Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:20:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May: The Final Days

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, July 08, 2018, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on July 09, 2018, 12:10:27 AM
I'd laugh if all this political turmoil means that there's no one to meet Trump at the airport on Friday.

It'll be funny if he turns up to meet the Prime Minister of Great Britain and it's Corbyn.

finnquark

Interestingly RM now demanding for a return to constitutionally proper cabinet government. Its amazing how flippant his use of the constitution is. Bet he's never read Bagehot.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2018, 12:14:01 AM

What a weird picture of him to choose.

Just before Dr Loomis turned up and shot him over the balcony.

Absorb the anus burn

Fucking Trump comes this week - he has been dangling (fantasy) sweetheart trade deals in front of the Brexit Tory faithful.... Just as May offers a Brexit so soft is should be packaged by Andrex with a labrador puppy.

Surely half the Tory party will go mental.

jobotic

So this is it, the Paulies attempt to totally annihilate the country. If they fuck it up surely it's the end of Brexit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

pancreas

Jess Phillips IMMEDIATELY tweets saying that Theresa May should 'hold her nerve'. Bitch, please, which party are you in?

jobotic

Latst thing she wants is an election.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteTo some former Remainers, Mr Davis' departure could even be considered a temporary relief. One of his fellow ministers remarked, "it's just a personal outburst", adding: "He is not exactly the cleverest, he has always struggled to muscle into any of the complicated arguments."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Urgh please not Gove, fucking hell

BlodwynPig

BYE BYE BRITAIN...YOU HAD YOUR TIME IN THE SUN BUT YOU FUCKED IT UP WITH YOUR SMALL-MINDED ISLAND MENTALITY. BYE BYE.

Zetetic

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on July 09, 2018, 12:17:00 AM
Just as May offers a Brexit so soft is should be packaged by Andrex with a labrador puppy.
It's not even that soft (particularly given the emphasis on future divergence) - it's slightly more sensible than the absence of a position, given the time constraints.

It's been peddled as such to appear slightly more sane, at the - now extremely clear- risk of giving the ERG-lot enough of an excuse to kick off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Davis, Baker and another Brexit minister ...Suella Braverman...have all gone ...

Zetetic

Or possibly just an excuse for everyone to abandon the awfulness of the DxEU...

Captain Z

Quote from: pancreas on July 09, 2018, 12:41:39 AM
Jess Phillips IMMEDIATELY tweets saying that Theresa May should 'hold her nerve'.

Preferably Novichok.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 09, 2018, 01:05:29 AM
WHAT A FUCKING WASTE OF EVERYONE'S TIME THIS HAS BEEN.

It is what it is. We go again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2018, 01:06:38 AM
It is what it is. We go again.

I'm not....I'm going to take you for an old fashioned ale in an 80s pub and talk about the Hungerford massacre.

Zetetic

For anyone who cares to avoid Twitter:

Zetetic

Nothing terribly exciting.

It's hard to believe that he seriously thinks agreeing to the sequencing (which the EU had little choice about insisting on, given the risk of legal challenge from any citizen or member state if they didn't) was a significant failing, so I suppose that might support that this has sod all to do with anything of substance.

BlodwynPig

His signature is like a German yes-man blotto on his back.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 09, 2018, 01:14:50 AM
His signature is like a German yes-man blotto on his back.

I was going to say something like that!

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2018, 12:24:59 AM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/theresa-may-uk-prime-minister-two-years-brexit-tory-dup-deal-conservative-cabinet-boris-johnson-a8434761.html

Blimey did she really say all this at the beginning ?

Quote"That means fighting against the burning injustice that, if you're born poor, you will die on average nine years earlier than others.

"If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you're white. If you're a white, working-class boy, you're less likely than anybody else in Britain to go to university. If you're at a state school, you're less likely to reach the top professions than if you're educated privately.

"If you're a woman, you will earn less than a man. If you suffer from mental health problems, there's not enough help to hand. If you're young, you'll find it harder than ever before to own your own home.

"But the mission to make Britain a country that works for everyone means more than fighting these injustices. If you're from an ordinary working class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realise. You have a job but you don't always have job security. You have your own home, but you worry about paying a mortgage. You can just about manage but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school.

"If you're one of those families, if you're just managing, I want to address you directly.

"I know you're working around the clock, I know you're doing your best, and I know that sometimes life can be a struggle. The government I lead will be driven not by the interests of the privileged few, but by yours."

Also

QuoteBut May is no true Thatcherite. When she permits herself, she sometimes displays the same corporatist sympathies as Heath – even once wistfully talking about worker directors on the boards of big companies; and she is unusually insistent, for a post-Thatcher Tory, on strengthening workers' rights and spending more on the NHS.

Im starting to wonder if shes actually in the right party !

If the above stuff actually does reflect her true sentiments, it's a shame that she can't seem to get them past her civil servants.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Isnt Anything on July 09, 2018, 02:19:34 AM

If the above stuff actually does reflect her true sentiments, it's a shame that she can't seem to get them past her civil servants.

It doesn't, it's the usual bollocks all Tory PMs spout at the offset, it's like private joke between them all the true Tories in the know, and give the tabloids some guff to make the plebs think favourably of their new overlord.

Isnt Anything

Well yes as we all know Cameron did some of that at the start, but hers seemed to go further .... my surprise therefore being the even larger gulf between her words and actions.

Kelvin

I'm sure that she, and many Tories do believe and support those kinds of statements, in concept. They just believe that the best way to achieve those ends is through methods and philosophies that, in reality, achieve the exact opposite. 

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on July 09, 2018, 05:31:28 AM
I'm sure that she, and many Tories do believe and support those kinds of statements, in concept. They just believe that the best way to achieve those ends is through methods and philosophies that, in reality, achieve the exact opposite.

That would make them stupid though.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2018, 12:55:18 AM
Davis, Baker and another Brexit minister ...Suella Braverman...have all gone ...

I thought Floella Benjamin was in the Lords...

Ah, they're too different people?

And Baker, that's one of the old Dr Who's innit?

Replies From View

Mark Steels Stockbroker

A Gove-led government would just be a stab in the dark.