Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblewrong 2018 Round 2: Poisson Du Jour vs madhair

Started by Poisson Du Jour, July 14, 2018, 09:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

selectivememory

Quote from: pancreas on July 11, 2018, 08:02:33 PM
Do what you do best. This is about making people laugh and you sorted me right out.

Quote from: Cerys on July 11, 2018, 11:05:22 PM
As long as no rules have been broken, I don't think there should be a problem with using anything within a player's ability as part of a shot.

NoSleep

Quote from: Kelvin on July 16, 2018, 11:16:01 AM
I dunno. I do kind of think that madhair's comics are a bit like cheating, as they involve no photoshop work, at all.

On the other hand, "Moderated by Skelator" gave me a huge laugh, so I dunno.

Nah, I have to go Poisson for actually producing two solid photoshops.

So you're voting against madhair for producing completely original work (i.e. not made up from already existing images and text/fonts)?

madhair

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: NoSleep on July 16, 2018, 02:38:06 PM
So you're voting against madhair for producing completely original work (i.e. not made up from already existing images and text/fonts)?

madhair

Did NoSleep just call us all frauds there??

Absorb the anus burn

NoSleep

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 16, 2018, 03:46:12 PM

Did NoSleep just call us all frauds there??

Just pointing out the contradiction in Kelvin's judgement against madhair. I like and appreciate photomontage.

alan nagsworth

aye, at the risk of looking like i'm trying to come across as less of a cunt than i did in my match with him, i have to say madhair played a better game here. really like both of those shots.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: NoSleep on July 16, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
Just pointing out the contradiction in Kelvin's judgement against madhair. I like and appreciate photomontage.

I don't think there's any contradiction, is there? It's a game of photoshop tennis, and Kelvin's given extra points for actual photoshopping.

I think the strongest shot of all of them was the serve anyway, so regardless of the nature of how each image was created I'm voting for Poisson Du Jour.

Cerys

NoSleep

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on July 16, 2018, 10:23:52 PM
I don't think there's any contradiction, is there? It's a game of photoshop tennis, and Kelvin's given extra points for actual photoshopping.

madhair's non-photoshops seem to have slipped past the judges if this is meant to be a game of photoshop tennis, then (you just have to follow the previous one by referencing/quoting it in some way) . No less creative for not using the photomontage technique, and I'm not sure where the alleged cheating is going on.

Butchers Blind

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: NoSleep on July 17, 2018, 07:48:09 AM
madhair's non-photoshops seem to have slipped past the judges if this is meant to be a game of photoshop tennis, then

Not really, it was discussed during the previous round and the decision was made that they'd be allowed. So no slipping past the judges, a mid-competition exemption was made, with the rules presumably up for discussion/amendment next year.

Still not sure what the contradiction in Kelvin's post is.

NoSleep

The contradiction is the assumption that madhair's effort are cheating because they are not photoshops. You could argue that photoshopping is easier (or "cheating") as it relies heavily on existing images. But that is not the point in either case; it's the content that is important, not the form (as a multitude of crudely put-together but spot on 'wrongs have shown us over the years).

Funcrusher

Pshaw to bourgeois photoshoppery. All Madhair needs is MS Paint and the truth.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: NoSleep on July 17, 2018, 11:08:38 AM
... a multitude of crudely put-together...

Now he's saying all our pictures are rubbish!

wasp_f15ting

NoSleep

wasp_f15ting

FairPlay to madhair because even though they are cartoons they include context from the image at hand so I have no issues with that aspect of it.

selectivememory

madhair60 wins another very close one 13-12. Paul Calf voted twice for madhair (presumably he forgot he already voted), so I just wanted to be clear that I did notice that and only counted one vote.

Poisson Du Jour is the current high-scoring loser with one match yet to finish.

Great game, both.

madhair60

Paul Calf

Kelvin

Quote from: NoSleep on July 16, 2018, 02:38:06 PM

madhair

Well, no, I just feel like Wimblewrong is a photoshop tournament, and although it's fine to bend and break conventions for impact, I think making every shot an MS Paint comic is slightly at odds with the photoshopping concept of Wimblewrong. I think my use of the word "cheating" was probably too strong, but I do think MS Paint comics require a different set of skills than everyone else is being judged on.

Madhair says he only has MS Paint, though, so it's slightly redundant. Plus, I love madhair, and was certainly not trying to be cunty towards him. I certainly don't picture him cackling away in a castle shaped like a skull about all this.

Kelvin

Quote from: NoSleep on July 17, 2018, 11:08:38 AM
The contradiction is the assumption that madhair's effort are cheating because they are not photoshops. You could argue that photoshopping is easier (or "cheating") as it relies heavily on existing images. But that is not the point in either case; it's the content that is important, not the form (as a multitude of crudely put-together but spot on 'wrongs have shown us over the years).

I shouldn't have said cheating. That was the wrong phrase, and implies Madhair was trying to get one past us all. I don't believe that.

I simply think that, imo, Wimblemong in a photoshop tournament, and that consistently producing Paint comics requires a different set of skills than photoshopping. Maybe the tournament has moved past photoshops, and people could now submit any type of image. I certainly don't object to specific shots which flout rules.

NoSleep

Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 02:49:00 PM
Well, no, I just feel like Wimblewrong is a photoshop tournament, and although it's fine to bend and break conventions for impact, I think making every shot an MS Paint comic is slightly at odds with the photoshopping concept of Wimblewrong. I think my use use of the word "cheating" was probably too strong, but I do think MS Paint comics require a different set of skills than everyone else is being judged on.

Madhair says he only has MS Paint, though, so it's slightly redundant. Plus, I love madhair, and was certainly not trying to be cunty towards him. I certainly don't picture him cackling away in a castle shaped like a skull about all this.

I think most people judge them on the content and meaning rather than the technicalities of photoshopping, especially obvious when something roughly put together beats a slicker opponent's effort. Photoshopping skills are only a means to an end.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 02:49:00 PM
...  picture him cackling away in a castle shaped like a skull...

madhair60, please do an MSPaint of precisely this image.

Small Man Big Horse

I don't have photoshop so use this: https://pixlr.com/ - though I don't have an issue with madhair's work, just thought I'd mention a free alternative.

Spoon of Ploff

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 02:54:39 PM
I shouldn't have said cheating. That was the wrong phrase, and implies Madhair was trying to get one past us all. I don't believe that.

I simply think that, imo, Wimblemong in a photoshop tournament, and that consistently producing Paint comics requires a different set of skills than photoshopping. Maybe the tournament has moved past photoshops, and people could now submit any type of image. I certainly don't object to specific shots which flout rules.

The rules have gradually changed over the years. Originally you used to have to use an element of the shot before yours (aided by your opponent providing links to their source materials) but this was relaxed to allow for conceptual links. I remember one year, jutl made use of a conceptual link by taking a photograph for one of his shots.

I guess anything that gets people to play and produce amusing work that entertains us should be encouraged.

800x600, mind. No room for manoeuvre on that. Hanging offence. I'm looking at you Poisson Du Jour!