Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's got to be plastic cheese. Hasn't it?

Started by Shit Good Nose, July 11, 2018, 11:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on July 14, 2018, 09:42:42 PM
I'm not actually all that fussed about burgers. In a gastropub or whatever, if you see me order the burger it'll be because there's literally nothing else on the menu I want to eat. Though I do quite like GBK.

I think we've reached peak burger now, and yes they're overrated; most places don't do the best type which is spicy lamb anyway.

I think the next trend is going to be mexican. Brace yourselves for faux mexican street food being ubiquitous.

biggytitbo

mothman

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 14, 2018, 09:53:29 PM

Braggart.

Why braggart? I can take them or leave them. It's not a class thing.

Oh, GBK isn't that bad. But I admit, sometimes, the simpler and cheaper is the best. For sintance, recently when we got a fish supper, I didn't fancy fish so got the chippie's chicken burger. And it was fantastic! Breaded chicken in a bun with lettuce and mayo. Reminded me of the old McChicken Sandwich...

But it also reminded me of the chicken burgers I got from a kebab van when I was at uni. Now this was 25 years ago, so long before there was a kebab van on every corner like there is now. This was at Four Lane Ends in Newcastle. A big chicken burger that came all the usual kebab salad and chilli sauce in. So really nothing like the one I was just talking about; must have been some fundamental comfort food association for me...

nugget

I've always insisted on putting proper, good quality cheddar on my burgers but I'm realising now that plastic cheese is better. Always has been. What was I thinking.

biggytitbo

I use plastic cheese when I'm making a model of antique expert Sir David Dickinson, but for burger consumption I use real cheddar cos I'm quite old fashioned like that.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mothman on July 14, 2018, 09:42:42 PM
Every year, McDonalds do that Tastes of America thing. And they're all horrible, and really very samey. A couple of years back before I stopped going anywhere near these limited edition burgers, they did one that I was a bit insoired by. It was some Tex-Mex abomination, so probably called a New Mexico Stack or similar bullshit. But I did like the spicy cheese (perhaps Pepperjack? Is that a thing?) and it had nachos and guacamole in it; I've since included all these in homemade burgers done on the barbecue and it definitely worked.

Never order anything else from the menu at a McDs only the double cheeseburger.  The rest is complete trash (maybe MAYBE a Filet fish).

Sebastian Cobb

The mcdonald's seasonal rib thing is alright but to be fair you can get a battered one of them from scottish chippies all year round.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 14, 2018, 10:45:08 PM
Never order anything else from the menu at a McDs only the double cheeseburger.  The rest is complete trash (maybe MAYBE a Filet fish).

I dunno, those new cheese bites they do are pretty moreish.  And I HATE McDonalds.

mothman

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 14, 2018, 10:45:08 PM

Re the McDs cheeseburger, I'm increasingly minded to agree. And, funny thing, but I genuniely did just try a Filet'o'Fish yesterday (youngest likes fish finger sandwiches, so it was a speculative purchase on her behalf; she didn't like it - we should have asked for a plain one, without the cheese and tartare sauce - so MrsMoth and I ate it) and it was actually quite nice. Has to be the best part of 30 years since I last had one.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2018, 10:46:39 PM
The mcdonald's seasonal rib thing is alright but to be fair you can get a battered one of them from scottish chippies all year round.

I can't remember the last time they did the McRib in the UK...

Shit Good Nose

KFC doing the Double Down again for the next couple of weeks...

s'alright I guess.  With plastic cheese, though!

mothman

I don't think I got round to trying one last time, so I guess this is my chance.

Shit Good Nose

Available until 22nd I think, although be aware that all of the inner city KFCs apparently always sold out in minutes last time around, so if you really want to try one you may be best getting yourself to one of those out-of-town ones.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on July 14, 2018, 10:50:35 PM
I can't remember the last time they did the McRib in the UK...

Think it was a couple of years ago but it falls right in a period of my life where I was overcome by boredom and inertia and it all forms this soup in my memory where things happened but there aren't many markers to indicate the sequence of events.

mothman

If so, it's entirely possible I just missed it, but it does feel like absolute years and years - to me, anyway.

TrenterPercenter

I'm really not a fan of a lot burger joints nowadays (5 guys, GBK, Byrons etc..) severely over-priced and the patties are too big, dry and make for a awkward eating experience.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2018, 10:46:39 PM

Mmm battered and fried tank track

TrenterPercenter

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 14, 2018, 11:03:35 PM
Wow.  Do these things have a name?

Cholesterol Poisoning Special.  Eat with only knife.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on July 14, 2018, 10:58:58 PM
If so, it's entirely possible I just missed it, but it does feel like absolute years and years - to me, anyway.

Just pop up to Scotland and get yourself a king rib.

Oh I see I was beaten to it.

They make a good side to a battered sausage supper or a white pudding supper. Never, and this is important get a white pudding and a battered sausage together. They just don't compliment each other very well

Twit 2

Tip for getting gooey cheese, when you're using a non-plastic one (eg mild cheddar): put a lid over your frying/griddle pan (or foil, if you've not got a big enough lid) after the cheese is on. This will trap the heat and effectively steam the cheese, giving you the required effect.

Gourmet burgers can be really nice but they're always way over-priced. Just get some patties from your butcher for about a quid each or get their mince (from which their burgers are made anyway) and shape them yourself (without adding a single solitary fuck else - no eggs, no breadcrumbs, nothing, as the burger itself doesn't need it and all your extra shit like pickles and sauces will add the flavour you want). Dirt cheap and no bother.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 14, 2018, 11:00:48 PM
I'm really not a fan of a lot burger joints nowadays (5 guys, GBK, Byrons etc..) severely over-priced and the patties are too big, dry and make for a awkward eating experience.

Aye, burgers are meant to be eaten with your hands and if it's a cumbersome or impossible experience it's pointless.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 14, 2018, 11:15:26 PM
Tip for getting gooey cheese, when you're using a non-plastic one (eg mild cheddar): put a lid over your frying/griddle pan (or foil, if you've not got a big enough lid) after the cheese is on. This will trap the heat and effectively steam the cheese, giving you the required effect.

Gourmet burgers can be really nice but they're always way over-priced. Just get some patties from your butcher for about a quid each or get their mince (from which their burgers are made anyway) and shape them yourself (without adding a single solitary fuck else - no eggs, no breadcrumbs, nothing) as the burger itself doesn't need it and all your extra shit like pickles and sauces will add the flavour you want). Dirt cheap and no bother.

Just going to wade in here and point out a plate is a better cover for a round skillet. Which every decent person should own. How else you going to cook shakshuka?

Twit 2

Back of a plate doesn't have a handle on to lift it off!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 14, 2018, 11:39:53 PM
Back of a plate doesn't have a handle on to lift it off!

Just give it a push, slides right off.

Incidentally, if you thought your skillet handle got hot when naked, it gets really fucking hot if you buy one of those silicone things that insulate it, then take it off and forget to put it back on.

Yes I know what insulation does thankyou for asking.

mothman

Shouldn't have to say it, but never cook when naked, people.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 14, 2018, 11:15:26 PM

. Just get some patties from your butcher for about a quid each

Tremendous protein value

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on July 15, 2018, 12:23:35 AM
Shouldn't have to say it, but never cook when naked, people.

Have you ever been hungover to the point your hands may as well be cows udders?

I have. Once I woke up late-afternoon on a sunday and microwaved a curry I'd frozen into batches. Being frozen it took a while. I go to reach it out the microwave (I'm in a housecoat and slippers) and burn my hands, Instinctively drop it. Burn my feet. Swear a lot. Mop it up while trying to keep my housemates collie from lapping it off the floor. Haha, this shit happens right?

I take the next batch out and do the exact same thing again.

At this point I got quite angry. I might have kicked some of the kitchen cabinets, and you know, wearing slippers, hurt my foot afterwards. I might have shouted 'THIS ISN'T FUCKING FUNNY!' at my housemate, while he's in creases and says 'yes it fucking is'.

After ruining two meals I say 'fuck this, I'm going to Golden China' and then I see the glimmer in my housemate's eye 'well if you're going anyway, i'll have...'

mothman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2018, 09:53:08 PM
I think the next trend is going to be mexican. Brace yourselves for faux mexican street food being ubiquitous.

Does that mean Taco Bell might come back? I never quite understood Taco Bell, back when it was last in the uk (in the 90s there was one just off Leicester Square). Happened to be in the PX of an Air Force base in the US when I was there last year, they had one - I nearly tried it, but chickened out and got Subway instead.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on July 15, 2018, 12:35:45 AM
Does that mean Taco Bell might come back? I never quite understood Taco Bell, back when it was last in the uk (in the 90s there was one just off Leicester Square). Happened to be in the PX of an Air Force base in the US when I was there last year, they had one - I nearly tried it, but chickened out and got Subway instead.

There's a Taco Bell in Glasgow. I went to it out of curiosity; all those cultural references! Those cultural references that they saw fit to dub it out in Demoliton Man. Nah mate, it's just a meaty sludge, tastes vaguely like chilli (like one of those works canteen chillis that taste of nothing because even if it had a mild kick someone would say it's too hot), hasn't got beans in it, has plastic cheese on top and 'paprika fries' that just leave your gob dry.

mothman

Sounds like I dodged a bullet then. Also, housecoat? That's a name for dressing-gown you don't hear very often these days!