Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hale & Pace

Started by madhair60, July 12, 2018, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

The comedy song closer used to be a staple of sketch shows in the 80s, when/why did that go away?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 13, 2018, 06:14:52 PM
I'd say it's well worth at least watching the last five minutes of each episode for the songs. Anyone know the credits on those? All Peter Brewis, or who else?

I've got the Greatest Hits video, just had a look at the end credits and the songs are written by H&P and Joe Griffiths and the musical directors were Peter Brewis and Andy Street. It looks like Brewis was the musical director on series 1, from series 2 onwards it was Andy Street with Brewis just doing the theme music.

Barry Admin

Thanks, appreciated!

And yeah I too loved that period when comedy songs were still a thing, we should do a new thread, I'll maybe split your post off later. Smack The Pony was probably one of the last British shows to do them, I think? My memory is that we got into the noughties, and shows started to eschew things like traditional credit/title sequences, and even sig tunes, and the comedy song tragically became a relic of the past.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Goodness Gracious Me would still do a comedy song at the end of their shows, too.

Barry Admin

That "Days of Black and White" song is a belter. Musically, it's beautiful, and it so accurately captures the medium - and it's inherent technological flaws - with such wistful nostalgia.

Just been enjoying "The Big Fat Northern Opera Company", interesting to see Jo Brand standing about as an extra. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=meyQYkDag68

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 15, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
Thanks, appreciated!

And yeah I too loved that period when comedy songs were still a thing, we should do a new thread, I'll maybe split your post off later. Smack The Pony was probably one of the last British shows to do them, I think? My memory is that we got into the noughties, and shows started to eschew things like traditional credit/title sequences, and even sig tunes, and the comedy song tragically became a relic of the past.

The Peter Serafinowicz Show and It's Kevin subtly continued this tradition though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on July 13, 2018, 09:26:05 AM
Don't forget when they stonked to the rhythm of the honky tonk, and got to number one in the charts. There are no decent quality versions for the music video to Let's Stonk on Youtube but The Mary Whitehouse Experience seemed less than enthusiastic to be in it, from memory.
I seem to remember Punt, Dennis and Baddiel all doing some ker-razy dancing while Newman (obviously) stood still, doing a face-palm/shaking his head combination.

Bhazor

I keep reading this thread title as Haley Paige. Wanker's dyslexia.

Jockice

I've got a bit of a soft spot for them just for vaguely amusing me in the late 80s/early 90s even though until looking at some of the stuff on here I couldn't remember a single sketch by them. They're connected in my head with Phil Cool, who I also quite liked then. Is there any real connection at all though, apart from being on the telly at roughly the same time?

non capisco

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 15, 2018, 01:16:14 PM
Just been enjoying "The Big Fat Northern Opera Company", interesting to see Jo Brand standing about as an extra. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=meyQYkDag68

"It's chuffin' greeeaaaaaaat!". I might need to reassess Hale and Pace now. Loads of links in this thread have made me laugh, particularly The Man Who Can't Take Anything Seriously, whereas before I had them pegged as 'that crap 80s/90s double act with a moustached one who looks a bit like James Hetfield out of Metallica'.

kalowski

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 15, 2018, 01:16:14 PM

Although it has that generic southern writer view of the North. "Clithero? With a name like that it must be in Yorkshire. In the 1950s."

phantom_power

Wow that theme tune gave me a sudden rush of nostalgia

Hillbert

Quote from: kalowski on July 17, 2018, 06:32:24 AM
Although it has that generic southern writer view of the North. "Clithero? With a name like that it must be in Yorkshire. In the 1950s."
A stereotypical view of the north from Hale and Pace? From the people who brought us The Northern Calypso?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IQem4nRSm4

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. Although it is funny.

PowerButchi

"Hey Mrs Postlethwaite come and feed me whippet" makes me laugh far, far more than it has any right to.

trabuch

Quote from: PowerButchi on July 23, 2018, 12:18:53 AM
"Hey Mrs Postlethwaite come and feed me whippet" makes me laugh far, far more than it has any right to.

It's the bloody rhythm of it.

famethrowa

I have never heard Nessun Dorma in the last 20 (30?) years without thinking of the bloke and his pigeons. Champion....

DrGreggles

Quote from: famethrowa on July 23, 2018, 02:33:26 AM
I have never heard Nessun Dorma in the last 20 (30?) years without thinking of the bloke and his pigeons. Champion....

Yep, first time I'd ever heard that too.

buzby

In the continuing theme of their Yorkshire sketches, there was also Yorkshire Airlines (filmed on board the preserved Monarch Airlines Bristol Britannia at the IWM Duxford).

yesitsme

There used to be a bloke I worked with.  He was a right bullying twat and he used to sing to me 'Cos, I'm a big fat Northern BASTARD!' (he was from somewhere down south).  He had real venom in it.

Apart from that my memory of H&P is that they started off funny but got lost along the way.

I actually watched a couple of Youtubes of The Management recently and while it's bleaker than I originally thought it's still watchable with a couple of good laughs.

And yes Jobs for the Boys was good too.  They're likeable aren't they?

The original micro-cat sketch was funny but it seemed that after that they just started concentrating on the animal+outrage=comedy formula which I think started the downhill slope.

Looking forward to watching the above when I get home tonight. 

BeardFaceMan

I think it was series 3 that had the playing cricket with frogs sketch, thats when they started leaning a bit too hard into that stuff (microwaved cat was in the first ep of the first series, microwave baby first ep of series 2). Series 3 is the start of the decline for me, theres still some very good sketches in the later series but a lot more crap too.

Edit - thought I had the Precinct 47 sketch uploaded somewhere, here's the Vic & Bob cameo instead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3W9ZKt5Jc

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 15, 2018, 01:26:33 PM
The Peter Serafinowicz Show and It's Kevin subtly continued this tradition though.

Tracey Ullman's Show closed with a song each week (all co-written by Ullman), so a recent example.

Although it's sitcom, rather than sketch show, Car Share made good use of songs.

doppelkorn

Quote from: buzby on July 23, 2018, 10:03:58 AM
In the continuing theme of their Yorkshire sketches, there was also Yorkshire Airlines (filmed on board the preserved Monarch Airlines Bristol Britannia at the IWM Duxford).

The Lancastrian in me (technically born inter Ripam et Mersam) liked that. I've definitely heard/read/seen that "If tha's more brass then sense" line somewhere else though on a similar Yorkshire parody. Viz maybe?

phantom_power

They were quite alternative to start with weren't they, appearing on the Young Ones (briefly) and several times on Saturday Live and the like.

yesitsme

I find myself singing the intro to The Management more often than it probably deserves.

'...'E didn't pay 'is bill (tut tut).  And then 'is 'art stood still - then Ron caught 'is eye.'
'It just popped 'ahrt Ron, it just popped 'ahrt.'

Plus it had Bryan Pringle.  He was good too.

kalowski

Looking back at these clips I realise that Gareth was quite the talent but Norman was bereft of it.

PowerButchi

Gareth Hale is absolutely fantastic. He's naturally funny as fuck, and arguably the greatest Welsh footballer of all time, but from what I've heard from people that have met Norman Pace - he is a really, really nice guy. So I'll give them both credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntR2lK7a6dw - "Strangled Yell" got a laugh out of me.

DrGreggles

Gareth definitely had far greater comedy chops, but Norman seems a decent enough performer to me.
Good singer too.

buzby

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 23, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
I've definitely heard/read/seen that "If tha's more brass then sense" line somewhere else though on a similar Yorkshire parody. Viz maybe?
It's an old Yorkshire idiom for more money than sense (more commonly seen as 'more brass than brains'). Outside of Yorkshire the phrase sometimes crops up used with an alternate meaning of brass to be enthusiam or bravado rather than money (particularly in the Southern USA).

doppelkorn

Quote from: buzby on July 24, 2018, 11:39:29 AM
It's an old Yorkshire idiom for more money than sense (more commonly seen as 'more brass than brains'). Outside of Yorkshire the phrase sometimes crops up used with an alternate meaning of brass to be enthusiam or bravado rather than money (particularly in the Southern USA).

Cheers, but I mean specifically within the context of a Yorkshire parody. I know it's a Yorkshire expression generally.

BeardFaceMan

All this Hale & Pace talk has me in the mood for some Smith & Jones. They followed the same path didn't they? From what I remember the early series had some great stuff but the later series were pretty crap. I had a compliation VHS I played an awful lot as a kid.