Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:02:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All time biggest comedy mistakes

Started by Clownbaby, July 10, 2018, 12:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

madhair60

I agree with Madhair, they had the perfect happy ending, then they took it all away.

LORD BAD VIBE

Hancock ditching Galton & Simpson has to be up there.

Trojan_Jockey

Michael Richards at the Laugh Factory

manticore

I loved John Sessions in Whose Line is it Anyway, but then he got terribly overconfident and did some solo improvised shows that crucified me with embarrassment (slight exaggeration). I don't know if there's a comic in the world who could carry off half an hour of improv with no one to play off.

Glebe

Quote from: madhair60 on July 10, 2018, 12:40:43 PM
Bringing back OF&H

Did you see that huge mistake in one episode where Del Boy fell through the bar?

Chollis

Clownbaby

Quote from: manticore on July 10, 2018, 02:03:17 PM
I loved John Sessions in Whose Line is it Anyway, but then he got terribly overconfident and did some solo improvised shows that crucified me with embarrassment (slight exaggeration). I don't know if there's a comic in the world who could carry off half an hour of improv with no one to play off.

He's one of them who works well as part of a group of people doing things, but is not strong enough on his own. Panel show performer.

biggytitbo

Laurel and Hardy moving to 20th Century Fox.

madhair60

Bringing back Futurama for those fucking AIDS movies and shit new series

gilbertharding

Oh yeah - I remember that. We didn't have Channel 4 in our house for AGES so I'd never seen him or Whose Line is it Anyway. So when he turned up with his own show on BBC2, with a fairly massive fanfair ("The STAR of HIT SHOW 'Whose Line is it Anyway', HERE with his BRAND NEW one man SHOW!!! It's all iMpRoViSeD!!!) I definitely remember thinking 'this sounds like kind of a big deal: If I don't watch this, I'll get called square in the playground again.'

Thirty minutes later: 'Not exactly funny, is it?'

phantom_power

No second series of Filthy Rich and Catflap
Cancelling Better Off Ted
Continuing Blackadder after Goes Forth

Clownbaby

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2018, 04:53:19 PM
No second series of Filthy Rich and Catflap
Cancelling Better Off Ted
Continuing Blackadder after Goes Forth

Better Off Ted was pretty good. By the 2nd season it was reallt starting to get crackin' and it's a massive shame it didn't get a couple more seasons. I wasn't really keen on the guy they cast to play Ted though. I think he was the weak link. Lem and Phil are ma boys though

Icehaven

wosl

Jacques Tati falling out with Pierre Etaix.

Malcy

Quote from: madhair60 on July 10, 2018, 03:16:56 PM
Bringing back Futurama for those fucking AIDS movies and shit new series

Worth it for the Susan Boyle joke though.

pigamus

thenoise

Red Dwarf bringing back Kochanski, writing Holly out of the show, bringing back the Red Dwarf crew, reprising Dwaine Dibley beyond the point where it was remotely funny any more, .....

Bottom doing the live stage shows and constantly breaking the fourth wall which broke the spell of them being a pair of losers in a dingy flat in Hammersmith. They broke the fourth wall every now and again in the TV show but not enough to mess things up. The live shows just weren't that funny either, swearing does not always equal mirth.

New Jack

^ Bottom Live was contrived a bit wasn't it? Like accidentally hitting eachother or or the other audience whooping-up bits

I would nominate the same simply for duplicating the moments on tour

See also: TMWRNJ live and 'Pliny' 'Breaking'

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: New Jack on July 10, 2018, 06:53:01 PM
^ Bottom Live was contrived a bit wasn't it? Like accidentally hitting eachother or or the other audience whooping-up bits

I would nominate the same simply for duplicating the moments on tour

See also: TMWRNJ live and 'Pliny' 'Breaking'
Weren't the corpsing bits in the stage show the same every time? I have a memory of a mate who went to see three different shows on the same tour and said the fake asides and corpsing were in identical moments. Could be wrong, I suppose.

Pretty much my memory of it. Years later, I listened to the original radio show and I felt the same way for him there; that "well, if I'd had the same education as him I might find some of these references funny, I suppose".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on July 10, 2018, 06:37:49 PM
Red Dwarf bringing back Kochanski, writing Holly out of the show, bringing back the Red Dwarf crew, reprising Dwaine Dibley beyond the point where it was remotely funny any more, .....

Should've knocked it on the head when Rob Grant left really.

biggytitbo

Cold Meat Platter

Autopsy Turvey

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 10, 2018, 11:46:35 PM
Heil Honey I'm Home.

Just reading that, sounds like something off of TVGoHome.

I then got sidetracked and looked at some of the other stuff made by Galaxy and think we were the losers in that BSB/Sky battle.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Day The Clown Cried.

I know it's not a comedy, well it's not supposed to be, but it must be one of the most notorious examples of a comedian making a massive error of judgement.