Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May: The Final Days

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, July 08, 2018, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Looking at Hoey's Wikipedia page I think there is a real argument that she might be in the wrong party. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Hoey

jobotic

Quote from: Danger Man on July 17, 2018, 12:14:53 AM
Shhhhhhh!!!!

Labour are the good guys. Even when they are no different from the bad guys.

Some are, some aren't. It's quite easy. What was your comment about?

Replies From View

Quote from: jobotic on July 17, 2018, 08:10:57 AM
Some are, some aren't. It's quite easy. What was your comment about?

About how he is better than the rest of the forum?

pancreas

Well, my conjecture was partially correct. The Tory rebels *did* vote with Labour to defeat the amendments. There just weren't enough of them. 14.

I'm a little worried for what this means for future votes.

That Farron and Cable should turn up and Hoey and Field be locked in a cupboard.

daf

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 16, 2018, 11:56:11 PM
This government is limping on in an even more ineffective way than major's last few years, and remember what came next after that..

Was it 'The Germans'?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe Government's official and independent spending watchdog has confirmed that there will be no "brexit dividend" for the UK, despite the claims of ministers.

Theresa May said last month that the extra £20bn a year pledged to fund the health service would be partially paid for by UK money no longer being sent to the European Union.

That claim was universally slammed by economists as grossly misleading, since the Government's own projections suggest Brexit is already weakening the public finances, rather than strengthening them and that any fiscal gains from lower EU payments will be wiped out by lower tax revenues.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-dividend-nhs-obr-fiscal-sustainability-report-a8450731.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1531821124

rjd2

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1018934294700613632

Think this is really concerning for The Tories. Doubtful that UKIP can come close to the glory days of 2015, but a few Tories such as Anna Saubry are in serious trouble next time the election comes round.

Not sure how much Arron Banks is involved when it comes to funding him these days, but while obviously he loathes Labour, he'd tolerate them in power if he meant he could hammer the Tory party especially by targeting Tory remainers in leave areas.

biggytitbo

Phew, thanks these Labour mps for saving us a possible general election and a Labour government, who'd want that right!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnna Soubry is going to be No 1 on the UKIP Hit List of MPs on small majorities whose seats we are going to lose for them.  We are having fun drawing up the list.

Although Anna Soubry's seat is marginal not because of her pre-election Remaining but because of May's hard Brexit rhetoric in her campaign (along with Soubry being an idiot and crap MP).

I couldn't think of anything more helpful to Anna Soubry than Batten and co rocking up with their fucking union jack Sharabang and loud hailers and making her constitutents think "well, she's an absolute fuckwit but better than those cunts", and making some folk who would otherwise have voted Labour switch to UKIP in the process, itself bolstering her majority.

When UKIP talk about drawing up a hitlist think about the amount of MPs they have ever, ever had.

jobotic

With the company Ukip are happy to keep at the moment they probably mean something else when they say "hitlist".

idunnosomename

Kate hoey's face looks like a skull

laughing at me

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: greencalx on July 17, 2018, 08:04:25 AM
Looking at Hoey's Wikipedia page I think there is a real argument that she might be in the wrong party. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Hoey

Totally depends on your point of view:

QuoteShe has voted against government policy on the war in Iraq, foundation hospitals, university tuition and top-up fees, ID cards and extended detention without trial.

Good

QuoteHoey was a vocal critic of the government of Robert Mugabe. In 2005, she called on Tony Blair to put diplomatic pressure on South Africa to condemn Zimbabwean government demolitions of townships, after an unsanctioned visit to the country.

Good

Quoteshe voted in favour of same-sex marriage in 2013

Good

QuoteKate Hoey nominated John McDonnell for the Labour leadership, but on his withdrawal, she switched her nomination to Diane Abbott.

Good

QuoteHoey is patron of Roots & Shoots, a vocational training centre for young people in Lambeth.[29]

Hoey has been a trustee of the Outward Bound charity since October 2002.

Fine

You can't defend Corbyn for his principles and routine breaking of the whip then get upset when Hoey does it. She is clearly of a similar approach to Corbyn in his consistency. Yes, the local party should be able to elect to get rid of her, but that's another matter.

greencalx

That's not what I was doing. I was reacting to stuff like this

She also favours stricter controls on immigration, tougher welfare reform, withdrawal from the European Union, English Votes for English Laws, grammar schools, marriage tax allowances, free schools and academies.

BAD

TrenterPercenter

Kate Hoey is a net fucking disgrace.

Yes she might support Corbyn in a sense but I will not give any credence to her.

signed a sincere Corbyn supporter.

Alberon

Why has no one ever dropped a dead cow on him?

How different would Britain have been if that light aircraft pilot had done his job properly? Fine margins.

Fambo Number Mive

PMQs

QuoteTory MP Andrea Jenkyns asks "at what point was it decided that Brexit means remain?"

The prime minister responds that "Brexit means Brexit".

Danger Man

Will Boris Johnson try and take down May today?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteSNP leader Ian Blackford asks May if she will extend Article 50. "No," she replies.

Blumf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 18, 2018, 12:11:38 PM
PMQs
QuoteThe prime minister responds that "Brexit means Brexit".

Fucking awful dictionary editor.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Danger Man on July 18, 2018, 12:27:38 PM
Will Boris Johnson try and take down May today?

Nah. They'll wait until after parliamentary recess to see if anyone remembers what a howlingly incompetent mess they've made of everything, realise they have then drag out the inevitable for a bit longer until everyone remembers again.

Fambo Number Mive

Naughty Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/boris-johnson-flouts-commons-rules-after-return-to-newspaper-column

Boris Johnson has broken rules that prevent former cabinet ministers taking up new jobs for three months after leaving office.

The former foreign secretary failed to get permission from the government's appointments watchdog for his role as a columnist for the Daily Telegraph.

Former ministers should apply to the advisory committee on business appointments (Acoba) before accepting a new role under the ministerial code.

Ministers who have been members of the cabinet should not accept new appointments for three months after leaving office.

Johnson returned to his £275,000-a-year Daily Telegraph column on Monday. He gave it up when he was appointed foreign secretary in July 2016.

A spokesman for Acoba said Johnson had not sought its advice, as required, before returning to the role, the Daily Mail reported.

BlodwynPig

It's now a longer time between now and the last labour government than the last labour government and Hitler

Ant Farm Keyboard

A French article (by the longtime correspondent of Le Monde in London) mentions a process of implosion within the Tories over the Brexit. Does it look realistic to you, and how far could it go? Just a coup within the party, a split?

Alberon

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 18, 2018, 05:07:53 PM
A French article (by the longtime correspondent of Le Monde in London) mentions a process of implosion within the Tories over the Brexit. Does it look realistic to you, and how far could it go? Just a coup within the party, a split?

I don't think so. No one wants to lead the Tories right now, not even Boris who bottled it again in his resignation speech. They'll allow May to achieve her pseudo-Brexit and then sack her, heaping all the ills on her shoulders and saying the new lot in charge will put it right. It might mean a term or two in opposition, but they'll regroup and come back, maybe even stronger after the European divisions that have dogged the party for decades has been largely nullified by the Brexit fudge.

mothman

John Crace nails it on last night's vote:

QuoteEven then the government could have been defeated but for four Labour MPs who voted against the amendment. Step forward Kate Hoey, Graham Stringer, Frank Field and John Mann. Or Baroness Kate, Sir Graham, Sir Frank and Sir John as they will surely become when the prime minister next gets round to compiling an honours list. She owes them big time. These four had a chance to put a Labour government close to power and thought better of it. They must be very proud of themselves.

Thomas

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 18, 2018, 01:47:28 PM
Nothing will happen.

I worked a minimum wage job at a call centre last year, with a near-weekly turnover of staff, and we were held to a higher standard of conduct than Boris Johnson.