Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grotesque/bizarre game characters

Started by Clownbaby, July 09, 2018, 04:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Any Silent Hill fans? I've been playing Silent Hill Homecoming lately (on PS3) and I like it but it's so glitchy. I love this absolute mess

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hakan from Street Fighter 4

He's not the first weird looking character the series has played host to. However, where Blanka was meant to be some sort of mutant, Hakan is ostensibly a normal man. There's no given reason why he looks like Hellboy in a cycling helmet.

garbed_attic

Most of the Brothers in The Void, of course!

"I'm having a wheely good time!"

"I cannon bear my own existence!"

"My words are in-spear-ational!"

And not to forget M.C. Hammer!

Lemming

St_Eddie

I'm not sure that this really fits the thread but none the less, there's a boss fight with a character named Galek in Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, that had me in stitches on my last playthrough.  You can view the moment in question here.  It's the way in which he raises his arms like a gigantic angry metallic lobster and then goes "RRAAHHHHH!".  Absurdity at its finest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alvin Peats from Dreamfall is a little more on topic...

Who would ever look at that monstrosity and guess that he's called Alvin Peats?!

Phil_A

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 09, 2018, 04:37:53 PM
Any Silent Hill fans? I've been playing Silent Hill Homecoming lately (on PS3) and I like it but it's so glitchy. I love this absolute mess

I despise that game. I tried replaying it recently to see if my feelings towards it had softened from when I last played it(about 8 years ago), and nope, they hadn't. It's horrible.

The PC version, along with all the other bugs the other versions have, also crashes constantly, usually after you've been playing for around an hour.

Bhazor

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 09, 2018, 04:37:53 PM

Grotesque alright, it's like a low budget mishapen chinese knock off of the Closer.

bgmnts

Never heard Homecoming referred to as "alright" before.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 09, 2018, 05:45:16 PM
I'm not sure that this really fits the thread but none the less, there's a boss fight with a character named Galek in Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, that had me in stitches on my last playthrough.  You can view the moment in question here.  It's the way in which he raises his arms like a gigantic angry metallic lobster and then goes "RRAAHHHHH!".  Absurdity at its finest.

I remember that well. Pumping all your ammo into his shields to drop them then throwing your lightsabre at him while they're down. Pain in the arse sometimes though. You'd throw the lightsabre or launch a rocket and his shields would come back on.

Used to make my own missions out of downloaded maps and fill them with enemies. My brother was about 6 at the time and would fill maps with Galaks!

I'd put down the disgusting water.bloated Zombies from Dead Island as grotesque. Oh and the suiciders. Especially when they groan 'help meeeeeee'!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vCztPUbFpow

Bhazor

Quote from: bgmnts on July 10, 2018, 07:15:15 AM
Never heard Homecoming referred to as "alright" before.

Homecoming is absolute shite and my opinion of Clownbaby has plummeted.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Bhazor on July 10, 2018, 09:13:24 AM
Homecoming is absolute shite and my opinion of Clownbaby has plummeted.

I said I was a fan of silent hill, not silent hill homecoming. In my original post I said it was glitchy as shit. I like the idea of the game, but the first play through of it was such a fucking slog. DON'T LEAVE ME I CAN CHANGE

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 10, 2018, 08:50:14 AM
Used to make my own missions out of downloaded maps and fill them with enemies. My brother was about 6 at the time and would fill maps with Galaks!

Galak?! Dead!  Galak?! Dead!  Galek?! Dead!

Quote from: Malcy on July 10, 2018, 08:50:14 AMI'd put down the disgusting water.bloated Zombies from Dead Island as grotesque. Oh and the suiciders. Especially when they groan 'help meeeeeee'!

Ooohhhh, that reminds me of a good one from Resident Evil: RevelationsThe Comms Officer boss.

"May day."

"Leave Me Alone."

"Please stop!  I'm human!"

"Stop, stop, stop, stop!"

"I need help."

It's so freaky; this creature that's trying to kill you but still thinks that it's human and is asking for help the entire time, as you defend yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a similar note; when you reservse the audio on the headcrab zombies from Half-Life 2; their pleas are horrific.

Bhazor

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2018, 11:35:19 AM
It's so freaky; this creature that's trying to kill you but still thinks that it's human and is asking for help the entire time, as you defend yourself.

System Shock 2 was the first game I remember doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETtjZLSSIk

Speaking of the Midwife from the System Shock 2 hd mod. Mostly the idea of the maker of the mod painstakingly modding a rad pair of tits on her.

Blue Jam

All of the enemies in SOMA, but especially Robot Head Girl:

https://youtu.be/Le_euYfOY5g

The big reveal where you look in the mirror and see that you're not the living, breathing Simon Jarrett, you're merely the dead man's conscience uploaded to a robot with beady little LED eyes is genuinely unnerving, as is the bit where you step into the body scanner and it tells you that your robot body mainly consists of a corpse fused to a diving suit.

Bloodborne
Bloodborne
Bloodborne

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies

I've never seen a bestiary like it.

A man who has painfully transformed into a giant scorpion.
A giant man-eating boar, with clusters of malformed eyes sprouting across its head.
Women turned into gigantic, flea-like hopping monstrosities, complete with distended blood sac
A gigantic, motionless, tentacled brain with a single, staring eye embedded
Self-propelling wheeled caskets of corpses, melded together
People who have turned into multi-limbed, multi-eyed fly monsters who attempt to lay eggs in you
"Winter Lanterns", women with huge swollen, eye-covered brains, who cause near-instant madness ... and who sing!

Cloud

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Bazooka on July 11, 2018, 04:38:33 PM
This poor cunt:

is there a gamer alive who didn't lock him in the walk in freezer

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 11, 2018, 05:31:14 PM

I doubt it.  Personally, I always locked him in there because I figured it was his dream to live out the rest of his days in the far-flung future.  The cunt certainly didn't look too happy in the present.

Malcy

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 11, 2018, 05:31:14 PM

Used to live doing that. Didn't he fart when he shuffled around as well?

Quote from: ErnestTakadichi on July 11, 2018, 03:10:47 PM
Bloodborne
Bloodborne
Bloodborne

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies

I've never seen a bestiary like it.

A man who has painfully transformed into a giant scorpion.
A giant man-eating boar, with clusters of malformed eyes sprouting across its head.
Women turned into gigantic, flea-like hopping monstrosities, complete with distended blood sac
A gigantic, motionless, tentacled brain with a single, staring eye embedded
Self-propelling wheeled caskets of corpses, melded together
People who have turned into multi-limbed, multi-eyed fly monsters who attempt to lay eggs in you
"Winter Lanterns", women with huge swollen, eye-covered brains, who cause near-instant madness ... and who sing!

I couldn't decide which enemy to add to this thread, so I'm glad you posted this. It's a spectacle of grotesque creativity. My favourite or, rather, the enemy which I want to kill as a quickly as possible because it repulses me is the poetically named Garden of Eyes.

Of course, from a still image you don't get the disgusting fluttering of the leafy wings, or the scampering or that heart-stopping leap. There's no sense of 'am I the baddy here?' You feel like an exterminator, it's almost mercy killing. Beautifully barbaric.

Urinal Cake

SMT and Persona take the cake. Though it's a bit of cheating since they're using mythology. Shows how unimaginative we've become.
https://mobile.twitter.com/azizhud/status/724878729642647552
Here's a few NSFW examples

Jerzy Bondov

I'm a fan of Bloodborne's Blood Starved Beast, which has an enormous flap of torn skin on its back:

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 12, 2018, 10:14:30 AM
I'm a fan of Bloodborne's Blood Starved Beast, which has an enormous flap of torn skin on its back:

Hate that cunt

BSB was a huge wall for me. Died so many times, and stopped using items for fear of wasting them so just started spiralling and getting worse and worse. That fucking run from the lamp, down the rooftops as well! 

Eventually said fuck it, parried recklessly, used fire paper, chucked pungent cocktails and got a desperate, flailing barely-victory.

And then, finding another one just hanging around in that cave in the Hunters Nightmare later on really freaked me out.

AsparagusTrevor

BSB was the end of the game for me. After several deaths at his spindly hands I couldn't bear taking the excruciatingly long and difficult journey to his lair another time.

As much as I love the game, and I really do love it, there's a lot of time I wish I could get back.

The run to BSB, the run to Logarius, the run to the Shadows of Yharnam, not to mention the hours spent fighting said giant incomprehensible piles of screeching, clipping polygons over and over again.

Nothing worse than a 3+ minutes run to the fog gate, only to be slaughtered in 3 seconds and sent back to do it again. You add that time up; 3 minutes running to a boss fight, and if you die 20 times you've spent an entire hour just holding 'up.'

It's the best game I've played in years, and the trembling, breathless euphoria when you do finally put down one of those eldritch abominations is second to none, but I look back at everything I did and the time I spent and I'm not entirely sure it was all worth it.

I once spent an entire day off farming 27.2 DMG UP blood gems (and a whole host of other gems I couldn't use) from a Cursed Defiled Isz Chalice Dungeon. Wasn't too long after that I decided I'd drained every drop from the game. I don't even have it installed any more. I went way way too deep for too long. Incredible game but the thought of almost all of it makes me feel quite queasy now.