Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:22:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuff that is an actual stupid waste of money

Started by Replies From View, July 16, 2018, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

1) Replacing signage for Southgate tube station so that it says GARETH SOUTHGATE for 48 hours.

Absolutely do not need that, mate.  It was perfectly functional the way it was before.

Crisps?

Fucking hell, this isn't just a photoshop or a prank.

Edit: Nice that it's below WAY OUT though.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

CHORLEYWOOD HAVEGOTFURTHERIFNOTSORELIANTONSETPIECES

checkoutgirl

Weddings. Like burning 30,000 cash in a big pile.
Brand new cars, like burning 10,000 cash in a big pile.
Dog hotels.
Veterinary surgery.
Prada.
Piers Morgan.

Basically anything that doesn't go towards feeding the hungry and sheltering the homeless or scientific and medical research is most likely a waste of money.

Norton Canes

Shit Good Nose

For an individual it has to be cigs.  £50 (or however much it is now) a pack for something that makes you stink, turns your teeth and fingers brown AND causes any number of bad diseases.  Baffles me why anyone does it.

Paul Calf

BANK ONENGLANDGETTINGANEARLYONETHENGOINGTOPIECESFORTHENEXTHOURBEFORECONCEDINGASCREAMERTOAMIDFIELDERRLYINTHESECONDHALFTHENCONCEDINGAFURTHERGOALINEXTRATIMETOCRASHOUTIGNOMINIOUSLY.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 16, 2018, 12:29:17 PM
For an individual it has to be cigs.  £50 (or however much it is now) a pack for something that makes you stink, turns your teeth and fingers brown AND causes any number of bad diseases.  Baffles me why anyone does it.

When I was young it was a scientific fact that smoking looked cool as fuck. Not sure that this is the case any more.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2018, 12:02:09 PM
Absolutely do not need that, mate.  It was perfectly functional the way it was before.

I sometimes worry for you lad, lighten up will you. It's just a bit of crack and came out of a purse of billions.

Teresa May is a much bigger waste of money. Imagine how much money Boris (birdsnest hairstyle) Johnson costs to maintain.

Crisps?

For an individual it has to be cigs.  £50 (or however much it is now) a pack for something that makes you stink, turns your teeth and fingers brown AND causes any number of bad diseases. 

I save thousands a year just by eating my own shit.

(Arsed.)

Icehaven

A friend of mine's Mum always used to refuse to buy or have anything to do with fireworks, and she'd triumphantly say ''It's literally burning money!'' if they were ever mentioned. By that logic every non-essential can be written off as merely a frivolous way of destroying cash. Nice food? it's just eating money! Few pints at the weekend? It's just drinking then pissing away money! Got any pets? It's just pushing money into a small digestive system then eventually burying it in the backyard! And this was a woman who with her husband owned a small yacht. It's just floating money then having it sunk by those bad storms a few years back!
But yeah that Gareth Southgate station thing is a bit daft, they clearly already had it ready to go in case they won or even made the final and didn't want it to be even more of a waste by not doing it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 16, 2018, 12:36:56 PM
When I was young it was a scientific fact that smoking looked cool as fuck. Not sure that this is the case any more.

IS THIS COOL?

Z

Hard to beat weddings for this, isn't it? I assume big ass dumb weddings are quite in decline since the naming crisis? Can't imagine that many people my age viewing it as a necessity

Dex Sawash

Yeti coolers, the one that holds 24 cans is $300.

doppelkorn

Weddings are just a big party really. Mine didn't cost £30k.

Icehaven

Call this utter naivety but I was genuinely surprised to learn a lot of high end designer gear actually isn't any better made than high street stuff. Not having ever been in the market for clothes and accessories that cost hundreds or even thousands of pounds I'd just presumed that while you were largely paying for the brand name and exclusivity etc. the products themselves would also be much higher quality than similar things that cost a fraction of the price, but apparently this really isn't the case and often they're made of the same materials, use the same production techniques and fall apart just as easily, so you really are just paying for the label. I suppose given they're mostly only going to be briefly used anyway before being discarded for next season's must-haves there's no real need for them to last but it's still remarkably silly. 

Personalised number plates.  I seriously can't imagine having that much money that, instead of spending it on a hobby or give the money to charity, spunking it away on something to stick on your car that slightly misspells your nickname.

Jockice

I actually feel much the same about alcohol. Something addictive and expensive that fucks your brains and your body up. And doesn't even look cool.

Cue millions of people disagreeing with me. It's okay. I'm used to it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on July 16, 2018, 01:11:50 PM
so you really are just paying for the label

Depends. I have a penchant for Hilfiger jumpers and at €110 a throw they're nowhere near the most expensive jumpers on the market but hardly cheap either. I've never thrown one out and the first one I got was about 10 years ago, it's still wearable. Contrast with a Primark and it's just not the same level of ruggedness.

Can't speak for any other luxury goods except maybe a Rolex which costs 10,000, you can get similar levels of quality for half the price and sometimes much, much less.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 16, 2018, 01:21:03 PM
Personalised number plates.  I seriously can't imagine having that much money that, instead of spending it on a hobby or give the money to charity, spunking it away on something to stick on your car that slightly misspells your nickname.

Also you're paying for something that basically says "I am a dickhead" which I wouldn't even want for free to be honest. Maybe the 12 year old me would dig it but I probably would have grown out of the idea by 15 years of age.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 16, 2018, 01:21:03 PM

Lot cheaper to just wind down your windows and shout 'I'm a bellend'.

The only exception to this is I do find it quite funny that some wag in practically every American state has bagged 'BORT'.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2018, 12:42:53 PM
I sometimes worry for you lad, lighten up will you. It's just a bit of crack and came out of a purse of billions.

It is inexcusable while people are homeless.

Fix the homelessness with the purse of billions, then put up wacky signs that briefly commemorate a man who does what he is paid for.

Otherwise I agree with you; it's nothing to get het up about, but then I wasn't getting het up.  It's just a thread of things that are a waste of money.  If it helps, I feel the same way about public firework displays.  I'm not trying to trigger football supporters and there's no reason to be sensitive about this.

One of my mates has a wife who couldn't think of anything he liked to get as a Xmas present, so she got him a personalised number plate.  And now it's on his car and he feels rightfully embarrassed.  He's not actually a bellend, but by christ he must have a shit wife.

Jockice

The only people I know with personalised number plates are a guy I was at school with who once made an appearance in a thread on here about the uncoolest people you've ever met, and a relation of mine who at least has the excuse of having an unusual surname and running a garage. Oh and a female friend of mine had one years ago but I don't think she has it anymore.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2018, 01:49:44 PM
I'm not trying to trigger football supporters and there's no reason to be sensitive about this.

I'm not triggered and barely a football supporter, but it's a few hundred quid at the most and sometimes banding together as a nation can be fun and positive and that. You can be pro sorting out homelessness and also not mind a sign put up for bit of fun at the cost of a hundred quid or whatever.

My point is people like Will Young and Catherine The Great (Wills and Kate) cost way more money and are about as useful as a Gareth Southgate sign in a tube station.