Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All time biggest comedy mistakes

Started by Clownbaby, July 10, 2018, 12:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

NEW PAGE!  NOW THAT'S THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF ALL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Royle Family - I'm aware that a fair few people on this forum think that 'The Queen of Sheeba' was where the rot set in but personally, I love said episode and felt that it was the perfect send off for the series; funny and full of pathos (the scene with Nana singing 'Que Sera Sera' to Barbara never fails to leave me floods of tears).  The episode also marked the one and only time that, up to that point, we had ever seen the characters outside of their family home, when they visit Nana in hospital, just prior to her death.  If there was ever a reason for the show to leave the confines of the Royle's abode, then this was it.  Perfect.

Then, two years later, they followed it up with another Christmas special, which was set within Dave and Denise's flat for the entire episode (it should be noted that a Christmas dinner is not on the same par as Nana's impending death, as far as worthy reasons go, to see outside of the usual Royle residence).  It was awful, not least because it was completely different to the show which had proceeded it, with scenes comprising of broad sitcom gags, which would have felt more at home in your average episode of Mrs. Brown's Boys (such as Dave taking a bath with the defrosting Christmas turkey), then in the previously relatively grounded setting of The Royle Family.

All of the characters had become grotesque, cartoonish caricatures of their former, relatable selves.  As a result, it made for an even more depressing Christmas showing than the traditional afternoon viewing of a little boy's best friend, melted away into a puddle of non-existence in The Snowman.  Although, to be fair, since then, Channel 4 have one upped The Royle Family in the depressing 'should have left well enough alone' stakes, by producing the appalling The Snowman and the Snowdog, which if Raymond Briggs's classic tale, is carefully constructed from the purest of whitest snow, then this bastardised followup is hastily clumped together from the brown, muddy scrapings found beneath a rusty car's deflated tyre. 

There were multiple more The Royle Family specials, which followed over the years and they all failed to do anything to justify their continued existence, with one of them featuring the family going on a caravaning holiday.  At this point, it seemed clear that either Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash had completely forgotten the premise of the show, or they'd simply given up on trying to make anything halfway decent anymore, instead turning to a tired variation on the old 'the characters go on holiday to Spain; hilarity ensues' trope.  What I'm about to say is incredibly callous, believe me, I'm painfully aware of that but when Caroline Aherne tragically passed away in 2016, there was a small, tiny part of me, which was almost relieved at the silver lining of a classic sitcom's reputation, being desecrated no further.

Harold Angryperson

I've been on a massive Spitting Image binge lately and can't help thinking it would still be hugely fondly remembered today if they hadn't plodded on after Thatcher retired. Losing their star turn was the first sign that it would no longer be the show it used to be, though Bill Dare taking over as producer seemed to signal a turn away from vitriolic satire and more toward the Dead Ringers approach of gentle ribaldry. Major was no replacement, really. If they'd just ended it with the admittedly brilliant episode where she's lying in an open coffin people would still say it was a high watermark of television satire instead of something that used to excellent but went down the crapper.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on July 11, 2018, 03:14:15 PM

I've heard about this many times and tried searching for it many times. Is is erased from history?

It seems to be the case, like the Marc Wootton Jonathan Ross interview as soon as it's posted on youtube it's removed within a day or so.

Harold Angryperson

Somethin else that I've heard about but never seen - Buster Merryfield coming a cropper at the Comedy Awards or possibly the BAFTAs, apparently he went arse over head, claret and everything. Was this actually televised?

The Roofdog

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 11, 2018, 04:24:57 PM
There were multiple more The Royle Family specials, which followed over the years and they all failed to do anything to justify their continued existence, with one of them featuring the family going on a caravaning holiday.

The one with Dave's parents is a comic masterpiece compared to the caravan one. Completely wretched.

Jockice

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 11, 2018, 04:24:57 PM
NEW PAGE!  NOW THAT'S THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF ALL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Royle Family - I'm aware that a fair few people on this forum think that 'The Queen of Sheeba' was where the rot set in but personally, I love said episode and felt that it was the perfect send off for the series; funny and full of pathos (the scene with Nana singing 'Que Sera Sera' to Barbara never fails to leave me floods of tears).  The episode also marked the one and only time that, up to that point, we had ever seen the characters outside of their family home, when they visit Nana in hospital, just prior to her death.  If there was ever a reason for the show to leave the confines of the Royle's abode, then this was it.  Perfect.

Then, two years later, they followed it up with another Christmas special, which was set within Dave and Denise's flat for the entire episode (it should be noted that a Christmas dinner is not on the same par as Nana's impending death, as far as worthy reasons go, to see outside of the usual Royle residence).  It was awful, not least because it was completely different to the show which had proceeded it, with scenes comprising of broad sitcom gags, which would have felt more at home in your average episode of Mrs. Brown's Boys (such as Dave taking a bath with the defrosting Christmas turkey), then in the previously relatively grounded setting of The Royle Family.

All of the characters had become grotesque, cartoonish caricatures of their former, relatable selves.  As a result, it made for an even more depressing Christmas showing than the traditional afternoon viewing of a little boy's best friend, melted away into a puddle of non-existence in The Snowman.  Although, to be fair, since then, Channel 4 have one upped The Royle Family in the depressing 'should have left well enough alone' stakes, by producing the appalling The Snowman and the Snowdog, which if Raymond Briggs's classic tale, is carefully constructed from the purest of whitest snow, then this bastardised followup is hastily clumped together from the brown, muddy scrapings found beneath a rusty car's deflated tyre. 

There were multiple more The Royle Family specials, which followed over the years and they all failed to do anything to justify their continued existence, with one of them featuring the family going on a caravaning holiday.  At this point, it seemed clear that either Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash had completely forgotten the premise of the show, or they'd simply given up on trying to make anything halfway decent anymore, instead turning to a tired variation on the old 'the characters go on holiday to Spain; hilarity ensues' trope.  What I'm about to say is incredibly callous, believe me, I'm painfully aware of that but when Caroline Aherne tragically passed away in 2016, there was a small, tiny part of me, which was almost relieved at the silver lining of a classic sitcom's reputation, being desecrated no further.

I haven't watched a single second of The Royle Family since the Queen Of Sheba. It's one of the five worst things I've seen in TV in my life

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jockice on July 11, 2018, 07:54:35 PM
I haven't watched a single second of The Royle Family since the Queen Of Sheba. It's one of the five worst things I've seen in TV in my life

Then you chose the right time to bail.  Regardless of what one thinks of 'The Queen of Sheba', the specials which followed were infinitely worse.

Phil_A

Quote from: Harold Angryperson on July 11, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
Somethin else that I've heard about but never seen - Buster Merryfield coming a cropper at the Comedy Awards or possibly the BAFTAs, apparently he went arse over head, claret and everything. Was this actually televised?

It was, it was horrible. To his credit, he was up on his feet putting a brave face on it soon after, but he was clearly in a sorry state.

The most baffling thing is that the following year, trailers for the show featured the Merryfield tumble in a Wonder Showzen-style FUNNY/NOT FUNNY bit. I swear they even played it backwards with a comedy sound effect. One of the most jaw-droppingly poor taste decisions I think I've ever seen.

Clive Langham

I think Rik Mayall doing The New Statesman was a mistake. He was great in it, but I don't think the scripts were up to much, and he wasn't involved with the writing, and I certainly think it's aged badly.

neveragain

Quote from: Phil_A on July 11, 2018, 08:26:00 PM
The most baffling thing is that the following year, trailers for the show featured the Merryfield tumble in a Wonder Showzen-style FUNNY/NOT FUNNY bit. I swear they even played it backwards with a comedy sound effect. One of the most jaw-droppingly poor taste decisions I think I've ever seen.

Seriously?

Psmith

Hancock sacked G&S .Which worked out well for the rest of because then we got Steptoe.Which was just as good ,if not better.
Rising Damp should have taken a break while Miss Jones was treading the boards.
Mash went on too long and should have stopped before Potter arrived.
Mrs Browns Boys.

PlasticTom

Any time Russell Brand appears live before an audience of more than two or three people. Keep him on podcasts and radio shows and he's fantastic, but the show-off part that kicks in when in front of a crowd takes over so significantly that it changes his personality and makes him completely unfunny. Even a few extra people in the studio (especially women) can derail him.

checkoutgirl

I've heard about this many times and tried searching for it many times. Is is erased from history?

Erased from YouTube and any video host I'm sure for the sake of spared embarrassment. I've seen it though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Eddie Murphy's homophobic material in the otherwise brilliant Delirious. It's just so nasty and ignorant.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: PlasticTom on July 11, 2018, 10:39:18 PM
Keep him on podcasts and radio shows and he's fantastic

Beg to differ.

non capisco

Mackenzie Crook and Iain Lee Sing 'The Cock Song'

It's the 'The Day The Clown Cried' of the 21st century.

Seriously, in the good few years this was viewable on YouTube I watched it over and over again. It was exquisitely shit. Poor Mackenzie was very visibly not into performing it. I was dying to watch the entire 'Crook And Lee' pilot to see if there was anything else so addictively rubbish in it. I probably know the whole wretched sketch word for word by heart, not to paint too sad a picture of myself. "Iain, you're a hit with the ladies...well, it ain't no word of a lie...". I think none other than Bob Mortimer directed it. Probably doesn't put that on his CV.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The "catchphrases" sketch was also on YT for a while.

TV Burp latterly having such long runs and not finishing as a series sooner.  Quantity over quality became the rule.  Knitted Character and Wagbo were populist bilge.

zomgmouse

Shaky

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 11, 2018, 10:15:20 PM
Carry On Columbus.

I have a huge soft spot (Matronnnnnnn!) for Carry On Columbus. While it's not great it's certainly a better end to the series than either England or Emmanuelle. There's a sprinkling of amusing innuendo (June Whitfield's "I've seen his testimonials!" still makes me chuckle) and the performances are all very game, Jim Dale's in particular.

Are You Being Served was funny in the 70s.  It had worn out its welcome by the 80s.  Should have finished after '79.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 11, 2018, 01:52:39 AM
For Your Consideration.
Aww really? It's a bit of a mess, but I kind of liked it. Certainly don't think it fits the thread, at least

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Phil_A on July 11, 2018, 08:26:00 PM
It was, it was horrible. To his credit, he was up on his feet putting a brave face on it soon after, but he was clearly in a sorry state.

Ha I remember that ad! Always thought I must have imagined it. The 90s truly were a different time

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 11, 2018, 10:44:50 PM
Eddie Murphy's homophobic material in the otherwise brilliant Delirious. It's just so nasty and ignorant.

He had a distinct misogynist vibe in Raw if I'm not mistaken.

Fambo Number Mive

Have I Got News For You sticking with guest presenters. Got rid of any traces of satire and gave Johnson another way to appeal to the public.

zomgmouse

Quote from: a peepee tipi on July 12, 2018, 07:14:06 AM
Aww really? It's a bit of a mess, but I kind of liked it. Certainly don't think it fits the thread, at least

Yeah I really enjoyed For Your Consideration too!

Utter Shit

Which Royle Family episode had the fucking cocktail which was a bowl of WKD with a banana floating in it? That was the point at which it really became absolutely clear that the writers either didn't care about, or actively hated, all the characters involved.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 10, 2018, 12:03:40 PM
THIS IS JINSY

One of the Radiohead's recommended this at the time so I gave it a go...
Probably not the worst thing ever made, but had a completely airless depressing atmosphere like a broken cutscene in a PS2 era RPG.
And it was just dogshit.
My overriding memory is the lingering sadness I felt when it finished, when I should have been relieved.