Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you play subtitle files (srt, sub, idx etc) on your TV?

Started by Howj Begg, July 15, 2018, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Just bought a new telly and a Chromecast, only to discover that VLC does not play sub files when casting. Fuck that shit. Googling, some people say other video apps play subs, but the first couple of suggestions - Videostream, Airflow - have not worked for me; they didn't even get as far as casting, let alone playing sub files; they didn't pick up the TV signal. There are other suggestions, Plex for one, but I just thought I'd throw this open to the cab hivemind. Obviously, ideally I would like to play sub files on the tv without even casting, but that seems unlikely- there aren't any functions or apps which will do that right? The Toshiba TV I bought comes bundled with the Opera browser, I believe, if that makes any difference.

Howj Begg

Howj Begg

I just tried Kodi and it took over my system. Didn't even get to casting it to see if that worked because I'm finding this way too invasive. Something like vlc which easily allows me to tab between browser windows on the pc is what I'm looking for.

Consignia

I don't think Kodi does Chromecasting, I believe it was suggested as something you run on something like a Fire Stick. So you'd need an extra device.

It's an inelegant solution, but you could use Chrome's screen casting feature. An add on in the browser will let you cast your entire screen to a chromecast. That'll mean you can get your computer to do the play back in your media player of choice, and it'll be transmitted with all subtitles.

This should detail the process: https://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

Sebastian Cobb

It's meant to be run as a full screen application on a tablet, fire stick or htpc. It's not meant to be a desktop application.

Localcast is good on andriod devices. I think it'll do subs.

Howj Begg

I should have mentioned that I wanted to cast from a Windows 10 desktop pc only.

Anyway, I tried the whole desktop casting and that worked. However I finally got Videostream to work; what was needed was a repair file to fix the non-connection problem. That worked, and now Videostream is the best option. Thanks all.

Consignia

Ah, videostream was something I remember using a while back. It pretty much does the same thing as screen casting from chrome, but doesn't display the video locally. Couldn't remember the name, or if worked with subtitles, so I hesitated to recommend it based on iffy memory. Glad it works for you.

Dog Botherer

I use Plex, can testify that subtitles work just fine with it. Generally just a very useful program.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 15, 2018, 02:41:25 PM
Obviously, ideally I would like to play sub files on the tv without even casting, but that seems unlikely- there aren't any functions or apps which will do that right?

Have you tried just bunging the files on a USB and seeing what happens?  I might have just been lucky but I've not run into a TV made in the last ten years or so that can't handle at least srt files properly, without the need for any fiddling, and we're talking cheap jobbers here.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on July 16, 2018, 04:33:33 AM
Have you tried just bunging the files on a USB and seeing what happens?  I might have just been lucky but I've not run into a TV made in the last ten years or so that can't handle at least srt files properly, without the need for any fiddling, and we're talking cheap jobbers here.

I believe I did, and they didn't work yeah.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Wasn't being flippant, by the way, I though all TVs were as mighty as a £100 Finlux on that front these days.