Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tech bro and billionaire worship

Started by Twed, July 15, 2018, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pijlstaart

Not a fan of bezos. Have to walk past Amazon hq on the way to work, half the amazombies have bought these weird electric unicycles to scoot about on, you can spot them a mile off. There's one guy who has a crash helmet with flashing LED arrows on it, pointing upwards. Don't know what it signifies. Some people here absolutely worship the big companies and deify the CEOs, who can do no wrong. "Job-creators" chime the amazombies in unison, "Mustn't pay their taxes, because of the job-creation". Superman gets one free rape a year, because of all the good work he did, they say, Jimmy saville gets an hour unsupervised in the morgue for every charity fun run.

Too much money, too much ego, tax them to buggery.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Pijlstaart on July 16, 2018, 08:24:40 AM
Superman gets one free rape a year, because of all the good work he did, they say

I yearn for karma.

Pdine

Quote from: Bhazor on July 16, 2018, 02:14:38 AM
Musk seems to have deleted the pedo guy tweet. A rare example of him backing down rather than the usual doubling down (as he did when he accused New York Times of falsifying a disastrous test drive). A sign of mellowing?

Unless that guy actually is a pedophile he will probably never need to work again now.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Pdine on July 16, 2018, 09:44:25 AM
Unless that guy actually is a pedophile he will probably never need to work again now.

Another little man bestowed with riches and power (one way or the other) by the infinite altruistic influence of Mighty Musk.

biggytitbo

The diver guy has a bit of a dilemma now because if he doesn't sue and cash in big time, people will think he is a paedo.

machotrouts

There is nothing wrong with harnessing the power of paedophilia to retrieve misplaced children. This is proof that paedophiles can be utilised positively and productively, like sniffer dogs. Elon Musk has been unnecessarily rude about the cave paedo, and he should apologise

Blue Jam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44846945

QuoteMr Unsworth had earlier said that the mini-sub built by Mr Musk's team and flown to Thailand before being rejected as inappropriate for the rescue mission by Thai officials would have had "absolutely no chance of working".

Quotethe Thai official in charge of the mission's command centre, Narongsak Osotthanakorn... said the mini-sub was "not practical with our mission", though it was "technologically sophisticated".

Quote from: Elon Musk"Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it".

Bit of an overreaction... What is it with alt-right types and their paper-thin skins, eh?

paruses

Is he a genius or is he a successful venture capitalist? Am asking honestly as I don't know. How hands on is he with stuff like, arguably, Bill Gates was? Does he just see cool opportunities and have the cash to pay very clever people to look into them like Hank Scorpio did?

I can't imagine that you would have time to do inventions as well as earn billions of dollars - look how long it takes to set up a single game of Mouse Trap, for example.

Captain Z

I'm not sure which of his companies actually make a profit, but I believe that Tesla has never made an annual profit in its entire existence? There have been at least 2 deaths due to failures of automated Tesla cars, other near misses and several fires, and he is publicly suing an employee who he claims deliberately installed malicious code into the vehicles. Whatever the truth is, that does not sound like a happy company.

paruses

Blue Jam

If Stephen Fry is "a stupid person's idea of a clever person", is Elon Musk a stupid person's idea of a great innovator?

There's probably a comparison with Donald Trump to be made here but I can't be arsed.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on July 16, 2018, 05:17:03 PM
I believe that Tesla has never made an annual profit in its entire existence?

Concept cars never made a profit but I think the world is a slightly worse place now everyone seems to have stopped making them to focus on bland family hatchbacks and SUV's.

Pdine

steveh

Quote from: paruses on July 16, 2018, 05:15:26 PM
Is he a genius or is he a successful venture capitalist?

He happened to be in the right place at the right time with Paypal and that gave him the money and connections needed for everything that came after, little of which was down to him having superior scientific, engineering or business skills. Entrepreneurs massively, massively underestimate the significance of luck in their success.

phantom_power

As they say there is a reason a lot of money is called a fortune*

*Because that is the dictionary definition of the word

Blumf

In favour of the Musky one: He at least spent his money on creating several business that are trying to make something, as opposed to 99% of other billionaires, who mostly just throw their weight around buying up other companies (and 'rationalising' the staff), or, more specifically, poncing about on sail boats (Larry), and setting up tax efficient 'charitable' orgs which stomp into third world countries to impose their Randian visions of public services (Bill).

Elon Musk at least has put the money into creating something that wasn't happening before. Commercial space launch that isn't tied into the MIC or politically stifled government projects. Proving the popularity of electric vehicles that aren't gimpy hair-shirt snooze boxes (in turn forcing other car companies to finally get their act together after decades of dithering (some notable Jap exceptions granted)).

Having said that, he'd all to often acts the twat, and it seem to be getting worse as time goes by. He needs a time-out on the billionaire idiot step.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I must say the pedo guy outburst was genuinely laugh out loud funny, off the chart.

newbridge

Quote from: steveh on July 16, 2018, 07:09:39 PM
He happened to be in the right place at the right time with Paypal and that gave him the money and connections needed for everything that came after, little of which was down to him having superior scientific, engineering or business skills. Entrepreneurs massively, massively underestimate the significance of luck in their success.

Musk wasn't even responsible for the PayPal technology. He just happened to have money from one of his earlier Dot Com scams (a defunct e-bank) so he merged with the PayPal predecessor before it took off huge and ended up with more shares than anybody else when they sold it.

Not that Peter Thiel is a genius or anything either.

As talentless as Mark Cuban. Lottery money.

petril

I think calling someone a "pedo" after rather desperately and publically trying to get half way around the work just to have access to a group of young boys who are trapped and very vulnerable is quite a good punchline myself.

ajsmith2

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 17, 2018, 12:56:11 AM
I think calling someone a "pedo" after rather desperately and publically trying to get half way around the work just to have access to a group of young boys who are trapped and very vulnerable is quite a good punchline myself.

It would work much better if Musk hadn't just failed at his own attempt of doing same. By the logic of the joke, anyone trying to rescue the boys is a pedo. Musk is just frustrated and unsuccessful one.

Blue Jam

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 17, 2018, 07:55:33 AM
It would work much better if Musk hadn't just failed at his own attempt of doing same. By the logic of the joke, anyone trying to rescue the boys is a pedo. Musk is just frustrated and unsuccessful one.

"Hello boys, would you like me to send my glinting submarine into your cave? Don't worry, it's kid-sized"

Didn't bring an adult-sized submarine for the coach, did he?

Blue Jam

From the Peep Show Quotes group on Facebook:

im barry bethel

Quote from: Blumf on July 16, 2018, 09:21:03 PM
In favour of the Musky one: He at least spent his money on creating several business that are trying to make something, as opposed to 99% of other billionaires...

...Elon Musk at least has put the money into creating something that wasn't happening before. Commercial space launch that isn't tied into the MIC or politically stifled government projects. Proving the popularity of electric vehicles that aren't gimpy hair-shirt snooze boxes

I could be wrong but isn't it usually other people's money no his?, tips in a couple of mill then rinses investors who're blinded by the Musk bandwagon.Strikes me as snake oil salesman, all Branson and no Sinclair.

marquis_de_sad

I'm not the first to say it, but I think Notch is the Gatsby of this universe. Ordinary slubby loser gets rich and buys a massive fuck off mansion, holding constant parties attended by the beautiful people who barely even know he exists.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The idea behind attracting investment to fund theoretical business projects isn't snake oil, it's how most private enterprise begins, but Musk definitely manages to bridge the gap between pipe dream and purse-loosening better than most.

"Pedo guy" though. That is just laugh out loud funny.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 17, 2018, 07:42:27 PM
The idea behind attracting investment to fund theoretical business projects isn't snake oil, it's how most private enterprise begins...

No flies on you is there

Z

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 17, 2018, 05:48:42 PM
I could be wrong but isn't it usually other people's money no his?, tips in a couple of mill then rinses investors who're blinded by the Musk bandwagon.Strikes me as snake oil salesman, all Branson and no Sinclair.
Well, you're half right but you've mixed up regular VC funding and Tesla's extreme levels of government funding between the combo of subsidies and desperate towns pissing away their budgets to accommodate them every which way (see also: Amazon's very public HQ2 courting process).

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/jul/03/all-humanity-has-left-the-area-the-cities-paying-for-tesla-gigafactory

steve98

Musk might have meant to say "Sorry pedalo guy".