Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All time biggest comedy mistakes

Started by Clownbaby, July 10, 2018, 12:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trabuch

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 14, 2018, 11:35:55 AM
I proper enjoyed "Natalie Cassidy." I really like Morgana Robinson and I want to see more of her on things.

Me too. Although I do find that when she is doing Natalie Cassidy, her resemblance to Sadowitz is a little bit distracting.

smudge1971

Quote from: trabuch on July 15, 2018, 02:50:58 PM
Me too. Although I do find that when she is doing Natalie Cassidy, her resemblance to Sadowitz is a little bit distracting.
That's put me right off me 3pm wank that has.

smudge1971

Quote from: kngen on July 15, 2018, 12:51:41 PM
Bizarre. I was thinking of videos I could remember from that series, and that was the first one that  popped into my head
Me too. That show aired the same week as the last episode of The Young Ones and the last episode of Scully and since we were on holiday I had recorded them on the timer. I watched that tape all through the six week holidays and Steamhammer Sam was the first thing I ever searched for and bought on eBay. And "ya big spanner" in that meter is a long-standing retort among my oppos.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: manticore on July 14, 2018, 02:41:29 PM
Yes but you're missing out the first series of his show which didn't have interviews (I don't think), and was just him on his own as a strange and amusing character and was good.
I watched it all, but I barely remember that first series (I think I was skipping through the music videos I didn't like, so the shows were quite short) - I, of course, defer to your better memory. I quite liked the interview idea - it might have been funny if they'd gone the "Space Ghost Coast To Coast" route and substituted different questions after the fact.

manticore

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 15, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
I watched it all, but I barely remember that first series (I think I was skipping through the music videos I didn't like, so the shows were quite short) - I, of course, defer to your better memory.

Ha! I'm winging it based on vague fragments of what I think I remember I remember.

Okay here's a little compilation of the first series that gives an indication of what I liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt56RMbpq_0&t=10s

Clownbaby

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 15, 2018, 02:04:11 PM
Season 4 wasn't even that bad. I'd like to see how it would play if the fans didn't know Dan Harmon had been fired, I bet they would barely know the difference, apart from maybe thinking it wasn't as good as the first three. The third season itself was a bit naff towards the end, especially what they were doing with Abed. Dan Harmon is deified by those people though, so what can ya do. They were desperate to make NBC the bad guy when Harmon was being unprofessional, both in the public feud with Chevy and the way he behaved behind the scenes that we've only recently learned about.

They should have ditched the show when Glover left. Harmon and everyone else knew that the show had lost a key life force, but it was trying to limp on to prove some point.

Exactly. They got hell bent on fulfilling "six seasons and a movie", Donald Glover's leaving hit the tone of the show hard as well. What annoyed me was people saying it was all Chevy Chase's fault for being difficult, as he is known for being, because if what I've read is anything to go by, Dan Harmon was every bit as difficult. I started off liking him but I bet he's a pain in the arse to talk to. Such a smug bugger.

I'd heard so many bad things about season 4, I went into it warily expecting an absolute mess but it really wasn't that bad, you're right. I really liked the episode Jim Rash wrote. I do not think I would've known that Dan Harmon hadn't been around for that series.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 16, 2018, 09:30:35 AM
What annoyed me was people saying it was all Chevy Chase's fault for being difficult, as he is known for being, because if what I've read is anything to go by, Dan Harmon was every bit as difficult. I started off liking him but I bet he's a pain in the arse to talk to. Such a smug bugger.

Yeah, the problem was that Chevy had some legitimate issues with the way his character was being written, but he was dismissed as the clueless old man who doesn't get the cool young comedy. Chevy got pissed off and Harmon decided to air that publicly on his podcast. That's not to say Chevy isn't difficult in his own ways, but that feud was misrepresented. Also, it came to light recently that he mistreated writer Megan Ganz on the show after she rejected his advances. He's apologised for it, she has accepted it, everyone's moved on, but it certainly shows a different angle to what the fans were pushing. NBC gave Community more seasons than it deserved AND reinstated Harmon. The one thing that can be said for NBC is that they probably didn't promote the show that well, but it was never going to have mainstream appeal anyway.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 14, 2018, 07:19:23 PM
Is there a list of the music videos played (I'm only interested in that first 'season')? This is one I fondly remember

https://youtu.be/mRfhZ_F0u30

Steamhammer Sam!  Remember really liking that when it got airplay on Radio One in early-1984.  Just heard it again for the first time in about thirty-four years.  First time I've seen the video, too. 

Interesting to get the background to the song, here: http://www.simonfellowes.com/music.html

jobotic

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 14, 2018, 11:35:55 AM
I proper enjoyed "Natalie Cassidy." I really like Morgana Robinson and I want to see more of her on things.

Just watching this now. When she had her series on a couple of years ago I thought the Natalie Cassidy bit was weak and quite cruel, but I'm really laughing at this now. "Hung like a doughnut".

This programme seems better without the lads.

Clownbaby

Quote from: jobotic on July 16, 2018, 11:18:24 PM
Just watching this now. When she had her series on a couple of years ago I thought the Natalie Cassidy bit was weak and quite cruel, but I'm really laughing at this now. "Hung like a doughnut".

This programme seems better without the lads.

I'm getting a bit sick of seeing Jimmy Carr on everything so this was the first time Ive watched 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown in ages. I dreaded tons of slightly resentful jokes about how women aren't in enough things but luckily they were mainly just kept at the start. "Natalie Cassidy" should replace Joe Wilkinson as a regular.

I'm pretty sure the real Natalie Cassidy thinks Morgana's impression is a right laugh and even impersonated the impression of herself in an interview a while ago, I've seen that Morgana likes Natalie a lot as a person and impressions seem to be how she shows that. She's mates with Fearne Cotton as well, who has said she likes her Fearne Cotton impression.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 13, 2018, 11:09:49 AM
I remember the 90s as being a lot more right-on than today.

In what way? I thought the 90s were a reaction against the right-onness of 80s alternative comedy, with the New Laddism business selling 'ironic' sexism as well as the growth of completely apolitical comedy, although even Vic & Bob were happy to black up. Do you mean the 'give each oppressed minority their own sketch show' attitude?

Quote from: (Ex poster) on July 13, 2018, 11:20:38 AM
That's why the 90s were the peak of Bernard Manning's career.

In what way? Surely his career peaked in the 70s, when he was on television every week?

Dr Rock

He's thinking of Bernard Matthews.

neardark

I have a theory that Ricky Tomlinson wrote 90% of those Royle Family episodes post-Queen of Sheba. They're so unbelievably shit I don't see how they can be written by the same Aherne and Cash.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: neardark on July 28, 2018, 01:49:45 PM
I have a theory that Ricky Tomlinson wrote 90% of those Royle Family episodes post-Queen of Sheba. They're so unbelievably shit I don't see how they can be written by the same Aherne and Cash.
Phil Mealey's credited as co-writer on all the specials after Queen of Sheeba and none of the series proper. Coincidence?

yesitsme

Anyone said bringing AWP back AND bringing it back to BBC1?

I'm currently rewatching it from scratch a couple of episodes at a time on a Friday when all my house is sleeping and it is without shadow of doubt THE best TV show ever to come out of the UK.  If it was about a group of American I-tallians or American meth-lab dudes people would rave about it.  But it isn't and they don't.  Well I do.

Funny, sad, funny, melancholy, humdrum, funny but never maudlin or stuffed up to the eyeballs with pathos like OFAH was.

When it ended it was time to go and that should have been that.  All that bollocks aobut he Transporter Bridge and Wayne's son turning up like Poochie - hadawayanshiteman!

I'm currently at the one where they brick up Tiger's pub door.

I know someone who thinks This is Jinsy was great.

But he also loves Mrs Brown's Boys.

Autopsy Turvey

Quite agree, 80s Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is as good as anything ever produced anywhere. In fact, when I was 10 I started my own AWP fanzine, with pencil drawings of the lads and juvenile fanfic (they go to the beach and argue about how to build the best sandcastle).

I wouldn't say it was a mistake to bring them back, but Wayne's son was a non-starter of a character and a charmless actor; it wasn't on VT; it didn't have Joe Fagin doing the theme tunes; and the implausible high-stakes plotting became more important than the claustrophobic character interaction, so mistakes were made in bringing them back, even if those are the mistakes that presumably got it commissioned.

yesitsme

This is the first time I've spoken about my love for AWP for a while.
Last night on the way home out of the blue the taxi driver said he'd met Tim Healy recently in a charity golf match.  'He's a right prick' the driver informed me.

THEN listening to the Chart Music podcast last night the run down of the Top 10 featured That's Livin' Allright.

Three mentions of AWP on the same day - what are the chances?

Autopsy Turvey

Hang on, That's Livin' Alright is in the Top 10?!?