Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Constantly recommended films that you don't rate much

Started by Clownbaby, July 16, 2018, 10:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 17, 2018, 03:08:55 PM
Aww bby pls

To be fair that is the exact reaction that I was expecting form at least one person to me mentioning The Princess Bride

I'm not normally protective of films like that (I love Wes Anderson and Marvel movies for instance but can understand why some would dislike them) but The Princess Bride is a joyful lovely little thing. Apart from the fact that Fred Savage grew up to be a republican, but shhhh, we don't talk about that.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 17, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
I'm not normally protective of films like that (I love Wes Anderson and Marvel movies for instance but can understand why some would dislike them) but The Princess Bride is a joyful lovely little thing. Apart from the fact that Fred Savage grew up to be a republican, but shhhh, we don't talk about that.

Aye Princess Bride is just one of those films that when loved is really loved

Nowhere Man

The only thing I don't like about The Princess Bride is that the "Mawwiage" scene with Peter Cook is the only thing Americans know him from. But that's not really the movies fault.

(It's kind of bizarre to me that more people know who Dudley Moore is, but not Cook.)

up_the_hampipe

Dudley definitely had more (Moore?) mainstream appeal.

greenman

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 17, 2018, 03:09:25 PM
I gave up on Pacific Rim when the bad actor bloke 'humorously' lost to a wo-man in a training fight, even though she's a wo-man. Reminded me of 'this guy's got AIDs and he's just beaten me in an arm wrestling contest'.

And i'd nominate every other Guillermo del Toro film for this thread including Pan's Labyrinth.

It was quite amusing to see Rinko Kikuchi pushed for the Ghost in the Shell film seemingly on the back of her Pacific Rim character, I mean its passable entertainment(Del Toro can direct big CGI things hitting each other as well as Jackson can) but her character there is the most clichéd kickass kawaii girl imaginable. That film as a whole is I think far more questionable culturally than casting Johansson in Ghost.

Clownbaby

You just made re remember that I really disliked Kick-Ass. Ooh a child swearing a lot how very very funny

On the other hand I liked the film Super. I thought Rainn Wilson was a lot more tragically convincing as a trodden on guy fighting back. It wasn't a perfect film but surprisingly dark/sad in places

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: greenman on July 17, 2018, 04:59:58 PM
Del Toro can direct big CGI things hitting each other as well as Jackson can..

he unquestionably did a better job of that part of 'pacific rim' than michael bay has ever done with his battlebots flicks.
not to mention that michael bay is just shit anyway, & a bit of a nonce.

greenman

The only worthwhile thing about the existence of Kickass 2 I'd say is that it acts as a nice counter to the criticism the original was only based on violence and swearing.

Large Noise

Quote from: icehaven on July 17, 2018, 01:57:10 PM
I thought District 9 was bloody awful, horrible to look at and almost impossible to give a hoot about anyone or anything in it, but it was critically lauded and I've yet to meet anyone else who's seen it and doesn't rate it highly.
Yes!

Went to see it when it came out on the back of the good reviews and was disappointed by it. Like you say it's just kind of flat; shit to look at,  and uninteresting characters. It's got a very clear message, one that 99% of critics are going to agree with, and very obvious literary influences that nobody's going to miss but everyone's going be chuffed about recognising, so I suppose it was never going get anything other than fulsome praise.

St_Eddie

I like the first 2/3rds of District 9 but then in the last act, the film just becomes a generic action flick and in doing so, it loses me completely.