Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Family feuds

Started by Jockice, July 15, 2018, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Right, I'm sort of in the middle of one at the moment. Without identifying their relationships to me, it's a mother and adult daughter who have fallen out so badly that the police, courts and social services have got involved. There's also a fairly young child in the mix and it just isn't pleasant.

I'm on speaking terms with both sides so I've heard most of their accusations against each other (some of which are quite frankly bizarre) and although I've told both I'm strictly neutral, I really want to get the pair in the same room and bang their heads together.

There are a couple of other feuds in my family, including a pair of male cousins who haven't spoken to each other for years, even at the only times they ever meet, usually funerals. But just to make it more complicated, one of the cousins works for the other's sister and his dad used to work for the other cousin. Confused? You will be, especially when you hear that I once had a big fall-out (and justifiably so) with one of those cousin's mothers, made it up and then my own mum fell out with her, possibly as a delayed reaction to what my aunt had done to me.

Then there's the mate of mine whose brother decided to snaffle all their mother's will money, so my mate and his sister had to take him to court to get a fair share. Unsurprisingly they're not on speaking terms anyway. And then there's my girlfriend's family....

Is there any family on this board, or even on earth which doesn't have this sort of shit going on? If not, please entertain me with your stories of big rows in your families. I need a laugh,

Hecate

Our family has a very refined, middle class approach to snubbery. An unacknowledged bitter hatred, constantly bubbling just under the surface of politeness, forever.

I imagine it's much better for you, letting it all out on a council estate like that.

bgmnts

We're more just weird. No feuds like that.

A row once in a while but no massive massive cunts.

Jockice

Quote from: Hecate on July 15, 2018, 11:00:14 AM
Our family has a very refined, middle class approach to snubbery. An unacknowledged bitter hatred, constantly bubbling just under the surface of politeness, forever.

I imagine it's much better for you, letting it all out on a council estate like that.

Hey you, none of those involved live on council estates nowadays I'll have you know. A couple of them are actually quite wealthy. My family started off as peasants admittedly but we rose through the ranks.

Danger Man

Quote from: Jockice on July 15, 2018, 10:39:33 AM
I need a laugh,

I haven't spoken to one of my sisters for 5 years.

Not because we've fallen out. We just can't be arsed.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

Danger Man

Quote from: Jockice on July 15, 2018, 10:39:33 AM
I've told both I'm strictly neutral

You'd be the last person to curry favour with anybody.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABANANAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hecate

Quote from: Jockice on July 15, 2018, 11:38:07 AM
Hey you, none of those involved live on council estates nowadays I'll have you know. A couple of them are actually quite wealthy. My family started off as peasants admittedly but we rose through the ranks.

Then why don't you get a job?
Genuine question.

Nar, hear me out, I'm gonna do this differently, and Graham and the team will back me up on this, maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but A and 1: I like your face, and B and 2, I love the flaaavoooooour.

Jockice

Quote from: Danger Man on July 15, 2018, 11:44:10 AM
You'd be the last person to curry favour with anybody.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABANANAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They do both like curry. I should disown them for that alone.

Jockice

Quote from: Hecate on July 15, 2018, 11:47:32 AM
Then why don't you get a job?
Genuine question.

Oh, I had one of them once, for quite a few years. Didn't like it much.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hecate on July 15, 2018, 11:00:14 AM

My mum does this. She doesn't like her brother's wife for being the matriarch on that side. I don't have a grudge with them but I wouldn't lose any sleep about not seeing them again. She also really dislikes my dad's mum, to the point I've been round and she's spent a whole meal slagging her behind her back but openly in front of my dad. I've pulled her up on it and I've bit my lip before in the past and neither seemed to work, it's just so undignified.

She's got form for this though. She's a nurse and both when her mum was alive and when my dad's dad was dying she forced herself in as the prime carer and took charge of everything to the point that there wasn't all that much for anyone else to do. Then she moaned that she was the only one doing anything. It's a form of emotional martyrdom I think.

Me, I've never really been all that close to my cousins or aunts/uncles. Just people you see once a year, less now. I wouldn't really lose much sleep about not seeing them again, and I can't imagine making much effort to keep in touch with them once the familial lines get fractured through our parents dying.

Icehaven

I only recently learned of the depth of bad feeling between some of my cousins and one of their wives. She is godawful but while most of the family, including me and my Mum, tolerate her politely (and only have to see her once or twice a year anyway) a couple of my cousins and one of their daughters point blank refuse to speak to her or acknowledge her at family doos etc. I hadn't realised this until being stuck with one cousin in a hospital waiting room for 17 hours, which she spent most of slagging off her sister in law. I just wouldn't have the committment, I mean I can be extremely grudgeful but I think I'd run out of puff after a few hours.

Shit Good Nose

No such trouble in my family, even extending out to cousins and such.

I mention this not to show off or boast, but because it seems such a rare and unusual thing these days.

Admittedly we're split over West Cardiff, the South West (old Avon area) and the far South East so the whole family only gathers for weddings and funerals, but we've always all got on.

My godmother is my uncle's ex-wife and nobody has seen her for 20 years.

Well, nobody in my immediate family anyway.

Twed

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 15, 2018, 06:03:58 PM
Admittedly we're split over West Cardiff, the South West (old Avon area) and the far South East
That's a silly thing for a family to be split over. Can't you just agree they're all places?

daf

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 15, 2018, 06:17:28 PM
My godmother is my uncle's ex-wife and nobody has seen her for 20 years.

My father fell in love with her, and soon were married - cheers
This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life
My daughter was my mother because she was my father's wife

To complicate the matters, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle though it made me very sad

For if he was my uncle that also made him the brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter Who, of course, was my step-mother

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know, but it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twed on July 15, 2018, 06:18:44 PM
That's a silly thing for a family to be split over. Can't you just agree they're all places?

B'boom

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2018, 02:36:13 PM
She's got form for this though. She's a nurse and both when her mum was alive and when my dad's dad was dying she forced herself in as the prime carer and took charge of everything to the point that there wasn't all that much for anyone else to do. Then she moaned that she was the only one doing anything. It's a form of emotional martyrdom I think.

Oh, I love all that sort of stuff. No, let me do it. I'm the only one who can do it properly. I insist....why am I the one who has to do everything? You just take me for granted. I have to do ALL the work here.

Not that I've ever known anyone like that, of course.