Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphones recommendations (yet again)

Started by PaulTMA, July 10, 2018, 12:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Had to bid farewell to my Sennheiser HD 25s after six years of good service as I lost them while out pissed a couple of weeks ago.  Have since replaced them with a new pair of Sennheiser HD 25 Plus, but what I could so with would be a a relatively cheap pair (around £30 or less) that would be less traumatic to lose, to use as a 'going out' pair - rather than just using crap Apple earbuds which I have several  - which would also work OK as a second set to have when someone is round recording with me.  Any tips?  Looking for something full size, over the ears and whatnot.  Sound quality and durability are obvious plusses, though admittedly it's within a low price range.

Bobtoo

I use Sony ZX310 headphones. The sound quality seems ok to my knackered old ears and they are reasonably robust. At £20 It's not a disaster if they get lost or broken.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2669102.htm?cmpid=APP003

QDRPHNC

Over your price range, but I'm loving the AKG Y50s.

Sebastian Cobb

Sennheiser HD206's aren't bad if a bit plasticy. £30.

I'd actually recommend Koss Porta Pro's but they don't meet your requirements, I've used them practically every day all day at work for years and all I've had to do was change the foam. I don't really like over-ears.  Couple of people at work use AKG K550's at work all day and I dunno how their ears don't feel like they're burning.

PaulTMA

Thanks for the tips.  I got the Sonys mentioned, for £15 something quid and £3.50 2 year accidental damage cover then I guess I can't go too wrong unless I lose these as well.

The HD 25 Plus has a Velour ear pad option which I've been using, I've heard it's really good for avoiding itching which I had been getting from prolonged use of my HD 25.  So far so good.

Z

I get kinda pissed off when I see someone out and about with full sized headphones on. It's like, "shouldn't you listen for traffic and shit, dude?!

Meanwhile I wear earphones with those foam earplug type things on them; that's fine of course, cos it's harder to notice.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 13, 2018, 08:40:28 PM
I'd actually recommend Koss Porta Pro's but they don't meet your requirements
I'd strongly not recommend them for heavy outdoor usage tbh, there's a reason they have a lifetime warranty in the US. They're great but I ripped the cables out of the ears of two of them in ways that were impossible for me to repair (I sent both off when I was in the US years later and got brand new pairs back in spite of one of them being quite clearly mangled to hell by me).

Now, if they've extended that warranty beyond the US, I'd recommend them too.

magval

Didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm looking for a decent pair of 'phones for home. Not fussed if wired or wireless. Will be running through a Denon M41DAB (thanks for the recommendation CaB!) in order to listen to films (through TV), CDs and LPs.

I have only one real requirement - no apps. No fiddly bollox. I just want plug and play, I don't want to have to adjust settings on the headphones through my mobile (EQ, bass, direction etc) as WELL as on the hifi.

Does such a thing exist? I ask because I've had two sets of review 'phones recently that had mandatory app interaction and I just want a reliable name, a bit of versatility and comfort. No Alexa, etc.

Does such a thing exist? Let's say the budget's £200.

Cuntbeaks

Can't really go wrong with these for home use, very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=asc_df_B0016MNAAI

After being impressed by the clarity of the Brainwavz IEMs i got last year, but despondent regarding their lack of any real bass, i shelled out for a pair of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oriveti-Hybrid-Triple-Driver-Earphones/dp/B07R68P9BL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=oriveti+oh300&qid=1561408490&s=gateway&sprefix=Orivet&sr=8-3

And they are a revelation. Incredible detail and soundstage along with wonderfully smooth and muscular bass. I find my foot constantly tapping away at work, perhaps getting too drawn in to the music. A risk I'm willing to take.

magval

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 24, 2019, 09:40:20 PM
Can't really go wrong with these for home use, very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=asc_df_B0016MNAAI

I'm going to try these out - do I need to be conscious of Ohms, in terms of the unit they'll be plugged into?

sponk

Grados are pretty good though they're uncomfortable for me. You could get some sr 225's for your budget.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: magval on June 24, 2019, 11:04:08 PM
I'm going to try these out - do I need to be conscious of Ohms, in terms of the unit they'll be plugged into?

If they're going into an amp, then the 80s or 250s will be fine. If you want some potential flexibility to use them with a DAP for example, then go for the 80s. Those are the ones i have and they're a good compromise, easier to drive.

magval

No, truth is I don't even know what that means. Look forward to giving these a go.

wosl

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 24, 2019, 09:40:20 PMOriveti OH300 IEMs

[A] revelation. Incredible detail and soundstage along with wonderfully smooth and muscular bass. I find my foot constantly tapping away at work, perhaps getting too drawn in to the music. A risk I'm willing to take.

I can echo how good Oriveti IEMs are - I've a got a pair of the model that the OH300 replaced, the New Primacy, and they do a really terrific job from top to bottom.  Excellent construction for the price (aluminium shells), a nice braided cable and really comfortably shaped; they fit well nigh as good as Westones.  Orivetis are worth checking out before their star rises, along with their prices.

Glebe

I bought a pair of Harman JBL 'pure bass sound' headphones last week for €30 in a Carphone Warehouse, but I've not tired them out yet.

bgmnts

Can I be a pedantic cunt and clarify if its headphones or earphones you want or aren't fussed?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: wosl on June 25, 2019, 12:17:21 AM
I can echo how good Oriveti IEMs are - I've a got a pair of the model that the OH300 replaced, the New Primacy, and they do a really terrific job from top to bottom.  Excellent construction for the price (aluminium shells), a nice braided cable and really comfortably shaped; they fit well nigh as good as Westones.  Orivetis are worth checking out before their star rises, along with their prices.
I was tempted by the New Primacy ones, until i saw the OH300s which have just come out. The cable alone is a serious bit of kit, worth the £50 extra just for that and the same as the £500 OH500s. The shells are made of some type of tough resin and are a lot heftier than my previous IEMs, but still a great fit and very comfortable.  Even the leather carry case is a joy behold.

djtrees

Can I geg in here and ask an earphone/headphone related question? Thanks.
I've just got a new phone with no jack, so headphones I'm using have a usb c to jack dongle thingy. However they keep kind of shutting down. Music is still playing but no sound and it sounds like a crackly amp shitting itself as it fades out. What the fuck is tat all about? I've vaguely found something about the DAC in the dongle being shit! Would another dongle sort it out, or do I have to get twatty bluetooth earphones?
Cheers

Sebastian Cobb

If you like the headphones you have you could get a bluetooth adaptor for about a tenner; less chance of breaking your phone's usb socket that way.

magval

Quote from: bgmnts on June 25, 2019, 12:40:18 AM
Can I be a pedantic cunt and clarify if its headphones or earphones you want or aren't fussed?

Course mate, headphones. My abbreviation to 'phones was misleading. I'm looking for overears.

Sebastian Cobb

Here's a question for duncan or buzby, is there a proper name for the 2 pin connectors used on in-ear monitors?

The official IEM leads are all quite expensive, and I only want to butcher the leads for a couple of moulded connectors.

Basically I want to solder a couple of sockets where the cables go to my Koss Porta Pro's and hook these up, but reckon the leads will need extending: