 2018, 11:02:17 AM
FTFY

(Although as a supporter of West Bromwich Albion - does he truly love football - from a fellow Baggie).

He goes into that in some detail in his autobiography (or an interview I read somewhere).
He says something along the lines of supporting a football team is 99% a mixture of anger and pain, but the other 1% makes it all worthwhile.

up_the_hampipe

He loves football - bad.

He loves Doctor Who - bad. 

Frank is a stinker

Fixed!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2018, 11:08:14 AM
He goes into that in some detail in his autobiography (or an interview I read somewhere).
He says something along the lines of supporting a football team is 99% a mixture of anger and pain, but the other 1% makes it all worthwhile.

He also says that he can't understand anyone who thinks they have some decision to make about which football club they support as it's 100% down to geographical location. What club is the nearest to the house you grew up in? That's your club.

It's a very simple and old fashioned approach compared with what we have now, people in Beijing with Man Utd jerseys and a mate of mine wears a Newcastle jersey for fuck sake. He's from Drogheda! Blodwynpig supporting France when he was born in England is just an exaggeration of this pick and choose culture we live in.

Jockice

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 10, 2018, 11:33:28 AM
He also says that he can't understand anyone who thinks they have some decision to make about which football club they support as it's 100% down to geographical location. What club is the nearest to the house you grew up in? That's your club.

Oh good, the team that won the first two Scottish championships in the early 1890s and have never won it since.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 10, 2018, 11:33:28 AM

I do quite like that simplistic approach, but it does assume that you'll never move house during your formative years.

magval

Or that you live outside mainland UK. I'm not a football fan but if you live in Northern Ireland what are your options, like? Sure Drogheda aren't likely to be headlining the premium league next year.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: magval on July 10, 2018, 01:29:55 PM
Or that you live outside mainland UK. I'm not a football fan but if you live in Northern Ireland what are your options, like? Sure Drogheda aren't likely to be headlining the premium league next year.

I know, people want to support a team in the  premier league and this simple system doesn't allow for that unless you were born near such a team. But there a Darwinist elegance to this system I feel.

monolith

This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to ruin Three Lions and in turn ruin the World Cup and I will therefore be having none of it.

Dr Rock

Americans seem to get the 'you support your local team' well enough. Football never appealed, but once people felt they could just support the best clubs it got even stupider. So I'm suppose I'm with Skinner - and the team closest to where I grew up is currently in the National League which is like Division 2 in the old money isn't it? 'Oh that's not good enough for me, I support Arsenal United now.' What a load of tommyrot.

Dr Rock

I'll say one thing for the honest Scotchman, how easy it would be come World Cup contest time to say 'och aye, hoorah for England' as England are a much better team, and Scotland are shit, but you won't catch any of them doing anything of the sort. Nice one Hamish.

monolith

I think it's generally looked upon with scorn still. I moved to Manchester a couple of years ago and whilst it's made me have a soft spot for City I'd never support them over Forest.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 10, 2018, 01:41:46 PM
Americans seem to get the 'you support your local team' well enough.

Are you joking? Their teams actually up sticks and move to different cities/states

JarrowMonkey

I like him

He's

A) From a proper working glass background, his dad wasn't an agent to Freddie or some other bollox dwarf botherer
B) He liked football when it was shit and likes it now and believes in driving the middle classes out of the game
C) He used to swear a lot, which is clever and funny
D) He had a good go at Stewart Lee in his Man in a Suit stand up
5) He donated a nice sum of cash to a home for people with mental health issues my auntie runs

poodlefaker

Can I just add that when David Baddiel was on Desert Island Discs a few weeks ago, he chose a song he'd performed on (Three Lions - shit), a song he'd written (some shit from a shit musical  that was never released), a song by some of his his mates (some shit by the Sundays) and a song sung by his daughter.  And his other choices were shit too.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 10, 2018, 01:44:43 PM
I'll say one thing for the honest Scotchman, how easy it would be come World Cup contest time to say 'och aye, hoorah for England' as England are a much better team, and Scotland are shit, but you won't catch any of them doing anything of the sort. Nice one Hamish.

Some do. But they're race traitors.

monolith

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 10, 2018, 04:55:43 PM

D) He had a good go at Stewart Lee in his Man in a Suit stand up

What did he say?

thenoise

Quote from: monolith on July 10, 2018, 01:40:38 PM
This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to ruin Three Lions

Skinner and Baddiel already did, by 'singing' on it.  Fucking hell, it's a catchy enough tune, but what a terrible performance.  If ever anyone complains about autotune, stick this on and make them actually listen to it rather than sing along.

JarrowMonkey

To be fair, Ian Broudie is a piss poor singer

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 09, 2018, 03:23:48 PM
I think someone on here showed me this scuzzy routine he did about having a fling with a 16 year old girl https://youtu.be/4U2UaEGWq2E?t=57m35s

What's 'scuzzy' about it? You don't actually think'it happened do you?

Dr Rock

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 10, 2018, 07:19:12 PM
What's 'scuzzy' about it? You don't actually think'it happened do you?

I'm suspicious of the female voice in the crowd that reliably informs him of the relative sexual peaks of the sexes. Lucky she doesn't get it wildly wrong.

JCR

He loves football - bad.

He loves Doctor Who - good. 

People are nuanced.

He did a one off show at the Edinburgh Festival a few years back, where he interviewed Steven Moffat, and he was hilarious talking about Who. Always thought it was a shame they never taped or released it, because it was a really fun show.