Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Silly lines in movies

Started by Clownbaby, July 07, 2018, 09:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

"Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?"

-Johnny Depp, Once Upon A Time In Mexico

(No copying and pasting the entire script of The Room)

Sebastian Cobb

'No, you're just going to have to turn this opportunity YES!'

Custard

"Do you bleed? ......You will"

Batman Vs Superpowerman

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2018, 09:18:13 PM
'No, you're just going to have to turn this opportunity YES!'

Aw, that's perfect for the character though.  Then again, I suppose that it wasn't specified whether the silly lines had to be in context or not.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 07, 2018, 10:31:25 PM
Aw, that's perfect for the character though.  Then again, I suppose that it wasn't specified whether the silly lines had to be in context or not.
Aye, it's brilliant.

Operty1

You don't get lines like this in a modern action movie:

https://youtu.be/apAC1HJhu3M

Dyl Spinks

There were loads of terrible lines in the shitfest I watched at the cinema last night: THE FIRST PURGE.

Such was the banality on screen that I can't remember any of them though. I did whisper, "The purgers have got shit on their shoes...and he's the shoeshine boy" to her at one point; it was that kind of film.

Custard

Aww, was it shit? I genuinely love the first three Purge films. Nasty, horrible, glorious shite

Gulftastic

'Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?'

greenman

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 08, 2018, 09:37:02 PM
'Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?'

A rare occasion Mortensen wasn't able to sell Tolkienish.

fucking ponderous

A Glazer line that I think is actually quite stupid is in Birth when Nicole Kidman says to the boy, "Wow. So I guess you're not the resurrected spirit of my dead husband." That's paraphrased, but the actual line is similarly blunt.

Kelvin

"I bow to no man."

"He's not a man. He's the holy half-dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine."

Malcy

A friend of mine detests the line spoken by American soldiers/navy seal/airmen in films when they say -

"I didn't sign up for this shit"! and all it's variations. Eh yes you did!

St_Eddie

Captain Rhodes from George A. Romero's Day of the Dead has some fantastically silly lines*...

"You've given us a mouthful of Greek salad."

"I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING WITH MY TIME!"

"Choke on 'em!  Choooookkkeeee ooonnnnnn 'em!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Silly but awesome.  Day of the Dead is a fucking brilliant film.

phantom_power

Do you know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2018, 11:09:18 PM
Captain Rhodes from George A. Romero's Day of the Dead has some fantastically silly lines*...

"You've given us a mouthful of Greek salad."

"I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING WITH MY TIME!"

"Choke on 'em!  Choooookkkeeee ooonnnnnn 'em!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Silly but awesome.  Day of the Dead is a fucking brilliant film.

Agreed.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 11, 2018, 08:25:38 AM
Do you know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?

"It croaks", should have been the punchline.

phantom_power

I have since read Whedon's justification for the line and agree with him that it would have worked if it had been spoken and directed properly

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 11, 2018, 10:49:23 AM
I have since read Whedon's justification for the line and agree with him that it would have worked if it had been spoken and directed properly

Oh, you mean the same bullshit justification excuse he used for Alien Resurrection?

Quote from: Joss WhedonUh...you know, it wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending, it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they'd changed the script...but it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable.

Whilst Joss Whedon raises a valid point (some of the directorial decisions he mentions were absolutely an issue), I've read his script for Alien Resurrection and it's utter garbage.  The execution, whilst highly questionable at times, was the least of that movie's issues.  The script is the foundation of all and his script blew fucking chunks.  All of that God awful winking and knowing self-parody, which is present in the final movie?  Right there on the written page.  The groan inducing dialogue and nonsensical plot?  All penned under Joss Whedon's name.  Still, stay classy and keep on blaming others, Weasel Whedon.

phantom_power

I don't know about Alien Resurrection but with the Toad line it was meant to be said in a sort of matter-of-fact way. An understated "oh, same things as everything else", not the portentous way it was said in the finished film. It would still not have been great, but not as terrible as it ended up being

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 11, 2018, 02:17:20 PM
I don't know about Alien Resurrection but with the Toad line it was meant to be said in a sort of matter-of-fact way. An understated "oh, same things as everything else", not the portentous way it was said in the finished film. It would still not have been great, but not as terrible as it ended up being

Yeah, possibly.  I'm still too pissed off over Alien Resurrection though, to give Whedon the benefit of the doubt.  Petty is as petty does, admittedly.