Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:02:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Really On the Nose Moments in Movies

Started by Sin Agog, July 16, 2018, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I'll start with Spike Lee explaining the meaning of the word 'satire' right at the beginning of Bamboozled.  Kind of undermines the film's conceit of black people being patronised and belittled in media.

QDRPHNC

The end of The Darjeeling Limited, when the 3 brothers literally throw away their father's baggage.

When the once-grumpy Sam Neil throws away his dinosaur claw to illustrate that he doesn't hate children anymore.

Twit 2

Gregory Torso

The bit at the end of The Lives Of Others when Mr Stasi buys the book and says "ay! It's for me!" Cheesy grin, FREEZE FRAME

zomgmouse

Hell or High Water
I'm not sure if you got this from the complete lack of mentioning of this in the film, but the banks... are the real robbers. Not sure if they said this ever in the film at all, if any of the characters ever said that. It was a real subtle message that no one ever uttered out loud ever in this film.

Custard

Obvious, but let's get it out the way

The beardy bloody architect in The Matrix Reloaded

Sebastian Cobb

Mind you, with the alt-right and amazon doing face detection/ai for law and Google doing military stuff it's almost prescient.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 18, 2018, 08:31:07 AM

Mind you, with the alt-right and amazon doing face detection/ai for law and Google doing military stuff it's almost prescient.

Aye.  Just like how everyone laughed at The Siege when it came out, and then a couple of years later 9/11 happened and the shit laughable film got real.

Schnapple

Two bits from last year's 'A Fantastic Woman', in which the lead trans character turns on a car radio after a humiliating incident at the hands of the police and Make Me Feel (Like A Natural Woman) is on, which she subsequently begins to belt out. Later, she is walking up a slightly inclined street and a storm suddenly whips up against her in dramatic fashion, cos, even walking down the street is a challenge.

Shite.

phantom_power

Child to mother in new Godzilla trailer: "You're a monster!"

SavageHedgehog

The bit in The Mist where all the characters discuss the (not exactly subtle) subtext of the film; "boy you take mobile phones away from everyone for a few days and they start behaving like animals!". I liked it, but this is the main reason I've never been able to quite get on board with the idea that it's a modern classic.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pretty much every line in Blade Runner 2049.

Shit Good Nose

When an actors say the movie title. Mý favourite is A View to a Kill.

I'm trying to think of a single scene in American History X that could be described as subtle or low-key. I cannot. The whole thing is on-the-nose.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 11, 2018, 07:53:50 PM

American History X sort of does this. It's the title of Ed Furlong's essay for school.

Shit Good Nose

Doesn't that happen in most of the Bond films?  Or at least a good chunk of them?  And I don't mean just in the title songs.

Sebastian Cobb

I like Doc's the over the top 4th wall breaking 'Back to the Future!' in BTTF.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2018, 08:04:59 PM
I like Doc's the over the top 4th wall breaking 'Back to the Future!' in BTTF.

Do you know what my favourite bit of the entire trilogy is?  "LOOK!  There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual!"  It's a very small moment, made even greater by Marty not even double-taking it.

That says more about how much I like that moment than what I think of the films themselves.

St_Eddie

When an actors say the movie title.

"So, that's it, huh? We're some kind of suicide squad?"

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 11, 2018, 08:04:33 PM
Did anyone say Quantum of Solace?

Bond: "Mate, you know what you are, don't you?  A quantum of solace, that's what.  Now get off my fucking porch."

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 11, 2018, 08:34:33 PM
"So, that's it, huh? We're some kind of suicide squad?"

I thought this one was a joke/meme until I looked up the clip on You Tube just now.

I suppose it's forgivable in a comic book film. I mean, Iron Man ends with Tony Stark saying, 'I am Iron Man.'

mothman

I think the only time the words "Star Trek" have been spoken was in ST: First Contact.

nero

There's a scene in 3 Billboards in Darlington, Missouri or whatever it was - where Frances McDormand's co-worker says 'Did you put up those billboards to piss off those cops yet?' or something along those lines.

Fuck off.

fucking ponderous

Right, the line really should have been "did you put up those three billboards outside ebbing, missouri to piss off cops yet." And this almost won best screenplay.

mojo filters

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Jack Nicholson trying to explain the value of half cigarettes to the other inmate playing cards.

That's always stood out as perfectly pitched and exactly on point.

Large Noise

Quote from: fucking ponderous on August 12, 2018, 12:49:33 AM
Right, the line really should have been "did you put up those three billboards outside ebbing, missouri to piss off cops yet." And this almost won best screenplay.
Flashback to the argument with her daughter before she got raped and murdered:

- No, don't go out that late, you could be murdered or raped!

- I hope I do get bloody well murdered and raped!

- Well I hope you do too then!

Cut back to the mother regretting this exchange.

magval

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 11, 2018, 08:42:44 PM
I thought this one was a joke/meme until I looked up the clip on You Tube just now.

I suppose it's forgivable in a comic book film. I mean, Iron Man ends with Tony Stark saying, 'I am Iron Man.'

He likes Black Sabbath, to be fair.

BritishHobo

In Super 8, the lad has to literally let go of a photograph of his dead mother (which is on a chain which is caught on the alien) in order for the alien to be able to fly home.

There's also a bit in one of the Harry Potters where Maggie Smith is arguing with Imelda Staunton on some steps and every time Staunton slams her, she takes a step higher and Maggie takes a step down.

Sebastian Cobb

E.T. pointing at the sky and saying he needs to phone home. Alright mate, we get it, give it a rest.