Author Topic: Frank Skinner  (Read 13282 times)

marquis_de_sad

• I only wrote that poem to test my printer!
Re: Frank Skinner
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2018, 12:15:21 AM »
Frank Skinner is very witty, which is good, but is a cunt to people he can get away with being a cunt to, which is bad.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
On the subject of that Popbitch Victoria Wood story: Although it might be true, Popbitch has form for recycling age-old stories about celebrities being nightmares and changing the subject of the anecdote to whoever has recently been in the news or died or whatnot. I've seen them do it loads of times over the years. So anything in their newsletter really has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:16 AM »
Can I just add that when David Baddiel was on Desert Island Discs a few weeks ago, he chose a song he'd performed on (Three Lions - shit), a song he'd written (some shit from a shit musical  that was never released), a song by some of his his mates (some shit by the Sundays) and a song sung by his daughter.  And his other choices were shit too.

Surely nobody is that big an egotist, please tell me this is true.

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
Would a grand piano fit in a van?

If it doesn't, it's walking home.

c

• Sandalwood
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
I can't abide the self-regarding Skinner and I come not to defend him, but to suggest that percieved cuntishness and success often go together. I think to get to the top of any profession you have to be incredibly ambitious, perfectionist and hard working. Lots of these stories about stars because being ogres are no doubt true, but I expect much of them are a result of of them being frustrated that the people around them aren't quite as hard working and perfectionist as they are. This is true for comics, CEOs, whoever. You don't get the extreme success without the extreme personality.

That some people manage to be kind and successful is no argument against this, I don't think. They're lucky. For most, inborn talent has to be nurtured with the kind of personality that's competitive and perfectionist enough to work insanely and sacrifice all and these are not easy people.

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
Surely nobody is that big an egotist, please tell me this is true.

True: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b42t4h

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »
I can't abide the self-regarding Skinner and I come not to defend him, but to suggest that percieved cuntishness and success often go together. I think to get to the top of any profession you have to be incredibly ambitious, perfectionist and hard working. Lots of these stories about stars because being ogres are no doubt true, but I expect much of them are a result of of them being frustrated that the people around them aren't quite as hard working and perfectionist as they are. This is true for comics, CEOs, whoever. You don't get the extreme success without the extreme personality.

That some people manage to be kind and successful is no argument against this, I don't think. They're lucky. For most, inborn talent has to be nurtured with the kind of personality that's competitive and perfectionist enough to work insanely and sacrifice all and these are not easy people.

Ah, the Jason Bateman defense.

Undoubtedly one of the funniest and quick-witted comics of the last 30 years but if you read his books you can see that he has never been an easy guy to get on with, even pre-fame. But to me he just seems to really like arguing with people (especially girlfriends) and small things make him angry because hes very sensitive, rather than him being an out and out cunt. I think hed be great to have a night out with but a bit of a nightmare on a daily basis.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
What's 'scuzzy' about it? You don't actually think'it happened do you?

Obviously not but the idea of him being with a girl that young at his age being a “phwoarr you stud” thing is a weird angle. Times have changed.

Brundle-Fly

• Beryl Vertue signalling
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »
Can I just add that when David Baddiel was on Desert Island Discs a few weeks ago, he chose a song he'd performed on (Three Lions - shit), a song he'd written (some shit from a shit musical  that was never released), a song by some of his his mates (some shit by the Sundays) and a song sung by his daughter.  And his other choices were shit too.

Bowie, early Genesis, The Sundays? I’ll have some of that. I thought he was quite honest about putting 3 Lions and a song from his musical. He’s proud of them; similarily the inclusion of his daughter’s recital. If he requested Aphex Twin, Run The Jewels or The Fall, he’d be called a poseur, no doubt? He is damned either way because he’s David Baddiel.

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »

Did he see that Brian Pern episode and think it was a good idea?

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
I like him

He's

A) From a proper working glass background, his dad wasn't an agent to Freddie or some other bollox dwarf botherer
B) He liked football when it was shit and likes it now and believes in driving the middle classes out of the game
C) He used to swear a lot, which is clever and funny
D) He had a good go at Stewart Lee in his Man in a Suit stand up
5) He donated a nice sum of cash to a home for people with mental health issues my auntie runs

Did he? What did he say? Stewart Lee has thrown a few digs at Skinner in the past too. There's a bit in one of his books where he blames Skinner and Baddiel for introducing lad-culture into alternative comedy and ruining it.

I do quite like him but you can tell he's needy as fuck and takes himself very seriously. I thought his first autobiography was excellent but the second one almost unreadable in its self-loathing and neurosis. He strikes me as the sort of bloke you meet in the pub who at first seems very amiable, only to unexpectedly become aggressive at some perceived slight you didn't even know you'd made.

Jerzy Bondov

• my name is bewl
    • Wrongfully Adapted
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
He goes into that in some detail in his autobiography (or an interview I read somewhere).
He says something along the lines of supporting a football team is 99% a mixture of anger and pain, but the other 1% makes it all worthwhile.
This is exactly what being a Doctor Who fan is like as well.

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »

i always think the same about elite footballers. people complain when someone like ronaldo has an ego but, in a way, he has needed that ego to be able to believe in himself and reach that level. People like frank skinner back themselves on being the funniest person in the room and become frustrated when they are surrounded by colleagues that are not as effective as them.

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
This is exactly what being Ian Levine is like as well.

FTFY

marquis_de_sad

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
Would people say this sort of thing about I don't know, Harvey Weinstein? Even before the sexual assault stuff it was well known that he was an awful bully. But he gets results so...?

Harold Angryperson

• The show that tells the TRUTH
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
I never actually saw it but I remember there being a fair stink in the papers when Skinner did a parody of IKEA's then-current 'chuck out your chintz' adverts, replacing 'chintz' with 'chimps' and showing monkeys getting their heads stoved in. No idea if it was appallingly graphic Faces of Death-style bloodshed or done in a more slapstick way with stuffed toys being flung about but by fuck he caught some shit for it. Not the kind of thing I'd find funny but fair play, man's been around a good thirty years now hasn't he? Must be doing something right.

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
I remember that gag and the furore. There was a bit where a load of gore hit someone in the face but you didn't actually see any monkey mangling.

Harold Angryperson

• The show that tells the TRUTH
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. Never minded a bit of comedy gore meself, seems to upset some folk though.

St_Eddie

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. Never minded a bit of comedy gore meself, seems to upset some folk though.

I'll happily sit down and watch a skit about a man getting anally fisted with a spiked baseball bat, before being electrocuted and duly beheaded but you so much as depict a chimp being looked at in a non-friendly way and I'll be writing a letter of pure fury to Ofcom.  Leave them chimps alone, for they are greater than we.

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:14 PM »
I never actually saw it but I remember there being a fair stink in the papers when Skinner did a parody of IKEA's then-current 'chuck out your chintz' adverts, replacing 'chintz' with 'chimps' and showing monkeys getting their heads stoved in. No idea if it was appallingly graphic Faces of Death-style bloodshed or done in a more slapstick way with stuffed toys being flung about but by fuck he caught some shit for it. Not the kind of thing I'd find funny but fair play, man's been around a good thirty years now hasn't he? Must be doing something right.

He responded to the complaints by saying something like 'Good job we didn't do that version set in Beijing.' Which is an example of why he is one of the best, in my opinion.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »
Would people say this sort of thing about I don't know, Harvey Weinstein? Even before the sexual assault stuff it was well known that he was an awful bully. But he gets results so...?

I can't imagine many people saying that about Harvey Weinstein, no. Also, Skinner allegedly being a bit of a git is hardly a comparable crime.

gib

• weak and wobbly
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:26 PM »
Thought he was ok about corbyn in room 101 repeat from last summer, count me in as team pro skinner, and post

marquis_de_sad

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
I can't imagine many people saying that about Harvey Weinstein, no. Also, Skinner allegedly being a bit of a git is hardly a comparable crime.

I meant pre-sexual assault accusations. And people did. I wish I could think of a better example than Weinstein, but there are many people in positions of relative power who act like bullies and their behaviour is excused because they get results.

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
I meant pre-sexual assault accusations. And people did. I wish I could think of a better example than Weinstein, but there are many people in positions of relative power who act like bullies and their behaviour is excused because they get results.

Sir Alex Ferguson? Brian Clough?

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
Sir Alex Ferguson? Brian Clough?

I've read and seen numerous interviews with ex-players regarding Cloughie and none of them ever mentioned him being a bully, great with kidology and man management, but not bullying

Bit shite what he said about Justin Fashanu, but I think that's more of a product of his time

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Clough regretted his comments regarding Fashanu so I'm inclined to forgive him. If all of my words were recorded and put in the public domain I think I would probably want to take some of them back.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
I didnt think much of Shane (Blue Heaven was much better) but I really, really want to see the unaired second series. Just how bad does it have to be for fucking ITV to say "we cant show this"?

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but how much of the 'Skinner's a cunt' stories are recent? I get the impression he used to be genuinely awful because he spent half of his life pissed and these days he's more mindful/regretful of his behaviour?

Anyway, I saw Frank Skinner be team captain on Mock the Week back in 2009 or so. He was making his telly comeback, I think, and going down like a lead balloon. You know, Frankie would say something, and Hugh would say something, and Russell would say something and the audience were sincerely amused/downright tickled. He kept on having to make jokes about how flat his jokes were falling.

He took it a lot better than Gina Yashere, though, who looked genuinely upset no one found her attempts at humour funny and spent most of the rest of the recording looking sad. I'm not entirely sure how she went from that to the Daily Show, but there we are.

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
He's a bit of a sod? Who cares? Everyone in comedy is a bit of a sod.

Thank fuck we are so pure.

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
Funnily enough on The Rest Is History on Radio 4 tonight he clearly did a reference to Shane and how no one watched it.

I laughed.

I like Frank Skinner. And think Free Lines is a good song. Even though I hate football.