Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Sacha Baron Cohen show

Started by up_the_hampipe, July 08, 2018, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 11, 2018, 01:10:56 PM
Not really though. Ali G, Borat, The Office, Extras and Detectorists are among the credits directly attributable to people involved with the 11 O'Clock Show. I think he's great, and he might win the award for Nicest Man Involved With The 11 O'Clock Show, but let's be realistic here.

Even the Dictator, which was crap, spawned this fantastic interview on Aussie breakfast TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BlazElwPkA
He probably doesn't count as one of the 'gang', but I reckon Charlie Brooker has done the best in terms of both success and not having worn out good will gained from earlier in his career.

As for this latest SBC project, I'm pretty apathetic although I'd be marginally more enthusiastic if Showtime were taking the opposite tact and claiming it was all about the mean-spirited yuks rather than revolving around loftier intentions.

Hat FM

"ALI IN THE COUNTRY! ALI IN THE COUNTRYSIDE!"

petril

Quote from: Hat FM on July 12, 2018, 02:28:44 PM
"ALI IN THE COUNTRY! ALI IN THE COUNTRYSIDE!"

"ME MEET THA PA-LICE, ME MEET THA PA-LICE"

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: bgmnts on July 12, 2018, 11:20:54 AM
https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jul/11/evil-exploitative-sick-sarah-palin-duped-sacha-baron-cohen

Palin also claimed that once the interview had ended, the show's producers purposely dropped her and her daughter off at the wrong airport, knowing that they would be unable to catch a flight back to Alaska, and refused to assist the pair in getting home.

That's mean but hehe!

biggytitbo

Thumb bandits remains the best thing any of the 11 o'clock alumni have done.

c

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 12, 2018, 01:18:16 PM
Not at all, these days Iain Lee is a surprisingly gentle and actually often fragile left leaning radio host who uniquely and incongruously shoehorns his esoteric love of 60s sunshine pop and obscure British 60s cinema into a late night zoo format radio talk show. It's often brilliantly good stuff.

I also like Mike Love and think the stuff against him in BBs fandom is largely bollocks, but I realise that's a minority opinion and I'll say no more on that as I don't want it to detract from the main point that Iain Lee is about as far from a 'right wing shock jock' as it's possible for someone who presents a talk radio show to be.

Seconded

hedgehog90

Look, I'm not a Lee hater or anything, but when I see people opine their love for him on this forum it makes me wince.
Just stop it.

Dog Botherer

Roy Paedo Moore is the latest conservative bellend to admit to being fooled by Cohen, and is threatening to sue him.

Very nice of all these creatures to cut the advertising budget for this thing in half.

New Jack

Cohen replied in character, claiming he was a postal service worker, not a military service goon.

Didn't seem particularly hilarious.

Skip Bittman

Mike Love is twice as bad as the public gossip. All the rumors, all the stories? The reality is EVEN WORSE. Whatever you are imagining Mike Love as being capable of? "Summer of Love," say? The hall of fame speech, the lawsuits, the wife-beating? SO MUCH WORSE, SO MUCH MORE. That family feud was and is, STILL - a daily soap opera of unbelievable legal bullshit and scheming.

One day I'll gab about it in "My Brian Wilson Year."

Showtime's ads were pretty bad for this show, as corny as their Twin Peaks promos -- glad the Republicans are taking over with better marketing. Joe Arpaio was also moaning about being snookered. I had no idea he was appointed by Bill Burroughs' old nemesis Harry J. Anslinger to the Narcotics Bureau in the fucking FIFTIES. No wonder he was dressing inmates up in pink underwear in outdoor camps.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Skip Bittman on July 13, 2018, 08:44:23 AM
Mike Love is twice as bad as the public gossip. All the rumors, all the stories? The reality is EVEN WORSE. Whatever you are imagining Mike Love as being capable of? "Summer of Love," say? The hall of fame speech, the lawsuits, the wife-beating? SO MUCH WORSE, SO MUCH MORE. That family feud was and is, STILL - a daily soap opera of unbelievable legal bullshit and scheming.

One day I'll gab about it in "My Brian Wilson Year."

The justification for the extreme Mike Love hate in BBs fandom has always seemed very weak  to me on the evidence I have. It actually seems bizarre how much (some) Beach Boys fans hate Mike Love given how much he contributed to the group. However if you have first hand experience of the man being bad I'd be interested in hearing it out.

Wishing I'd used the example of Mike Nesmith now not Mike Love as a 60s musician that Lee has championed on his show. This thread doesn't deserve to be derailed by the eternal Mike Love question. It was a somewhat frivolous comment really and shouldn't clog up discussion of the new Baron Cohen thing. (unless he pranks Mike Love in the show).

Nowhere Man

Since a fair chunk of the posts have devolved into a discussion on Iain Lee + Mike Love i'll just point out that a lot of the reason a fair few Beach Boys fans find Iain Lee a bit of a knob is because he is extremely pro-Mike Love and joined up to a popular Brian Wilson centric Beach Boy forum (SmileySmile, dear readers) where obviously a lot of people aren't so fond of the extremely divisive Mike 'Mr Positivity' Love, after a few months of arguing back and forth with various members Iain publicly called the forums members "arseholes" on his twitter and stated on Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast "I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody, without shadow of a doubt." (Charming eh?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp8a_G6YsnA&feature=youtu.be&t=45m15s

He also asked for his account to be deleted and joined up to a much more pro-Mike Love BB forum. Suggesting that he is rather thin skinned when it comes to dealing with opinions different from his own.

On topic: the Sarah Palin thing was the first time i'd heard about this new show, I hope its as good as he used to be pre-Bruno.

Squink

Say what you like about Mike Love (and they do say), he is inadvertently responsible for one of my favourite ever discussion board threads:

Can we be shown weirdos + Mike Love?

sevendaughters

Joe Walsh, Roy Moore, others have come out and said they've been conned, may have underestimated his ability to hide himself

Kryton

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvm8vp/conservatives-pranked-by-sacha-baron-cohen-cant-stop-hyping-his-new-show-vgtrn?utm_source=dmfb

QuoteRoy Moore, the disgraced former Alabama Senate candidate, said in a statement on Thursday he had been "invited to Washington DC to receive an award for my strong support of Israel in commemoration of her 70th anniversary as a nation," which he said turned out to be a trick. Moore threatened to sue and said, "As for Mr. Cohen, whose art is trickery, deception, and dishonesty, Alabama does not respect cowards who exhibit such traits! It's been a long time since I fought for my country in Vietnam. I'm ready to defend her again!"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 13, 2018, 09:40:54 AM
...Iain publicly called the forums members "arseholes" on his twitter and stated on Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast "I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody, without shadow of a doubt." (Charming eh?)

To be fair, I'd kill everybody on this forum.  Having said that, I'd do it with love, euthanasia style.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 13, 2018, 09:40:54 AM...I hope its as good as he used to be pre-Bruno.

Counter argument; Bruno is a fantastic film!

Quote from: Kryton on July 13, 2018, 10:06:34 PM
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvm8vp/conservatives-pranked-by-sacha-baron-cohen-cant-stop-hyping-his-new-show-vgtrn?utm_source=dmfb
QuoteRoy Moore, the disgraced former Alabama Senate candidate, said in a statement on Thursday he had been "invited to Washington DC to receive an award for my strong support of Israel in commemoration of her 70th anniversary as a nation," which he said turned out to be a trick. Moore threatened to sue and said, "As for Mr. Cohen, whose art is trickery, deception, and dishonesty, Alabama does not respect cowards who exhibit such traits! It's been a long time since I fought for my country in Vietnam. I'm ready to defend her again!"

MortSahlFan

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Not at all, these days Iain Lee is a surprisingly gentle and actually often fragile left leaning radio host who uniquely and incongruously shoehorns his esoteric love of 60s sunshine pop and obscure British 60s cinema into a late night zoo format radio talk show. It's often brilliantly good stuff.

I also like Mike Love and think the stuff against him in BBs fandom is largely bollocks, but I realise that's a minority opinion and I'll say no more on that as I don't want it to detract from the main point that Iain Lee is about as far from a 'right wing shock jock' as it's possible for someone who presents a talk radio show to be.

I would like to second this emotion. I've read some bizarre things on this site over the years, but sensitive, erudite, Monkees-loving liberal Iain Lee being branded as a Jon Gaunt-style reactionary shock jock is definitely one of the weirdest.

Sin Agog

I wasn't branding, just asking.  I clearly have the wrong guy.  Plus I saw some clip of him prank-calling people on his after-midnight regional radio show and made assumptions.

I wouldn't base any opinion on him on his Monkees-love. I remember some New Labour front-bencher banging on about Forever Changes being his favourite album.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 13, 2018, 10:47:44 PM
Counter argument; Bruno is a fantastic film!

Bruno was brilliant. His boldest work. Not quite as funny as Borat, but a worthy follow-up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 14, 2018, 04:53:37 PM
Bruno was brilliant. His boldest work. Not quite as funny as Borat, but a worthy follow-up.

Absolutely agreed.  It did a great job at highlighting the rampant homophobia in America and other parts of the world.

Sin Agog

It is a drag that the ooligan movie put paid to his movie career.  There's always been something unique about how audiences reacted to them and the Jackasses in the cinema.  No other comedies elicited such a high hit-rate of chaotic hilarity in an audience, even if taken objectively they're kinda flimsy.  That's why I'm gunning for this not to seem like a floundering three-trick pony's atavistic attempts at relevancy, and be actually quite good.  Read some article about how he's only legitimizing Trump's fake news complaints, but not making things because of some nonsensical sloganeering would be far more like doing that.

Artemis

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 14, 2018, 04:53:37 PM

A serious case of diminishing returns when it comes to laughs, though. Not nearly as bad as what followed it, but a definite lurch towards 'make 'em laugh by shocking them' humour that he'd managed to more subtly navigate until that point.

SBC's apex was - in my opinion - his HBO television shows (which included Bruno). They were funnier than Borat, and much better than Bruno the movie.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 12, 2018, 03:51:59 PM
Thumb bandits remains the best thing any of the 11 o'clock alumni have done.
I enjoyed that.

By his own admission Iain Lee is a lazy bastard; quite content to do shite talking-heads things for channel 4/5 'cos they pay well for no effort and a radio show he makes up on the hoof.

Noodle Lizard

See, I didn't get on as much with the Bruno movie because quite often the character was so over-the-top inappropriate or sexually aggressive that I felt people's reactions were mostly justified, rather than necessarily exposing any prejudices.  The Ron Paul bit is a good example of this.

The TV segments and the Borat movie were far more effective at getting people to expose their latent/blatant bigotry or idiocy, I thought.

Hecate

Quote from: Artemis on July 14, 2018, 07:51:46 PMhis HBO television shows (which included Bruno). They were funnier than Borat, and much better than Bruno the movie.

This is fab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qrL6dWnoQ

Kryton

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 14, 2018, 07:58:36 PM
See, I didn't get on as much with the Bruno movie because quite often the character was so over-the-top inappropriate or sexually aggressive that I felt people's reactions were mostly justified, rather than necessarily exposing any prejudices.  The Ron Paul bit is a good example of this.

The TV segments and the Borat movie were far more effective at getting people to expose their latent/blatant bigotry or idiocy, I thought.

Agreed. Early Borat especially. One of things I admire about Cohen besides his fearlessness is his seemingly inability to corpse or reveal anything when in character, especially when he was a nobody. Apparently he refused to wash the Borat suit, so he had a kind of weird smell following him round too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 14, 2018, 07:58:36 PM

I suppose, but wasn't he putting them in those situations as a sort of revenge for their already established bigoted views? What would a crowd full of homophobic drunks hate the most? Two men having sex right in front of them! You could argue it's still not fair, but it's not like he was going up to random men on the street and sexually harassing them in the hope they'd call them a fag or something. In Borat, he would literally bother strangers.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hecate on July 14, 2018, 08:20:35 PM
This is fab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qrL6dWnoQ

Haha.  The little fist pumping wanker.

"Doo doo doo doo doo doo."

Quote from: Kryton on July 14, 2018, 10:46:15 PM
Agreed. Early Borat especially. One of things I admire about Cohen besides his fearlessness is his seemingly inability to corpse or reveal anything when in character...

Whilst Cohen does an admirable job overall, you can still occasionally see him corpse.  However, that only endears me to him further.

newbridge

God help me I actually found Grimsby quite amusing. But it's not the kind of film anyone whose career wasn't already in a tailspin would make.

I'm looking forward to the new show though. Making fun of right-wing Republicans in interviews is consistently funny even if it is incredibly easy. It was the only good part of the later years of the Jon Stewart Daily Show for example.

I also like Mike Love and think the stuff against him in BBs fandom is largely bollocks

How could anyone "like" Mike Love? Based on what? His co-writing credit for "Kokomo"?

To be fair, I was surprised read recently that he's not actually a right-wing Republican at all, even though I always assumed he was.