Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best system for listening to music?

Started by Emma Raducanu, July 16, 2018, 04:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Ive got a spare room. I haven't been listening to music properly for over 3 years. I want to. But I want a sound system that is fucking amazing.

In my imagination, I think like a soundbooth, which utterly immerses me in crystal clear music. I probably don't have more than £2000 but could possibly, if it's worth it.

I will do some research but maybe someone can vouch for something?

bgmnts

2 grand to listen to music?

Something for the waste of money thread.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2018, 04:49:44 PM

it is if you "haven't been listening to music properly for over three years".

I've probably spent more than that on CDs in the last three years, & CDs are on their way out as a distribution medium.

bgmnts

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 16, 2018, 05:08:54 PM
it is if you "haven't been listening to music properly for over three years".

I've probably spent more than that on CDs in the last three years, & CDs are on their way out as a distribution medium.

I just sold a lifetime's worth of DVD collecting (admittedly chipped away at a bit) for around 100 pound.

It's sad.

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2018, 04:49:44 PM

That did inspire this thread.

Twed

Howj Begg

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 16, 2018, 04:45:04 PM
Ive got a spare room. I haven't been listening to music properly for over 3 years. I want to. But I want a sound system that is fucking amazing.

In my imagination, I think like a soundbooth, which utterly immerses me in crystal clear music. I probably don't have more than £2000 but could possibly, if it's worth it.

I will do some research but maybe someone can vouch for something?

I'm sure you know to have a look at Cambridge Audio products. I've only got a £350 minx xi but I think it recreates music well. I'm sure the pricier CA products are worth looking at for you.

Sebastian Cobb

I've had Cambridge products in the past but would recommend NAD above them.

Really happy with the Quad gear I got to replace it though. Not really that much more than new NAD/Cambridge gear. Although you can pick up NAD stuff for a song on ebay.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Twed on July 16, 2018, 05:49:49 PM
Original Playstation mate.  (only slightly kidding: https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play/index.html)

I looked into this a little while ago. Bizarrely I have the paper copy of that magazine as well. You need a very specific model number of the PS1 and people selling g those on eBay seem to know what they are as well.

90s and 00s separates are really cheap on eBay. Buy them.

wasp_f15ting

What equipment do you have already?

Also what is your primary medium? - Vinyl, CD, Files?

wasp_f15ting

If you have source components already, I suggest the following:-

ATC SCM 7 (new) or SCM11s 2nd Hand
https://bit.ly/2moTEf5

These are fabulous punchy, accurate speakers

For an amplifier you Rega Brio R
https://bit.ly/2mura3X

CD Player which got an excellent write up in Stereophile is the Rega Apollo
https://bit.ly/2Lpy9FQ

If you have the CD player already, then get a DAC so you can listen to your files etc - I can't recommend Chord enough
Alternative if you have Vinyl - then you might want to look at the Rega Planar 3

If all you need is an Amp, then consider getting better speakers. The Harbeth PS3R is a beauty if you have a lot of vocal music, if not the ACT SCM 11s are also a good choice

Emma Raducanu

Thanks for those. I'm reading and reading but KEF LS50 wireless is out in front so far. They're offering a super simple solution I think I'm looking for.

wasp_f15ting

They are really good speakers the LS50s if you want a simple all in one solution.