Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Really On the Nose Moments in Movies

Started by Sin Agog, July 16, 2018, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2018, 07:20:08 PM
E.T. pointing at the sky and saying he needs to phone home. Alright mate, we get it, give it a rest.

"E.T. phone Baaaabbbbeeee Stttaaaaattion"

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 12, 2018, 06:23:02 PM
There's also a bit in one of the Harry Potters where Maggie Smith is arguing with Imelda Staunton on some steps and every time Staunton slams her, she takes a step higher and Maggie takes a step down.

There's a bit in one of the Star Wars prequels where Obi Wan bests Anakin in a lightsaber fight, then looks down at him from a raised platform and says "I have the higher ground".

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 12, 2018, 09:31:00 PM
There's a bit in one of the Star Wars prequels where Obi Wan bests Anakin in a lightsaber fight, then looks down at him from a raised platform and says "I have the higher ground".

Speaking of Revenge of the Sith and really on the nose moments...

Quote from: Revenge of the SithAnakin: "I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over!"

Obi-Wan: "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"

Anakin: "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

AsparagusTrevor

Saw the trailer for a film I didn't previously know existed, First Man, about Neil Armstrong (played by Ryan Gosling) and the moon landings. Characters kept making a point to address Gosling's character by his first name.

"Hi Neil, how's the moon-landing stuff going?"

"Neil, you've got to reach for the stars!" (shot of Neil looking wistfully at the moon)

"Hey Neil, you'll never set foot on the moon, Neil. A man will never take that giant leap, Neil. Armstrong."

mothman

Is there a "Christ, Neil, will you stop going on about what you heard your next door neighbour's wife shout at him thirty years ago?"

paruses

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 13, 2018, 09:51:20 AM
Saw the trailer for a film I didn't previously know existed, First Man, about Neil Armstrong (played by Ryan Gosling) and the moon landings. Characters kept making a point to address Gosling's character by his first name.

"Hi Neil, how's the moon-landing stuff going?"

"Neil, you've got to reach for the stars!" (shot of Neil looking wistfully at the moon)

"Hey Neil, you'll never set foot on the moon, Neil. A man will never take that giant leap, Neil. Armstrong."

Yes I saw that trailer at the weekend - I had no idea that film was even being thought about so it was quite useful that they did say his name over and over but it looks quite heavy handed and laboured.

I might like to go and see it though as, to be honest, I had never really thought about how dangerous the moon landing missions for Neil Armstrong would have been had they taken place.

(I'll just leave that there for someone to pick up)

idunnosomename

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 11, 2018, 07:53:50 PM
When an actors say the movie title. Mý favourite is A View to a Kill.

"I'm just so sick of all these star wars"

Brundle-Fly

The best "on the nose moments" are in music biopics usually involving the origins of song lyrics.

The fantastically naff Beach Boys biopic, Summer Dreams (1990)

" Yeah, they'll have fun until daddy takes the T-bird away"

Ray (2004)

"Now you just hit the road, Jack, and don't you be coming back!"

Isn't there a moment in The Karen Carpenter Story (1989) when someone makes a comment about Karen looking like she'd put on some weight and this was the tipping point into fatal anorexia?

The sponsor payoff to the trailer is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCyjYJS8eXs

non capisco

Quote from: nero on August 11, 2018, 10:16:01 PM
There's a scene in 3 Billboards in Darlington, Missouri or whatever it was - where Frances McDormand's co-worker says 'Did you put up those billboards to piss off those cops yet?' or something along those lines.

Fuck off.

Yes, thank you, that film is absolute garbage and a lot of people got strangely snotty with me for voicing this opinion when it was out.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on August 13, 2018, 11:19:48 PM
Yes, thank you, that film is absolute garbage and a lot of people got strangely snotty with me for voicing this opinion when it was out.

Ah, what is known as the "Slumdog Millionaire Effect?"

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 13, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
Isn't there a moment in The Karen Carpenter Story (1989) when someone makes a comment about Karen looking like she'd put on some weight and this was the tipping point into fatal anorexia?

I don't know the scene, but that or something like it must go on at some point for Mark Kermode repeatedly refers back to it when reviewing anything with these sorts of things in. "Chubby, hmm?" moments, he calls them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: non capisco on August 13, 2018, 11:19:48 PM

You fucking cunt I'm going to fuck you up and kill your parents and any children you've probably had and then abandoned you monstrous turd eh I thought it was okay, nothing special but watchable enough.

Crabwalk

The rat on the window ledge at the end of The Departed. Yikes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That bit in Ong-Bak where the central character's determination to win is demonstrated by displaying 🔥 🔥 in his eyes.

Actually spluttered at that point

madhair60

I know it's a kids' film but the part at the end of Wall-E where the fat cunt turns to the camera and goes OHHHH EXERCISE was a bit rum

magval

That episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy gets some success in TV because Shakespeare is doctoring his scripts, but then the execs start giving him notes anyway.

the ouch cube

The ending of This Is England (the film) where the kid chucks the Union Jack in the sea.

Twed

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 12, 2018, 09:31:00 PM
Isn't that the movie where Anakin pretty much just announces that he feels sad or angry, instead of conveying it via acting?

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 11, 2018, 08:02:14 PM
Doesn't that happen in most of the Bond films?  Or at least a good chunk of them?  And I don't mean just in the title songs.

Octopussy gets the title character AND an unused Bond story title in "Property of a Lady"

The only ones to not mention the title are...

Live And Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum Of Solace

I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service get's a quippy mention. But can't recall at the mo

mjwilson

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 11, 2018, 08:42:44 PM
I thought this one was a joke/meme until I looked up the clip on You Tube just now.

Wait till you see the end of Fant4stic.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 16, 2018, 06:08:38 PM
The end of The Darjeeling Limited, when the 3 brothers literally throw away their father's baggage.

Yeah, I didn't like the film really and then this made me absolutely hate it. I don't think I've liked any Wes Anderson work since then.

mrpupkin

The first 20 seconds of this from hilarious Michael Jackson biopic Man in the Mirror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUa8yWMgoE

neveragain

Quote from: Large Noise on August 12, 2018, 12:12:36 PM
Flashback to the argument with her daughter before she got raped and murdered:

- No, don't go out that late, you could be murdered or raped!

- I hope I do get bloody well murdered and raped!

- Well I hope you do too then!

Cut back to the mother regretting this exchange.

The only bit of the film that made cringe (I very much like McDonagh as a writer, and the film was full of great performances/moral ambiguity). I can only hope it was meant to be black comedy otherwise it's just stupid. Especially if it was meant to be the night she died.

MortSahlFan

in "Stroszek" when they come to the realization that the US isn't what it was made out to be.. He talks about the history of where he came from (Germany), mentions the Nazis, and says how the only different in America is the smiling. Eva has to prostitute herself, and she ditches him.... Life becomes worse for them all.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Watching '90s disaster flick Volcano just now. After several references to racial tensions, Rodney King etc. a little kid looks around at a multiethnic crowd of people all covered in ash and says, "Look at them. They all look the same."

I think it was saying something about smoking.

Chollis

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 25, 2018, 02:10:40 PM
Watching '90s disaster flick Volcano just now. After several references to racial tensions, Rodney King etc. a little kid looks around at a multiethnic crowd of people all covered in ash and says, "Look at them. They all look the same."

I think it was saying something about smoking.

Just a very racist kid.