Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If they said they didn't like this, I wouldn't trust them.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 07, 2018, 03:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on July 07, 2018, 11:35:28 PM
I loathe and detest that song, and her performance of it on Top of the Pops. One of the crassest, most imbecilic and insulting things I could imagine. Then I've seen Lauper interviewed and thought she was a strikingly nice and interesting person.

It's not a simple matter to make correlations between someone's music and musical taste and their character, trustworthiness or whatever.

lol, upset.

For the avoidance of doubt, this thread is a bit of fun and I don't think most people would actually distrust someone for not liking a song in this thread. I'd probably give you a wide berth based on your stroppy response to the thread though.

Clownbaby

Quote from: TwinPeaks on July 07, 2018, 11:44:05 PM
Blondie - Heart of Glass

Yaaaas

QuoteFor the avoidance of doubt, this thread is a bit of fun and I don't think most people would actually distrust someone for not liking a song in this thread. I'd probably give you a wide berth based on your stroppy response to the thread though.

+1

manticore

Jazz is another example. I don't know of any jazz that I like at all, and would be very tempted to judge the character of someone who liked such guileful music. But in my experience jazz fans tend to be above averagely kind and good-hearted people, and one of the most true and constant people I've ever known was a jazz fan.

Generally I prefer it if people are prepared to make negative judgements on music or whatever rather than go 'each to their own'. Much more interesting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on July 08, 2018, 12:16:18 AM
Jazz is another example. I don't know of any jazz that I like at all, and would be very tempted to judge the character of someone who liked such guileful music. But in my experience jazz fans tend to be above averagely kind and good-hearted people, and one of the most true and constant people I've ever known was a jazz fan.

Generally I prefer it if people are prepared to make negative judgements on music or whatever rather than go 'each to their own'. Much more interesting.

Wouldn't trust anyone who didn't rate Head Hunters tbh

Shaky

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 07, 2018, 03:36:22 PM
I spent so many years absolutely worshipping the Cure, and I still hold them in high regard despite them being pale shadows of their former selves, but that song really makes my shit itch. I'll concede it's probably the ubiquity rather than the quality of the music, however.

As with Love Shack, I totally understand why it annoys people - it's an overplayed bit of confection, an anomaly among their repertoire designed to conquer the mainstream charts - but it's still a cracking tune. I have a high tolerance for such things - see also Smells Like Teen Spirit and Enter Sandman. Maybe my soul is stuck in Hell's disco.

Sebastian Cobb

I never really minded smells like teen spirit in itself but hearing it dropped during jungle or hip hop sets got a bit much. Especially in the 2000's. Give it a rest mate.

Clownbaby

Enter Sandman is such a great, hammy song. If I did karaoke I'd do Enter Sandman.

manticore

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 07, 2018, 04:08:03 PM
Not heard them. I don't like the Ronettes, though ;-p

Are you actually being serious Johnny? I'd still trust you and all, but that surprises me. Why don't you like 'Baby I Love You?' I need an essay, about 50 words would do.

Sebastian Cobb

You're being very precious about this.

Why are you so angry mate?

Sebastian Cobb

manticore

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2018, 12:50:53 AM
You're being very precious about this.

Why are you so angry mate?

I need an essay is all! Is 50 words too much to ask? Okay, 30, if Johnny doesn't mind. 25, my final offer. I do think the world deserves an explanation if someone says they don't like that song. It's a bit krazy and I generally like Johnny's taste so it's interesting to me.

manticore

Right 20 words, not including the words "I don't like 'Baby I Love You' because...". That would be cheating. Just the rest, the bare essentials of the reasoning that lead to this scandalous and perplexing conclusion. I think Johnny owes us that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on July 08, 2018, 01:37:05 AM
Right 20 words, not including the words "I don't like 'Baby I Love You' because...". That would be cheating. Just the rest, the bare essentials of the reasoning that lead to this scandalous and perplexing conclusion. I think Johnny owes us that.

You're being a massive fanny about this. Step off.

manticore

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2018, 01:38:17 AM
You're being a massive fanny about this. Step off.

15? No, I'm holding my ground, 20. I require a comprehensive  explanation, commensurate to the crime.

manticore

I wouldn't trust anybody who said they didn't like Elvis Costello's beautiful songs of 1981 like 'Big Sister's Clothes' and 'New Lace Sleeves', although the album as a whole is a bit inconsistent, IIRC.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 07, 2018, 11:29:54 PM
Pixies, Doolittle.

If someone didn't like it, I'm not sure I could be friends with them.

Me and Mrs Ferris got box seats to see the Pixies at Massey Hall last year for my birthday, about $100 a ticket. The day came around and we were both working so hard we completely forgot and went home to sleep around 11pm.

We now put everything in our work calendars. Arcade fire in a couple weeks, toots and the maytals in August. Never forget.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2018, 02:33:38 AM
Me and Mrs Ferris got box seats to see the Pixies at Massey Hall last year for my birthday, about $100 a ticket. The day came around and we were both working so hard we completely forgot and went home to sleep around 11pm.

We now put everything in our work calendars. Arcade fire in a couple weeks, toots and the maytals in August. Never forget.

I started doing this about a decade ago when some guy in a record shop laughed me out when I said I was seeing HMHB and it turned out they'd played the previous night.

Google Now will even parse the email receipts and automagically enter it into the calendar unprompted.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2018, 01:15:29 AM
FYC - She Drives Me Crazy (cheers buzby).

Tremendous shout.

(That said, surely no one is taking this thread seriously? Good grief.)

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2018, 02:35:44 AM
I started doing this about a decade ago when some guy in a record shop laughed me out when I said I was seeing HMHB and it turned out they'd played the previous night.

Google Now will even automagically enter it into the calendar unprompted.

I was fucking fuming (once I realized a week later). Learned my lesson.

Just checked my calendar, Buddy Guy on Friday that I'd forgotten about. That's why I use calendars now.

manticore

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2018, 02:33:38 AM
toots and the maytals in August.

Oh you lucky devils. Toots seems to go to Canada a lot. Wish I still went to concerts.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2018, 02:37:18 AM
I was fucking fuming (once I realized a week later). Learned my lesson.

Just checked my calendar, Buddy Guy on Friday that I'd forgotten about. That's why I use calendars now.

Top tip: always check the notification window. The default is 15 minutes. I decided I'd be clever one year and put all my relatives birthdays into the calendar and got alerted that it was my mum's birthday at 23:45 as they were calling last orders in the pub!

Sebastian Cobb

Toots and the maytals are fantastic. I saw him in the early 2010's at bestival, he'd almost cancelled the gig because he had some throat problems but didn't, and he sounded a bit hoarse and flat but it was still amazing.

As a bonus DAVID RODIGAN was dj'ing which tbh was probably even better.

Ferris

Quote from: manticore on July 08, 2018, 02:39:38 AM
Oh you lucky devils. Toots seems to go to Canada a lot. Wish I still went to concerts.

Toots were charging mental money actually, was convinced to go by a buddy while half cut in the pub. Think it was $60 a ticket (35 quid or thereabouts). 2 tickets so I could bring Mrs Ferris along was 70 quid, and dope isn't even legal until October. Total write off.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd probably pay that.

Saw Lee Scratch Perry about a year ago. He was smoking spliffs on stage of our relatively small concert and arts venue. It was clear the bouncers didn't really know what to do about it.

I bumped into a then colleague who was very precocious walking into the gig stoned out my box and had to make polite conversation with her.

Saw her a few days later in work saying 'i was taken aback by what he was doing on stage'.

'haha, yeah'

Ferris

After a black-lunged decade, I stopped smoking 3 and a bit years ago so I won't even be able to get all weeded up (because I don't trust myself with smoking anything). 70 quid, for that. Mental.

Looking forward to it like mad though. Sorry to derail the thread!

manticore

I'm guessing maybe Toots still needs the money, reggae people hardly ever seem to make a great living however successful they seem, especially the old school.

That's what I'd like to think anyway. He's a cool fella as you may know:

QuoteIn May 2013 Hibbert received a head injury after being hit by a thrown bottle during a performance at the River Rock Festival in Richmond, forcing him to cancel several months of live shows.[18] The bottle was thrown by William C Lewis. Lewis was facing a charge of malicious wounding, but he pleaded guilty to lesser charges. Despite Toots pleading in a letter to the judge, "He is a young man, and I have heard what happens to young men in jail. My own pain and suffering would be increased substantially knowing that this young man would face that prospect," the judge gave Lewis a six-month sentence.