Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Still Game Series 9 - The Final Series

Started by Malcy, July 13, 2018, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Giggling Bean

I was absolutely spot on about the conclusion of this 2 parter. It wasn't a bad episode and there was some chuckles to be had but I saw it all coming a mile off. There was a Methadone Mick appearance but thankfully relegated to 1 line. So that's 4 episodes in.

I've noticed a theme of death running through this series. I'm relatively certain that it's foreshadowing the death of Jack and or Victor at the end of the series. Only 2 episodes left before I find out if I'm right.

Malcy

Applied for tickets to the screening of the final episode. Filming a Q&A type show after it. I might catch up beforehand but don't know if I can be arsed but will tune in for the last episode I reckon.

Rev+

If you've genuinely not been watching then you probably should catch up, as it's sniffed its own blood and is the best it's been since it came back.  It's a long way from its heights but this series has been alright, and Mick seems to have made his last appearance early in the series, thank fuck.

The fake-out with Tam will be as close as they come to killing a character off.  It'll be a 'wandering into the sunset' ending, partly because anything else would be sour, and partly because they won't have to deal with complicated explanations when they do a two week run at the Hydro in a couple of years.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Rev+ on March 22, 2019, 03:28:33 AM
The fake-out with Tam will be as close as they come to killing a character off.  It'll be a 'wandering into the sunset' ending, partly because anything else would be sour, and partly because they won't have to deal with complicated explanations when they do a two week run at the Hydro in a couple of years.

They would just gleefully ignore any such terminal conclusion for future comebacks anyhow. Greg Hemphill's response to Tam and Frances's baby disappearing recently was ' "Seriously we get asked this all the time and the honest, straight forward simplest answer is that I think you have imagined it."

If their intent is to bury that plot line as much as possible, then I thought giving Tam the line 'is she pregnant?' (posed as a supposedly ludicrous rhetorical question re: Winstons' elderly girlfriend) in last weeks show was pretty dumb, only serving to remind viewers that Tam once had first hand experience of pensionable ladies conceiving.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on March 16, 2019, 10:17:11 PM
I've noticed a theme of death running through this series. I'm relatively certain that it's foreshadowing the death of Jack and or Victor at the end of the series. Only 2 episodes left before I find out if I'm right.

BBC Scotland is proud to announce it's new comedy series for 2025 - "After years on the waiting lists one young couple strike it lucky and are offered a place to live, the only problem is it is in the notorious Osprey Heights, matters take a turn for the worse when they discover the place is haunted by the a couple of old codgers, yes, with hilarious results Jack and Victor return from beyond the grave in Still Ghosts."

petril

the only character I can see them doing in is Mick. shite replacement, with an easy to shoe-horn in departure for the taking. If they want to go the Eric route and just off someone for the sake of it

Malcy

Binged the series this morning and fell asleep twice. Very low on laughs. First laugh was Isa falling in the wet concrete. 2 or 3 laughs in the wedding episode. Hope tonight's is a fitting send off.

Malcy

Not sure what I thought of that. Wasn't overly funny but it was nice and I did have a bit of a lump in my throat at the end. Had wondered if they would show Meena's face and they did!

Rev+

That wasn't at all what I was expecting.  I thought we were getting the (original) Only Fools and Horses ending, but we got Six Feet Under.

I'm happy with this as an ending because they didn't stunt kill anyone.  Everyone goes eventually, it doesn't have to be during the story.  It'll do.

ajsmith2

Decent final send off. Decent final series really all told. Just wish they hadn't polluted the canon by firing out so many shiters in series 7 and 8. It's like they only really remembered how to do it properly with this series, and then it ends. Ah well, could have gone a lot worse.

Nowhere Man

Finally caught up and I have to say, if they had been the only post-return series, it would have been pretty good. Although a pale imitation for the last few years, the last 3 episodes or so were decent. Ending was depressing but fitting.

I'm glad it had a decent send off.

big egg

The ending reminded me of a film I saw last year called Avengers Infinity War

petril

This series was a jump back towards its best, the main ones pissing about doing stuff with the secondaries having their moments and being kept as secondary. The ending was lovely, and I didn't expect anything like that, but it was the most spot-on ending for something about old people. Just pottering on until the inevitable happens, but the rest of the world moving on as it should.

Not sure where it lands in my headcanon of sitcom ending types: A(fuck all, unaddressed), B(the end of the Sit), and C(the cycle repeats). leaning B. Actually, think it is a type B

The Giggling Bean

I watched it last Friday and I was really apprehensive about it. I get really sentimental and knew there was a 95% chance I'd end up in tears. My parents warned me to "have a box of tissues" when I watched it. Later on a friend from work text me "just watched it 😭" so I knew I'd be a bit of a mess.

I don't know if it was because we knew it was the last episode but it did feel like a return to form. I don't think the main story would have felt out of place in series 5 or 6. The peppering of weather warnings did give it an ominous feel. I fully expected Jack and/or Victor to die at the end. However I think to have done that would have been contrived and cheap.

The ending didn't catch me the first time as much as I thought. It was only at the shot of the 3 doors closed on the landing that I suddenly felt like I was trying to swallow a tennis ball. I've watched it several times since and tonight was the first time I'd been able to watch it without crying. Somehow it was more effecting to show the characters we'd grown to love just fade away and that none of us were there at the end. Personally it made me think about how they all passed away and the impact it had on the others (which made me think about the people I love who are getting older). My friend and I were debating whether Jack and Victor died on the mountain and if it was death coming to claim Bobby at the end.

Now that it's happened I couldn't think of any other way to end the show. Series 1-6 for me are endlessly rewachable and there's episodes of 7, 8 and 9 which have their moments. Mrs Bean and I are really sad it's finished but, like the characters in the show, nothing lasts forever.

Bobtoo

Between the weather warnings, the only provisions being some whisky and the "they'll know" comment I think it's almost certain that Jack and Victor weren't going to survive the trip.

I hadn't thought about who Boaby was speaking to at the end, it does make sense for it to have been Death though. It's how he would greet Death if he came into the pub.

Bad Ambassador

My assumption was he was literally addressing the viewer. After all, we've been regulars in the Clansman for years.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 03, 2019, 11:36:48 AM
My assumption was he was literally addressing the viewer. After all, we've been regulars in the Clansman for years.

That's probably the way it was intended but I like that it's open to interpretation. I did see someone suggest it was the gang coming to take Bobby with them before he passes.

I can't remember which episode it was but I recall Jack talking about how Indians climb up a mountain to die. "The long walk they call it". I'm presuming that, with only Whiskey, they probably didn't make it back down again and that Ben Lomond was their version of the long walk.

People have been tweeting BBC Scotland requesting a Still Game movie. As much as I liked it I don't think a film would work, plus it would cheapen the ending if they just brought them back again.

It's really dark though, our two leads essentially committing suicide by trying to walk up a mountain in bad weather with no gear and nothing but whisky.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on April 04, 2019, 09:52:35 PM

People have been tweeting BBC Scotland requesting a Still Game movie. As much as I liked it I don't think a film would work, plus it would cheapen the ending if they just brought them back again.

They've got another live show this year too so that'll be weird enough!!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 04, 2019, 11:35:08 PM
It's really dark though, our two leads essentially committing suicide by trying to walk up a mountain in bad weather with no gear and nothing but whisky.
Ben Lomond could hardly be considered a dangerous mountain by any stretch of the imagination. When I went uo there were kids about 5 at the top. It's a very easy Munro to climb.

Malter Witty

Only just watched the last series on i-player, so apologies for only just joining in. 

Agree with most comments about Methadone Mick but quite a good way to show he eventually turned his life around in the end sequence....after all, he's quite intelligent and that place would have suited him.  A lot of the time earlier I thought he looked far too healthy and just someone with comedy teeth.

Re the insurance scam...doesn't a doctor have to see the body and sign the death certificate before anything like a burial can take place?  Maybe I'm getting too deep into the plot, but I like it to be mildly believable.

I think for better or worse anyone who's followed the series from scratch would have to see the lot....I'm glad I did.

Did you see the price list in the Clansman at the end?   It says 'Doof' on the right....don't know if that subtle food joke has always been there....

Just looked on Ticketmaster, and the advance sales at the Hydro seem to be very good - looks like a 3-week stint with Friday, Saturday and Sunday only but matinees included.

I'm from Suffolk by the way, and used to strange accents - subtitles came in handy on a few occasions I must admit.