Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP OLIVER KNUSSEN

Started by Twit 2, July 09, 2018, 05:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

sevendaughters

read about this on the Guardian website, had never heard of him but listened to Symphony #3, really brilliant and bold, amazing tonal shifts, eager to check out more.

Twit 2

There used to be a lot on CD, on the Deutsche Gramophon 20/21 series, but I guess they've long since been deleted. The disc that has the Horn Concerto/Whitman Settings etc is a really good starting point. There's a fair bit of his stuff on YouTube, but by no means everything, so 2nd hand CDs seem the best bet. The Maurice Sendak operas are worth getting, for sure.

He really was astonishingly good, though, and I hope there is due fuss over him in the next while. He puts most contemporary composers to shame, he was someone of the calibre of Ravel or Stravinsky, though obviously not as prolific as the latter, or even the former. Last year I watched him conduct what is now his last work, settings of haiku for soprano and chamber orchestra. Exquisite. Seemed like a truly lovely and inspirational bloke to be around, too. I imagine the Aldeburgh Festival will go all out in tribute to him next year.

Twit 2

I'm going to the Knussen tribute concert at Snape next week (Aldeburgh Festival). Should be good.

This concert/tribute is amazing:

https://youtu.be/DINxttrYtzA

Lots of lovely filmed inserts of notables such as Simon Rattle singing his praises. Some beautiful heartwarming stories that confirm what a total top bloke he was (I'm pretty sure he was a Seinfeld/Curb fan).

If you are wondering who the fuck Knussen is or doubt his genius, this will explain in a minute and a half:

https://youtu.be/RUViyclhtc4