Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Sacha Baron Cohen show

Started by up_the_hampipe, July 08, 2018, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Cohen has recently used his dormant twitter account to promote a new project that's supposedly coming soon https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1016082033099997184

Looks like he's going back to his old ways of hoodwinking famous folks, but this time with a political message!

kitsofan34

Showtime's promotion for the show is cringeworthy. Corporate entities trying to be transgressive is inherently paradoxical.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 08, 2018, 11:55:38 PM
Corporate entities trying to be transgressive is inherently paradoxical.

[DRUMBEAT]

madhair60

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 08, 2018, 11:55:38 PMCorporate entities trying to be transgressive is inherently paradoxical.

Parklife!

Clownbaby

How can he hoodwink anyone now? Pretty much everyone knows who he is. I hope it's not going to be like Facejacker with the heavy unconvincing prosthetic masks. I don't think Sacha's above doing that at this point in his career. I hope it is good though.

Still fuckin love Borat

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 09, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
How can he hoodwink anyone now? Pretty much everyone knows who he is. I hope it's not going to be like Facejacker with the heavy unconvincing prosthetic masks. I don't think Sacha's above doing that at this point in his career. I hope it is good though.

I suspect that most of his subjects will be in on the joke, unfortunately.  This is backed up by this news from a while back (which was almost certainly for the upcoming film).

Clownbaby

I saw an all-text advert last night that said "we can't tell you anything about this new show but something VERY BIG is coming to Channel 4" and I'm 99% sure it was for this. It's really hyping itself up and I'm really not optimistic. Isn't it often the way that things automatically don't live up to their own hype?

up_the_hampipe

Everything SBC has done since Bruno (aside from some of the Dictator press appearances) have been sad to watch. I'm not hopeful about this, but I know he's capable of greatness.

BlodwynPig

"Dick Cheney, sign my waterboard"

Did I dream Chris Morris existed?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 09, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
How can he hoodwink anyone now? Pretty much everyone knows who he is.

That's the thing, same thing happened to Paul Kay with Dennis Pennis. The thing is Cohen was doing quite well with the next natural step up which is films. The Freddie Mercury debacle must have fucked up his career more than first thought. For a start he put a year or two of work into it and people might think he's difficult to work with.

From doing films to now doing a TV show that is similar to what he was doing 15 years ago doesn't look great. But who knows, it might be really good and I'm sure he got a large cash incentive for doing it.

New Jack

I'd like him to blur his own actual life / public and private personas, in an Andy Kaufman-esque satire on the nature of celebrity (sorry to use my newest catchphrase), although it would be difficult to do. It would seem the next natural step in clowning and all that jazz

Has he actually transitioned well to the "his own films" step yet? Grimsby was, well, Grim. The Dictator wasn't all that.

What's his It's All Gone Pete Tong?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: New Jack on July 09, 2018, 01:37:05 PM
I'd like him to blur his own actual life / public and private personas, in an Andy Kaufman-esque satire on the nature of celebrity (sorry to use my newest catchphrase), although it would be difficult to do. It would seem the next natural step in clowning and all that jazz

Until he went to America and had to promote Da Ali G Show in serious interviews, he was doing a great job of keeping his real self hidden from the public eye. There was even a Channel 5 documentary where it was supposed to be this big reveal that Ali G wasn't a real person, just an Oxbridge comedy performer. I wish he'd fully committed and never done an appearance as himself.

QDRPHNC

His introduction in Talladega Nights is fantastic. The crepes argument is sublime.

New Jack

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 09, 2018, 02:53:50 PM
Until he went to America and had to promote Da Ali G Show in serious interviews, he was doing a great job of keeping his real self hidden from the public eye. There was even a Channel 5 documentary where it was supposed to be this big reveal that Ali G wasn't a real person, just an Oxbridge comedy performer. I wish he'd fully committed and never done an appearance as himself.

Ja. I remember that phase where he was virtually unknown as a person. I think my desire for him to spoof himself is too late, and I don't actually expect him to try it.

He could always do what Paul Kaye did and get gakked up on speed and hurl insults at celebrities (sounds sniffy but I loved Pennis!)

ajsmith2

I think ultimately Iain Lee has proved to the best one out of the 11 O Clock Show gang. Who'd have seen that coming? I'd like to see him present a 'Kenneth Clarke's Civilisation' style documentary epic on The Monkees and Mike Love instead of this being made.

BritishHobo

Sarah Palin has revealed she was tricked into an interview for this show with somebody she didn't realise was Cphen in disguise.

Sarah Palin.

Fuck me, this will be cuttinhlg edge.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 11, 2018, 05:03:47 AM
Sarah Palin has revealed she was tricked into an interview for this show with somebody she didn't realise was Cphen in disguise.

Sarah Palin.

Fuck me, this will be cuttinhlg edge.

He was disguised as a disabled US veteran as well.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 09, 2018, 01:20:56 PM
That's the thing, same thing happened to Paul Kay with Dennis Pennis. The thing is Cohen was doing quite well with the next natural step up which is films. The Freddie Mercury debacle must have fucked up his career more than first thought. For a start he put a year or two of work into it and people might think he's difficult to work with.

From doing films to now doing a TV show that is similar to what he was doing 15 years ago doesn't look great. But who knows, it might be really good and I'm sure he got a large cash incentive for doing it.
The Dictator and Grimsby both being rubbish might have more to do with it.

Utter Shit

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 09, 2018, 11:30:18 PM
I think ultimately Iain Lee has proved to the best one out of the 11 O Clock Show gang.

Not really though. Ali G, Borat, The Office, Extras and Detectorists are among the credits directly attributable to people involved with the 11 O'Clock Show. I think he's great, and he might win the award for Nicest Man Involved With The 11 O'Clock Show, but let's be realistic here.

Even the Dictator, which was crap, spawned this fantastic interview on Aussie breakfast TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BlazElwPkA

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 11, 2018, 12:58:13 PM
The Dictator and Grimsby both being rubbish might have more to do with it.

As usual it's most likely profit at the heart or if.

Borat - $128,505,958
Bruno - $60,054,530
Dictator - $59,650,222
Grimsby - $6,874,837

They're the unadjusted grosses from box office mojo but according to wikipedia Grimsby made 25 million on a budget of 35 million. If that's true and you add a conservative 5 million for publicity then Grimsby lost 15 million or not far from half its budget. A flop by any standards. Add in the Freddie Mercury debacle and that's enough to impact any film career.

Borat was an international smash, a cultural touchstone and undoubtedly the height of his career. Bruno and Dictator are more of a respectable holding pattern where they made a decent profit (above figures are much less than wikipedia, probably domestic only) and Grimsby was a bit of a critical and commercial disaster. Lost money and was a pile of shite as well.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 11, 2018, 01:10:56 PM
Not really though. Ali G, Borat, The Office, Extras and Detectorists are among the credits directly attributable to people involved with the 11 O'Clock Show. I think he's great, and he might win the award for Nicest Man Involved With The 11 O'Clock Show, but let's be realistic here.

Even the Dictator, which was crap, spawned this fantastic interview on Aussie breakfast TV.

I assumed that was a bit of a joke. Who thinks Iain Lee is more talented and had contributed more than Gervais and Cohen? Sure you can have your problems with them but for fuck sake. Iain Lee might be a nice guy or whatever but his career is closer to Partridge than anything else.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I thought he should do serious films, which is what Gervais should have done.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

New Jack

Conservative Radio Host Joe Walsh Says He Was 'Duped' by Sacha Baron Cohen

I don't know who that is and at this rate I'm probably not going to disagree nominally with his choice of targets, though whether it will be "good" or hackneyed shite is absolutely up in the air

ajsmith2

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 11, 2018, 01:20:57 PM
I assumed that was a bit of a joke. Who thinks Iain Lee is more talented and had contributed more than Gervais and Cohen? Sure you can have your problems with them but for fuck sake. Iain Lee might be a nice guy or whatever but his career is closer to Partridge than anything else.

Yeah it was a bit of a joke, albeit based on a kernel of truth. Gervais and Cohen have objectively produced much more influential  entertaining and enduring work, but I find them both fairly unlikable self promoters and their respective shticks have been wearing increasingly thin in recent years. There's a reactionary idealistic part of me that finds more worth in Iain Lee earnestly fanboying over largely uncelebrated people like Joe McGrath or Mike Love to Cohen bewildering public figures or Gervais getting celebs to play knowingly outrageous versions of themselves.

bgmnts

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jul/11/evil-exploitative-sick-sarah-palin-duped-sacha-baron-cohen

QuotePalin also claimed that once the interview had ended, the show's producers purposely dropped her and her daughter off at the wrong airport, knowing that they would be unable to catch a flight back to Alaska, and refused to assist the pair in getting home.

Timothy

Looking forward to it. Enjoyed everything he made.

Sin Agog

Hasn't Iain Lee veered into some right-wing/libertarian John Gaunt-style shock jock territory in recent years?  Plus Mike Love is an unmitigated fuck-nuts, so that doesn't help his case any.  Fuck You, Mike Love

ajsmith2

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 12, 2018, 01:10:15 PM
Hasn't Iain Lee veered into some right-wing/libertarian John Gaunt-style shock jock territory in recent years?  Plus Mike Love is an unmitigated fuck-nuts, so that doesn't help his case any.  Fuck You, Mike Love

Not at all, these days Iain Lee is a surprisingly gentle and actually often fragile left leaning radio host who uniquely and incongruously shoehorns his esoteric love of 60s sunshine pop and obscure British 60s cinema into a late night zoo format radio talk show. It's often brilliantly good stuff.

I also like Mike Love and think the stuff against him in BBs fandom is largely bollocks, but I realise that's a minority opinion and I'll say no more on that as I don't want it to detract from the main point that Iain Lee is about as far from a 'right wing shock jock' as it's possible for someone who presents a talk radio show to be.