Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May: The Final Days

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, July 08, 2018, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slapasoldier

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 16, 2018, 04:28:02 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you left-wing newspaper The Guardian and its Friday front-page offering:

What a bottle of fannies they are.

What would have made a better headline? "Theresa May: The Final Days" maybe?

biggytitbo

Quote from: slapasoldier on November 16, 2018, 12:58:57 PM
What would have made a better headline?

How about "That Guardian needs your help - Please contribute or subscribe"

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 16, 2018, 01:04:16 PM
How about "That Guardian needs your help - Please contribute or subscribe"

'Help us to keep holding power to account. You mingebags."

Saying that, here's a vaguely decent Guardian article, albeit they're only writing up a report by the UN about the shameful consequences of austerity and Tory ideology on Britain's poor (obviously the current shitstorm conveniently distracts from this):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

QuoteThe UK government has inflicted "great misery" on its people with "punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous" austerity policies driven by a political desire to undertake social re-engineering rather than economic necessity, the United Nations poverty envoy has found.

Who knew, eh?

"Resignations, a coup and a day of hostility. But Mumford & Sons fight on."

ajsmith2

I wonder if May might have been better advised to perform a cover of Chas and Dave's 'Ain't No Pleasing You' yesterday. Could have been another 'Dancing Queen' moment.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Love the concept of someone trolling us that the Tories aren't capitulating quite as fast as some of us IDIOTS thought.

Soup

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 16, 2018, 01:20:04 PM
Love the concept of someone trolling us that the Tories aren't capitulating quite as fast as some of us IDIOTS thought.

Not like those spineless lefties, eh?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 16, 2018, 12:48:06 PM
Can we not just pitchfork down to London and burn them out? Like the good old days?

Does it have to be just tories or can I swing my sack of doorknobs at any bourgie cunt I feel like?

BritishHobo

I've been itching for May to go because I think it'll be fucking hilarious if she never actually serves a full term. Funny to think we're still two years short of what should have been David Cameron's second term. He should be just starting to wind down now.

biggytitbo

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 16, 2018, 01:32:49 PM
I've been itching for May to go because I think it'll be fucking hilarious if she never actually serves a full term. Funny to think we're still two years short of what should have been David Cameron's second term. He should be just starting to wind down now.

Yeah, but imagine if they'd won the referendum, we'd have had 5 solid years of pure Cameron and Osborne rule, and possibly more, rather than a government so broken it can barely function.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nice try but no, we don't agree slashing and burning them claiming the wreckage is worth it

Soup

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 16, 2018, 01:42:43 PM
Nice try but no, we don't agree slashing and burning them claiming the wreckage is worth it

Are you sure you don't enjoy having "a government so broken it can barely function" ? What's not to like?

QuoteSunlit uplands for David Cameron
As Brexit descended into chaos, former UK PM was at a financial conference in Florida..

Like Ronnie Biggs, he's managed to get away Scot free and is currently sunning himself whilst pulling off a nice little earner..

https://www.ft.com/content/ceb53ac8-e8d2-11e8-a34c-663b3f553b35

QuoteIs David Cameron racked with guilt? Is he holed up like a hermit, struggling to come to terms with what he unleashed? Not exactly. He's been sunning himself in Florida on a paid-for gig to tell the CME Global Financial Leadership Conference what he thinks about Brexit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Don't get me wrong, I was encouraged by the 2017 election result and knew this moment would arrive from the day of the results.

Schadenfreude is fine but the breakthroughs are what matters

1) Vote of no confidence in PM
2) PM wins but is weakened
3) PM loses deal vote in commons
4) PM has to either stand down or call election
5) PM stands down/calls election
6) New leader/no mandate or same leader, shame shitty droid election campaign, same lack of anything to say on domestic issues

Labour party put up posters simply quoting the UN that austerity was a choice not a necessity and the Tories have basically stolen our futures and robbed from town halls across the country to prop up an elite

Labour win

Sebastian Cobb

This isn't the US, someone can be pm for as long as the public and their party is prepared to put up with them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also what is Colchester Hard Wanking Crew's Brexit policy?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Quote on November 16, 2018, 01:12:46 PM
Saying that, here's a vaguely decent Guardian article, albeit they're only writing up a report by the UN about the shameful consequences of austerity and Tory ideology on Britain's poor (obviously the current shitstorm conveniently distracts from this):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great-misery-on-citizens-un-says

Who knew, eh?

Aditya Chakrabortty's a good lad: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/14/un-austerity-destroying-lives-philip-alston-poverty-uk

MoonDust

Is there a word for admiration but not in a good way, like you still think the person is an awful individual?

Because that's kind of how I feel about Theresa May clinging on to power. Got to hand it to her, not many people could put up with this relentless shit from her own ranks and still stay in the job. I'd have certainly thrown in the towel by now if I was in her shoes.

So I kind of admire that, but not admire her. Does that make sense? Or is this just the first sign of my slow descent into becoming a fully fledged Tory 10 years from now? Fuck.

biggytitbo

Thats the hot take many in the press who oppose her have taken today. Not sure if its patronising to her or just paving the way to recommending her bodged deal as the best option in the 'national interest'.

pancreas

Quote from: MoonDust on November 16, 2018, 01:57:06 PM
Is there a word for admiration but not in a good way, like you still think the person is an awful individual?

grudging respect?

Her cockroach like instinct for survival is kind of admirable I agree. It's doing her, her party and country no favours but the sheer grim determination to hang on is weirdly engrossing.

Like a stubborn pheasant who somehow survives the initial impact and makes you go back with a tire iron to finish the job.

Johnny Yesno

Because that's kind of how I feel about Theresa May clinging on to power. Got to hand it to her, not many people could put up with this relentless shit from her own ranks and still stay in the job. I'd have certainly thrown in the towel by now if I was in her shoes.

So I kind of admire that, but not admire her. Does that make sense? Or is this just the first sign of my slow descent into becoming a fully fledged Tory 10 years from now? Fuck.

I just view this shower of cunts the way I view the royals. It's not for you.

This is a war among the rich and they are in the middle of having a carve-up of our country. They wouldn't even notice you unless they could use your body as a shield.

MoonDust

Aye all true. Read also the hollow phrase "national interest". Which basically means the interest of the rich and big business.

Certainly doesn't mean your average citizen.

slapasoldier

If it makes you feel any better, I think you can withhold your admiration because she isn't really in such a difficult position at all. She knows she just has to ride it out, let Corbyn be Corbyn and she and the Tories will pull through this again, like they did after the GE. Just remember that period after the GE when Labour were unified, ahead in he polls, and Corbyn got a huge popularity boost. Even if that happens again because of Brexit, it wont last long because Corbyn will fuck it up.

biggytitbo

I doubt from inside that bubble she actually sees it like we do observing from the outside though. Spending her entire existence moving from one meeting to another, surrounded by advisors, never having a second to stop. And of course the unshakeable belief in our own righteousness that psychopaths have. Plenty of PMs been in a worse position and when have any of them ever resigned? Wilson is the only one I can think of but that wasnt because everyone thought he was shit.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: MoonDust on November 16, 2018, 02:07:29 PM
Aye all true. Read also the hollow phrase "national interest". Which basically means the interest of the rich and big business.

Certainly doesn't mean your average citizen.

Also, have a read of those articles upthread about the UN report. I can't manage even grudging respect for the lowlife that oversaw the vandalism mentioned in it. I hope this is awful for her. But she'll just go and cry into her millions instead of doing the decent thing, won't she?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 16, 2018, 02:04:13 PM
Thats the hot take many in the press who oppose her have taken today. Not sure if its patronising to her or just paving the way to recommending her bodged deal as the best option in the 'national interest'.

that's a phrase I would ban immediately 'national interest' or 'in the national interest' .

Captain Z

While I think they would have the largest number of seats, I don't think Labour would actually win an election if it came to it. Similarly, I think the result would be closer but I'm not confident that remain would win a second referendum.