Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nick Drake and the... oh wrong one...

Started by The Man With Brass Eyes, February 21, 2004, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
hello!

Earlier today I was thumbing through the permenant sales in the local record shop, when I noticed an album by Nick Drake.  This is just a plea for information about him.  I've heard the name a fair times.  I've heard the name mentioned by cool people who have awesome tastes in music, and I get the impression a few people who cruise this site like him.

So what's he like - any good?  should I bother?  What others is he like?

Thanks.

ps: I've spelt permenant wrong in't I?... it's ana?

TraceyQ

Yes, you have spelt it wrong and wait right where you are, sonny and I'll send you some over MSN.

Silver SurferGhost

Oh, you should certainly bother, so long as you don't mind the possibility of being moved to tears by some of it.

I think we all agree it's all good, but we do seem to divide roughly into two, er, camps:
Those who prefer the earlier, lusher, fuller sound of the first two LPs, and those who prefer the sparser,
starker and arguably bleaker sound of Pink Moon.

It's the latter for me, but then I'm a miserable old bugger.

Bogey

I prefer the former, but I'm a ponce.

It's proof if proof be need be that you don't have to be working class to make class music.

A tragic fop.

Uncle Gripper

Yeah, superb stuff, addictive to say the least.  As for the album differences, well, i got them all at one time, proper cd's and all, what do you take me for, mp3's do this guy no justice.  So for me they are one big album, a chapter.  And its all excellent, to prefer one over the other is merely churlish, because we all know that its impossible to choose one album thats 'the best', y'know..

I had downloaded a load of tape recordings, some of which were very good, black eyed dog being a stand out, but there was also a 'interview' where essentially he is talking the tape machine about how excellent it is to stay up all night.  How its an achievement of sorts, and i can totally relate to this, as im sure many night owls can also testify to.  But i had never heard him talking and man he was super posh, even posher than my wives boss, and he's pretty posh..but it was excelelnt hear him talking as intensely as the stuff he sings about.

Uncle_Z

Jeez my taste is well off the common barometer.  Nick Drake is one of those where I recognise the talent but it leaves me largely unmoved.  (Another one being Connor Oberst / Bright Eyes).

However I did only get the "Introduction To..." CD for Drake so the style disconnect may be the problem.  Might also be that I do not really get drawn in by "pretty" voices.

Silver SurferGhost

This is the point in any Nick Drake thread where I roll out the fact that the former Mrs S
(not the current one, her musical tastes are excellent) once walked into a room where I was playing
a Nick Drake LP and asked me what Donovan album I was listening to.

Now I don't mind Donovan, I even have some of his stuff, but please....

eric claptop

Anyone read the biog where it tells you about how Nick went to the same boarding school as one Chris de Burgh and threw him out of his school band for being too short!

Sounds unbelievable?
It's probably a lie.

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"It's the latter for me, but then I'm a miserable old bugger.

Put it this way, would you recommend it to "commit suicide to"?

Thanks for the tips and recommendations folks.  I shall have to check him out.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Put it this way, would you recommend it to "commit suicide to"?
Heh, no, I think that might be taking my desire to emulate him a little too far...