Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scribblings in old notebooks

Started by Noonling, July 16, 2018, 06:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

While most of my notebooks have coherent scribblings, every so often I find things I've written in it that don't make sense. I'm curious what nonsensical notes other people have in their notebooks or journals or whathaveyou.

- torn corner after bump man
- med kit, cold-weather clothing, Little Gaia, polarised googles, gun +1, speculum jacket
- WB - "I could cheat on you and I'd only even know half the time"
- N-P entertains Iz as its (?) ran to find someone not afraid of her

Whatever this is...It looks purposeful, but nonsense:

Clownbaby

I was flicking through an old notebook and one page was blank with just "ozbojangles" written in the corner. I forget what the was for. Also I found a couple of pages about a dream I had about Will.I.Am

Malcy

I lost 2 on a recent move that had so so much madness and good stuff in them. Really sorry to lose them. I do however have an Our Willie notebook that survived but only a few pages used and nothing that interesting.

Great things to have but don't fucking lose them...

They were mostly comedy ideas but there were a lot of mental dreams that I used to write down as I woke up. Someone once told me to keep it by the bed and if you wake up remembering a dream really well then hit down every detail you can as quick as you can before it goes.

Great advice and great to read back randomly years later but even thinking on those lost notebooks there are lots of those dreams swirling round my head now. Dreams I had 15 years ago pop into my head at ranfom times and I go 'oh yeah'.

popcorn

I went through some very old notebooks a while ago and took some photos of the more intriguing pages.

^^^ Learning about synthesisers for the first time. (A couple of years later I made this!)

^^^ This is a promise I made myself but have since broken. Note the (incorrect) Japanese at the top. (I live in Tokyo now - weird.)

a duncandisorderly

riffs, written out in "a A" notation rather than on staves, though sometimes there'll be guitar chords/arpeggios actually drawn how you'd play them.
diagrams of midi hookups.
things for work.
setlists.
lists of jpg files to do things with.
I'll see if I can unearth anything more interesting.

Norton Canes

People actually do this? Scribble anything but shopping lists, I mean?

Closest I had was an old accounts jotter that my dad bought home from work when I was a kid, that I used mostly for Fighting Fantasy character sheets and Car Wars designs. I think it had a few doodles too.

Noonling

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 17, 2018, 12:04:48 PM
People actually do this? Scribble anything but shopping lists, I mean?

Closest I had was an old accounts jotter that my dad bought home from work when I was a kid, that I used mostly for Fighting Fantasy character sheets and Car Wars designs. I think it had a few doodles too.

Much as I otherwise love computers, I find writing in a book easier, particularly when on the train or in a park etc. Most of the scribbles (that aren't stories) are to do with plot or character ideas, some are game ideas, some are quotes from books I've read, and the rest are game notes (e.g. quest details for Morrowind or Darklands).

SteveDave

I've got a big cardboard box full of old notebooks that I've just put into storage. They're of no use to anyone but I can't chuck them out.

The worst example of undecipherable scribbling I've got is when I woke up one night with a song in my head. It was a perfect folk ballad thing with loads of different bits all there. I grabbed my phone and (quietly) whistled all the parts several times so I could pick it up easily in the morning. I then went back to sleep.

In the morning I listened back to what was sure to be my next smash hit and it was just the noise of me blowing against the microphone of my phone. I kept it for months and would ask people if they could hear anything.

Bastard.

littlenell

Quote from: SteveDave on July 17, 2018, 01:49:53 PM
I've got a big cardboard box full of old notebooks that I've just put into storage. They're of no use to anyone but I can't chuck them out.

The worst example of undecipherable scribbling I've got is when I woke up one night with a song in my head. It was a perfect folk ballad thing with loads of different bits all there. I grabbed my phone and (quietly) whistled all the parts several times so I could pick it up easily in the morning. I then went back to sleep.

In the morning I listened back to what was sure to be my next smash hit and it was just the noise of me blowing against the microphone of my phone. I kept it for months and would ask people if they could hear anything.

Bastard.

Similar to this, I woke up thinking I had dreamed what could be a best selling book! Very vivid, full plot, ideas which seemed amazing, and original. So I scribbled it all down. When I rediscovered it, days later, I remembered and eagerly began to read. Most of it was legible, but complete nonsense. The bits that made sense were completely mundane, and I was left feeling crestfallen. I tell myself the dream probably was special, but the important details are mpossible to read.

Twat.

littlenell

Quote from: littlenell on July 18, 2018, 12:05:05 AM
Similar to this, I woke up thinking I had dreamed what could be a best selling book! Very vivid, full plot, ideas which seemed amazing, and original. So I scribbled it all down. When I rediscovered it, days later, it came back to me and I  eagerly began to read. Most of it was legible, but complete nonsense. The bits that made sense were completely mundane, and I was left feeling crestfallen. I tell myself the dream probably was special, but the important, life changing details are impossible to convey.

Twat.