Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:38:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sunday, Daytrip To Margate, Advice Please.

Started by Dr Rock, July 13, 2018, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I know Margit well, Spanish Lady Friend never been. How packed might it be? Are there are few disabled spaces near the seafront? There's some hidden beaches in Cliftonville etc aren't there. Is the new Dreamland worth a punt?

Finally epic sunset (hopefully) over the sea then home before my foot is screaming pain.

Hot 30degress but a bit cloudly, that's ideal really, worth taking the gamble... isn't it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One thing I'd advise is to big it up to your Spanish lady friend. Big time. Fire up the hype machine and go balls deep, no return, no surrender and no compromise with the Margate remarks. Call it a Personal Valhalla to visit Margate.

Funcrusher

Bison

The beach always stinks of shit on a hot day. The KFC is one of the few in the country to offer a delivery service.

bgmnts

jobotic

Meant to be a couple of nice micro boozers, not that I've been. Dreamland good though.

Keep it Kent.

non capisco

Is that jerrybuilt deathtrap looking rollercoaster The Looping Star still at Dreamland? (Or "Bembom Brothers" as it used to be called. "CAM ON KIDS, WE'RE GOIN DAHHHHN BEMBOM BRUVVERS!")

If so eat loads of whelks then go on that and do a whelk flavoured expellation into the briny. A top Kentish day out. Good arrows, my son!

I fucking love whelks. Give me a large pot of those lads and an embarrassment of pepper and vinegar and my Medway soul is soothed.

Dr Rock

Quote from: non capisco on July 13, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
Is that jerrybuilt deathtrap looking rollercoaster The Looping Star still at Dreamland? (Or "Bembom Brothers" as it used to be called. "CAM ON KIDS, WE'RE GOIN DAHHHHN BEMBOM BRUVVERS!")

The Looping Star has been in Germany or Holland for the last 30 years

Glebe

Just be careful the bus doesn't blow up on the way down!

Chuckle!

non capisco

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 13, 2018, 09:11:34 PM
The Looping Star has been in Germany or Holland for the last 30 years

Well fuck my old boots.

shiftwork2

The Cockney charabanc day-out towns have a feel of their own.  Mainly death and squalor.  And that's from a man who likes drinking in Yarmouth.

Only joking.  I haven't been there (actually quite intrigued by Leigh, Southend and Margate) but it's the bloody seaside and you're guaranteed sea air, a pier, decent fish and chips and an art gallery that Brian Sewell moaned about because he thought it was too good for Kent and he resented having to drive there.  And the hot sunshine continues.

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on July 13, 2018, 09:03:05 PM

If so eat loads of whelks then go on that and do a whelk flavoured expellation into the briny. A top Kentish day out. Good arrows, my son!

I fucking love whelks. Give me a large pot of those lads and an embarrassment of pepper and vinegar and my Medway soul is soothed.

Lovely. We used to get the train from Gillingham to go down Bembons. One visit our crew got a right kicking on the beach, but not me and my best mate cos we were still in Bembons playing Wonderboy.

Surely the rickety machine was the Scenic Railway, not the Looping Star? Think that's still there.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Well I've been working hard to reach me target
To earn a few bob for a day trip down to Margate
I'm gonna blow the lot tomorrow on all me family
We catch the coach at eight so don't be late, were off to see the sea

Hurry up will ya Grandad, come on were going

Down to Margate, don't forget your buckets and spades and cossys and all
Down to Margate, we'll have a pill of jellied eels at the cockle stall
Down to Margate, we'll go on the pier and we'll have a beer aside of the sea

Down to Margate, you can keep the Costa Brava, I'm telling ya mate I'd rather have a day down Margate with all me family

Along the promenade we spend some money
And we find a spot on the beach that's simply sunny
The kids will all enjoy themself digging up the sand, collecting stones and winkle shells to take back home to nan

Behave yourself grandad, or you won't be going

Down to Margate, don't forget your buckets and spades and cossies and all
Down to Margate, we'll have a pill of jellied eels at the cockle stall
Down to Margate, we'll go on the pier and we'll have a beer aside of the sea
You can keep the Costa Brava and all that palava, going no farther, me i'd rather have me a day down Margate with all me family

Just do all the above. If it all goes tits up and you aren't enjoying yourself, go back home and get your beer out the sideboard.

Butchers Blind

Stay away from Planet Thanet.  Go anywhere else.

Spoon of Ploff

Take a detour to Sheerness or Leysdown first. The perfect warm up acts for Margate.

im barry bethel

So you choose to visit Margate on same weekend as the 8th salvation army girl guides have their end of term summer day out? Coincidence much?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 14, 2018, 08:56:38 AM
Take a detour to Sheerness

I like Sheerness but I'm aiming to do London To Margate in two hours or less, 9am-11am, no time for any detours.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 14, 2018, 09:12:49 AM
I like Sheerness but I'm aiming to do London To Margate in two hours or less, 9am-11am, no time for any detours.

Not even a stop off to undermine a wimpole auditor in Blean?

Dr Rock

I could fit in Blean but it would have to be a very quick undermining.

Dr Rock

So we went.
We paddled.
We sunbathed. It was hot.
We ate shitty food.
We saw the sunset over the sea, which was beautiful.
On the way back to the car I had a fall, due to the stupid crocs (rubber shoes) more than anything. I was ok because reflexively I grabbed hold of the nearest thing to slow my fall. This happened to be my Spanish Lady Friend. I felt guilt even as I was reflexively doing it. She was fine though.

Then we couldn't find my car and walked around Margate backstreets for about an hour until a kindly taxi driver found our car.

I drove us home, but as I hit London I was experiencing the steering wheel pulling me to one side, or the other, which I know have surmised my be due to low break fluid. I'll take the car in tomorrow.

Paddling in Margate sea caused a vivid torrent of Proustian rushes and it was almost too much to take. Photos may follow.

Dex Sawash

Action Fish

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 16, 2018, 12:15:20 PM
So we went.
We paddled.
We sunbathed. It was hot.
We ate shitty food.
We saw the sunset over the sea, which was beautiful.
On the way back to the car I had a fall, due to the stupid crocs (rubber shoes) more than anything. I was ok because reflexively I grabbed hold of the nearest thing to slow my fall. This happened to be my Spanish Lady Friend. I felt guilt even as I was reflexively doing it. She was fine though.

Then we couldn't find my car and walked around Margate backstreets for about an hour until a kindly taxi driver found our car.

I drove us home, but as I hit London I was experiencing the steering wheel pulling me to one side, or the other, which I know have surmised my be due to low break fluid. I'll take the car in tomorrow.

Paddling in Margate sea caused a vivid torrent of Proustian rushes and it was almost too much to take. Photos may follow.

[tag]Chas rejects Dave's proposed lyrics as being "too shit"[/tag]

Dr Rock

Daytrip dahn to Margit, don't need no Spain,
The sand gets in your cossie, just the same,
The sun was blazing hot
The food was proper grot,
But when we'd had our fun.... that was when the daytrip just begun...

We lost the motor, we lost the motor,
Wasn't where we fout we parked, we walked in circles in the dark,
We lost the motor, we lost the motor,
And Margit when the sun goes down, the scary locals hit the town,
Better find that motor quick

We found the motor, we found the motor,
We 'ad to ask a passing cabbie, he got us there not too shabby,
We found the motor, we found the motor,
'appy as Larry when we spied it, couldn't wait to get inside it,
Better drive that motor 'ome

(I don't think I'm up to completing the song if I have to rhyme 'brake fluid')