Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid lyrics

Started by Clownbaby, July 14, 2018, 12:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

QuoteCause you know what they say about honey bears
When you shave off all their baby hair
You have a hairy minded pink bare bear

QuoteMeet me at the fucking gate
Maybe then I'll be your mate
If I found you on the ground
That would be really sound

Here we go now
Up and down and all around
If I saw you on the ground
That would be really sound

The first one is Lou Reed and the second one is a chap I was in a band with when I was 15.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 18, 2018, 12:39:22 PM

Anyway, I literally posted lyric by The Stupids upthread, and what do I get for my trouble? Nothing.
*kicks over bin*

Well I hope you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling when I tell you that you inspired me to listen to this again for the first time in about 25 years. I enjoyed it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8EmC91u5k

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on July 14, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball.

While I'm loath to defend the lyrics of Noel Gallagher, I think that particular line gets an unfairly hard time. It's utterly meaningless, obviously. It's Noel self-consciously trying to write a piece of mystical psychedelic poetry, but... it actually conjures a fairly pleasing, woozy image.

Quote from: pupshaw on July 17, 2018, 07:32:00 PM
This ain't Rock And Roll,
This is Genocide!!!!

That's a stone-cold classic opening line. As a lyrical introduction to a dark, mad, druggy '70s Glam album about a dystopian future, it's pretty much perfect.

Quote from: chveik on July 18, 2018, 04:41:29 PM
He hit me
And it felt like a kiss
He hit me
But it didn't hurt me
He couldn't stand to hear me say
That I'd been with someone new,
And when I told him I had been untrue
He hit me
And it felt like a kiss
He hit me
And I knew he loved me
If he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
But he hit me,
And I was glad

That's not so much stupid as deeply unpleasant. It's also an unbelievably stark illustration of a psychologically damaged woman struggling to justify being in an abusive relationship. I'm not defending it as such, it's a very tasteless, wince-inducing song, but the lyrics themselves aren't stupid in the way that most of the others in this thread are.

jobotic

You're right, but isn't it the tastelessness that makes them stupid? It's not a portrayal of a woman damaged by abuse - we're supposed to see it as romantic? He hit me  - oh lucky you, he must really care!

I've paraphrased what you said.

fucking ponderous

Father says, "your mother's right, she's really up on things."
"before we married, mommy served in the wacs in the Philippines."
Now, I had heard the wacs recruited old maids for the war.
But mommy isn't one of those, I've known her all these years.

Possibly the most disappointing ending to a verse ever.

HAVANAGILA

From "She Can Rock It" by Power Station : "It's a sorry lookin' donut if it doesn't have a hole."

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Captain Z on July 18, 2018, 05:35:00 PM
Is it stupid though? I believe the song is just describing a typical mundane day in London, and I challenge anyone to find another that uses 'Tesco' in a rhyme.
It's just the sheer laziness of that last line that makes it ridiculous.
Couldn't tell you about any other Tesco rhymes, but Sleaford Mods must've used it, surely?

Fisher Goes Berserk

'If you come on to me, then I'll come on to you
If you come on to me, then I'll come on to you
If you come on to me, will I come on to you?
If you come on to me, will I come on to you?
Yes I will, yes I will, yes I will now
Yes I will, yes I will, yes I will now, uh-huh
If you, if you come on to me (yeah), then I'll come on to you
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
I'll come on to you
Whoo!'

One of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.

Time to retire, Sir Paul

You can do it right now pleeeeeaaaaase

Utter Shit

The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping mentions Tesco doesn't it?

garbed_attic

Quote from: jobotic on July 18, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
You're right, but isn't it the tastelessness that makes them stupid? It's not a portrayal of a woman damaged by abuse - we're supposed to see it as romantic? He hit me  - oh lucky you, he must really care!

Really? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a portrayal of a woman damaged by abuse and she is the song's unreliable narrator.

QuoteGoffin and King wrote the song after discovering that their babysitter and singer Little Eva was being regularly beaten by her boyfriend. When they inquired why she tolerated such treatment, Eva replied, with complete sincerity, that her boyfriend's actions were motivated by his love for her.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gout_pony on July 19, 2018, 10:50:00 AM
Really? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a portrayal of a woman damaged by abuse and she is the song's unreliable narrator.

Exactly. By the people who brought you Will You Love Me Tomorrow? Pretty mad that Goffin was in his early 20s when he wrote all those words.

jobotic

Oh fair enough - sorry.

Clownbaby

Closer by The Chainsmokers ft Halsey is one of the most unpleasant songs I've ever heard

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2_F-1esPk

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on July 19, 2018, 02:37:37 PM
Oh fair enough - sorry.

It is a pretty ambiguous message though - especially for a pop song.

I'd never heard of it until Spiritualized did the drug song 'She kissed me (and it felt like a hit)', when there were a couple of quite heated threads about the original on their forum.

pupshaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 18, 2018, 10:31:34 PM
That's a stone-cold classic opening line. As a lyrical introduction to a dark, mad, druggy '70s Glam album about a dystopian future, it's pretty much perfect.

Not disputing what a "great" line it is. It is a great line. It's also stupid. Is he saying "I know you've all turned up for a nice rock 'n roll concert, but we've got something a little different tonight... a bullet in the head", or is it some punter maybe going to a gig and finding mass graves instead. This ain't Rock n' Roll, this is genocide, oh shit.

Something like the Clash as the Four Horsemen makes some kind of sense, as it conjures up an image, however ludicrous. I just don't see that music and racial slaughter could be somehow mistaken for one another, as the line somehow implies.

phantom_power

I think it is just a bit of post apocalyptic hyperbole, not to be taken literally

manticore

He hit me
And it felt like a kiss...

QuoteCarole King, in that same radio interview, said that she was sorry she had ever had anything to do with the song. She was a survivor of repeated domestic abuse

I don't know how people would respond now, but in 1979 in my Sociology A Level class the lecturer asked us some difficult ethical questions to see our response with a show of hands. One was (as I remember) 'Is it okay for a boy to belt a girl if she cheats on him?' A majority of this pretty left of centre mixed sex class put up their hands to say 'yes'.

God knows what ideas were prevalent in 1962 - I've read that the record was withdrawn after a while because of complaints, which is a good sign, but I bet a lot of people took the song as an endorsement of domestic violence 'when justified'. I think it was an irresponsible thing to put it out as a pop single.

Also it needs to be listened to rather than just read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20Oz9Yr_So

alan nagsworth

that kate nash one about the lemons

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 19, 2018, 03:48:43 PM
I'd never heard of it until Spiritualized did the drug song 'She kissed me (and it felt like a hit)', when there were a couple of quite heated threads about the original on their forum.

I first heard it when Hole covered it as part of their MTV Unplugged set. Here it is.

It's a hard one to defend, whatever the motivation for writing it and whatever the number of ambiguities at play within it, but in the pantheon of Really Fucking Troublesome Songs About Abusive Relationships, I find "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette considerably more disturbing. Too disturbing to listen to for any length of time, really. The defiant loyalty-in-the-face-of-whatever in that song properly curdles my blood. Especially given what we know of Tammy Wynette's personal life. Although saying that there's a pathos in even mimed performances like this that kind of weaves its own, far more complex and probably even more unnerving narrative.

Quote from: jobotic on July 18, 2018, 11:43:47 PM

I dunno, the vocals, tune and arrangement are very stark and mournful. They feel like a darkly ironic counterpoint to the tragically upbeat delusion expressed by the song's protagonist. I don't think we're supposed to take her words at face value, she's an unreliable narrator.

Also, the song is based on an actual comment from an abused friend of Goffin & King. The song comes across as misjudged, tasteless and kitschy, but I think it comes from a real, horrified place.

EDIT: Gilbert Harding and gout-pony got there first.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 19, 2018, 09:13:38 PM
I think it is just a bit of post apocalyptic hyperbole, not to be taken literally

True, but I think it's Bowie making a cynical comment on the very broad similarity between fascist rallies and rock shows in which thousands of people turn up to blindly worship their idols. Jim Morrison used to make similar comparisons. Morrison and Bowie were famously off their heads at the time, it should be noted. 

easytarget

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 19, 2018, 10:32:18 AM
Nah, A&P init.
'merica.

popcorn

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 19, 2018, 10:32:18 AM

Only the Spice Girls cover version does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZ14B65u6k

Which remains one of those songs so stunningly bad I return to it every six months just to study the species.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 20, 2018, 01:53:02 AM
True, but I think it's Bowie making a cynical comment on the very broad similarity between fascist rallies and rock shows in which thousands of people turn up to blindly worship their idols. Jim Morrison used to make similar comparisons. Morrison and Bowie were famously off their heads at the time, it should be noted. 

I agree with all of that. I just don't think it is a literal genocide. It is just a fitting way to introduce the nihilism that permeates the album "we'll buy some drugs then watch a band, and jump in the river holding hands"

garbed_attic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 20, 2018, 01:43:09 AM
Also, the song is based on an actual comment from an abused friend of Goffin & King. The song comes across as misjudged, tasteless and kitschy, but I think it comes from a real, horrified place.

EDIT: Gilbert Harding and gout-pony got there first.

No worries - your sentence above perfectly expresses the matter!

Jockice

As has already been documented on here. I love The Undertones. But Girls Don't Like It, the second track on their debut album starts with these lines:
Here comes Eddie in his brand new car.
Driving like that he won't get far.
Kissing in the back seat all the way home.
You can't do that if you're on your own.

Eh?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2018, 09:12:48 AM
Only the Spice Girls cover version does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZ14B65u6k

Which remains one of those songs so stunningly bad I return to it every six months just to study the species.

The video thumbnail says Christmas Wrappig

pupshaw

Quote from: phantom_power on July 20, 2018, 09:36:43 AM
I agree with all of that. I just don't think it is a literal genocide. It is just a fitting way to introduce the nihilism that permeates the album "we'll buy some drugs then watch a band, and jump in the river holding hands"

I'd just say the lingering problem is that the word "genocide" conjures up specific images of ethnic murder, unlike "armageddon" and "apocalypse" and even "holocaust",  which have an hyperbolic ambiguity as well as a rather stale taste. So full marks for avoiding cliche I guess.