Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuff that is an actual stupid waste of money

Started by Replies From View, July 16, 2018, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crisps?

It would make more (some) sense if he was from Southgate. (Is he? I dunno.) Otherwise it's just weird and inexplicable, temporarily renaming a Tube station almost nobody in the country has even heard of.

New page? The Queen, then.

AsparagusTrevor

The (now estranged) husband of my wife's workmate, a man in his mid-thirties with two young kids, had the personalised number-plate "P16 CUM" or "PIG CUM". He bought the plate he'd for his first car and transferred to each subsequent one.

He told me, due to pressure from his wife, he was trying to sell the plate on eBay for a laughably large amount, I can't remember how much exactly but it was a 5 figure sum. Surprisingly he didn't have much luck, and as far as I know he still hasn't managed to sell it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Loot Crates. Why spend £20 on stuff you enjoy when you can spend £20 on a box of random items that you might enjoy instead? I've been watching Ashens unbox these on YouTube for about four years and I'd say that there's probably been a couple of items out of the nearly £1,000 worth of boxes he's received so far. Absolute shite.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2018, 02:24:30 PM
I'm not triggered and barely a football supporter, but it's a few hundred quid at the most and sometimes banding together as a nation can be fun and positive and that. You can be pro sorting out homelessness and also not mind a sign put up for bit of fun at the cost of a hundred quid or whatever.

My point is people like Will Young and Catherine The Great (Wills and Kate) cost way more money and are about as useful as a Gareth Southgate sign in a tube station.

It's bread and circus for easily pleased twats.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 16, 2018, 02:42:32 PM
Loot Crates. Why spend £20 on stuff you enjoy when you can spend £20 on a box of random items that you might enjoy instead? I've been watching Ashens unbox these on YouTube for about four years and I'd say that there's probably been a couple of items out of the nearly £1,000 worth of boxes he's received so far. Absolute shite.

I've got a great idea for something called Anthrax Crate.  It's a sure fire way to cull the overgrown babies who buy these sorts of things.

Sebastian Cobb

Go bigger, you can buy pallets of stuff returned to Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm1NEFl13aU

Sebastian Cobb

Speaking of boxes, those graze boxes look like utter sfc.

From what I can tell they're mostly nuts and berries so I reckon for the price of a couple of boxes you could do the whole week. Seems such a waste of resources shipping them as well.

Brundle-Fly

All items from US imported confectionary/savoury snacks stores. ie - Kingdom Of Sweets

These are my favourite corn based hot nibbles of choice but even I baulk at paying this figure for essentially a grab bag of Spicy Nik Naks processed in extra chillipowder and red food dye.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2018, 03:32:07 PM
All items from US imported confectionary/savoury snacks stores. ie - Kingdom Of Sweets

Popping into them for a quick sneer, is however free.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2018, 03:32:07 PM

These are my favourite corn based hot nibbles of choice but even I baulk at paying this figure for essentially a grab bag of Spicy Nik Naks processed in extra chillipowder and red food dye.

Speaking of baulking at costs, I thought it'd be fun to get an old Polaroid camera to play around with. Cameras themselves are reasonably priced (outside of some special/vintage models) but I baulked at the film, you're about £20 for a thing of 8 photos.

im barry bethel

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 16, 2018, 01:21:03 PM
Personalised number plates. 

I picked up an old Skoda once for £250 and sold the plate for £300 so I won't have a bad word said against the bellend who bought it

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 16, 2018, 03:51:34 PM
I picked up an old Skoda once for £250 and sold the plate for £300 so I won't have a bad word said against the bellend who bought it

I know someone who spent thousands getting a battered old xjs through an mot so they could flog the plate only to find it wasn't worth much. And all the work they did on the xjs was just to get a pass so it still looked cosmetically fucked.

Having slagged off personalised number plates earlier, I do have to put my hands up and admit that I once bought a "loot crate" of sorts (although that didn't exist as a term back when I bought it).  It was a "bag of crap", where you send a (now defunct) website called Boffer twenty quid and they send you, erm, a box of random crap.  In mine was some right shite, sunflower seeds, a plastic crocodile, a horrible sweatshop dress, couple of plastic bangles, just bollocks basically.  It did also contain a few things I actually used, like hand gel, an XL t-shirt that I wear for DIY/painting jobs, and about a hundred Xmas cards, which I'm still getting through.  Oh, and a blue passport holder that I then sold as a "BREXIT PASSPORT HOLDER" for six quid or so after the referendum result.  All in all, not worth twenty quid like, but what did I expect?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 16, 2018, 12:59:50 PM
Yeti coolers, the one that holds 24 cans is $300.

This typifies my absolutely hatred of ecommerce and my refusal to go back into it. The last ecomerce company I worked for were flogging fucking dog obstacle courses on their website. And that's one of the least offensive things they were selling. Not even getting into the fact that a lot of this stuff is made of non-biodegradable plastic, things like that just add to the weight of utter shit in the world. But there's enough cretins on the planet who'll buy this stuff and thus make it a viable business model - see also the quarterwits I came across when working for Asda Home who'd happily shell out £800 on wood-effect bookcases and wardrobes. At that price point, why not just buy an antique equivalent? it'll be real wood, handmade, and will actually look nice in your house.

JesusAndYourBush

For some reason I once watched an unboxing video for one of these.  The guy doing it looked genuinely bored,  oh a Batman t-shirt,  oh look a plastic figure from something I'm not into,  oh it's packet of stickers for something I grew out of last year.  It was like someone had gone through Games Workshop's bins and sold it to someone mug enough to buy it.

wosl

Space Dust - little granules of mockery taunting your gob and wallet every time you shovel a fleeting mouthful in.

boki

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 16, 2018, 04:09:32 PMOh, and a blue passport holder that I then sold as a "BREXIT PASSPORT HOLDER" for six quid or so after the referendum result.  All in all, not worth twenty quid like, but what did I expect?
Can you really put a price on the satisfaction gained from rinsing a Daily Express reader, though?

shiftwork2

Personalised number plates are apparently a good investment so not sure they fit the remit of the thread.  Still exclusively for grapefruits.

Buying a brand new vehicle is a different matter and not only is it the biggest 'set fire to a roll of tenners' most people will ever do, they also don't even seem to care.

QDRPHNC

This business model has started to branch out in to the hipster market, curated boxes for gentlemen, full of beard wax and pipe bitters and brass cooling tubes for your absinthe.

One did get me curious though, they send you a nice plain t-shirt, underwear and sock set every month or so, and since I always have it in the back of mind to buy more of that shit, I took a look. The stuff looked good, seemed like good quality, but then I discovered that their garments have use by dates on them, by which they recommend you throw them out because of "germs".

Absolute fuckwits.

Clownbaby

My boy Limmy gave real talk on the abundance of water ready from the tap. I always feel guilty, like I've wasted my money, if the only thing I can buy in a shop is water.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2018, 05:32:12 PM
This business model has started to branch out in to the hipster market, curated boxes for gentlemen, full of beard wax and pipe bitters and brass cooling tubes for your absinthe.

One did get me curious though, they send you a nice plain t-shirt, underwear and sock set every month or so, and since I always have it in the back of mind to buy more of that shit, I took a look. The stuff looked good, seemed like good quality, but then I discovered that their garments have use by dates on them, by which they recommend you throw them out because of "germs".

Absolute fuckwits.

There's something a bit wrong about this
https://www.imperfectproduce.com/p-3-about-us.html

Gentrifying food waste or something. I mean obviously they're just seconds, I guess the premium you're paying is delivery and the smug feeling that you're helping.

paruses

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 16, 2018, 05:39:54 PM
There's something a bit wrong about this
https://www.imperfectproduce.com/p-3-about-us.html

Gentrifying food waste or something. I mean obviously they're just seconds, I guess the premium you're paying is delivery and the smug feeling that you're helping.

Yes - what is it? The About Us starts with a good idea and I did think that would be good to do - there's a project in Dublin that has collated supermarket food "waste" schedules so that that food can be redistributed to the needy rather than the bin - then I read on and got the impression it has ended up as selling boxes of fruit and veg for $30 a month.

I haven't clicked around so it might be perfectly honourable. I suppose the really honourable thing would be doing it as a non-profit.

[Edit - OK they give their surplus spares to nonprofits. Would be great if something like this could take off and break the stranglehold that supermarkets have on farmers. sadly all that will happen is it would become super profitable and be a different pair of hands doing the strangling]

DArtagnan

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 16, 2018, 02:39:57 PM
London

While I'll accept that it may not be true in your case, I tend to think that a lot of people who say that London is a waste of money, or a rubbish place to live, actually cry themselves to sleep at night in frustration that they can't afford to live there.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: DArtagnan on July 18, 2018, 02:08:47 PM
While I'll accept that it may not be true in your case, I tend to think that a lot of people who say that London is a waste of money, or a rubbish place to live, actually cry themselves to sleep at night in frustration that they can't afford to live there.

I live in london & I cry myself to sleep at night because I live in london. & it's not about the money, it's about how shit most of london is.

Perfume/aftershave. Been in an airport recently? Seventy-odd quid for a vial of scented water.