Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft things that scared you when you were little/still scare you now

Started by Clownbaby, July 16, 2018, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

When I was about 4-6 I was obsessed with Penny Crayon on tape and watched it on a loop. There was an episode where they went to a waxworks museum and I absolutely shat myself when this stab of shock music and a close up of a Margaret Thatcher waxwork flashed up on the screen. I didn't know about Margaret Thatcher, the pale queasy face and the music just really got to me. (Thatch at 2:43)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4glGhG8rFXc

There was also a British Gas advert around 2OO1 that featured household items shaking and jumping about. I've never been able to find it and it really annoys me. There was a ram's head red hot poker that used its horns to extend out and swing down to the floor on some hooks. That scared me for some reason. My mam didn't know what I was on about until the advert came on again and I started shaking. We decided to name it The Bolgony

QDRPHNC

1. Worzel Gummidge opening credits.

2. The whistling kettle sound on my sister's electronic Sindy cooker.

garbed_attic

This would be the perfect thread to promote my podcast with.
EDIT: Ah why not? Neil can delete if he fancies - I have a legit posting history!
https://stillscared.podigee.io/

And:

bgmnts

The Xenomorph.

Everything about it is absolutely fucking nightmarish.

Oh and snakes.

Clownbaby

BeardFaceMan

Clownbaby

kittens

that sound that goes spaceman. like spaceman i always wanted to to know spaceman intergalactic something. that one. i would cry and leave the room as soon as it started. never heard more than the first few seconds.

edit
song. not just the sound that goes spaceman

Clownbaby

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2018, 07:23:36 PM
that sound that goes spaceman. like spaceman i always wanted to to know spaceman intergalactic something. that one. i would cry and leave the room as soon as it started. never heard more than the first few seconds.

edit

Oh my god, I used to be weirdly obsessed with that song.  I was reply into aliens when I was little, so I collected inflatable aliens, the silvery toy aliens with the big heads and skinny bodies, alien keyrings. I loved that song and I loved Eiffel 65 - I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee) and ad it played on a loop every birthday at Magic Castle soft play area

Crisps?

Stop motion animation, animation from Eastern Europe and stuff made in the 1970s.

Spaceman doesn't bother me, but O Superman did and probably still does (I'm not going to check).

Clownbaby

Quote from: Crisps? on July 16, 2018, 07:37:52 PM
Stop motion animation, animation from Eastern Europe and stuff made in the 1970s.

Spaceman doesn't bother me, but O Superman did and probably still does (I'm not going to check).

I get a really unexplainable feeling of dread when I listen to O Superman. Part of me likes it but it feels like it's cursed

hedgehog90

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2018, 07:23:36 PM

edit

That song used to give me a super dark feeling in the pit of my guts and balls when I was little. It was incredibly thrilling and amazing but made me feel real uneasy and weird at the same time.
The last season of Twin Peaks gave me a similar feeling.

hedgehog90

The wobbly face in the opening titles of x files used to proper freak me out. I can recall daring myself to watch it, catching a glimpse behind my fingers and immediately regretting it.
I was alright with the bit where the little man falls into a massive hand, but after a while that began to freak me out too.
I'm alright with the big hand now, but the face still creeps me out a little bit and I feel the need to mentally prepare myself for it every time.

Crisps?

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 16, 2018, 07:40:38 PM
I get a really unexplainable feeling of dread when I listen to O Superman. Part of me likes it but it feels like it's cursed

I think that's a good way of putting it (I listened to it again; didn't remember it being 8 minutes long). I got goosepimples, not from fear, just that disturbing quality about it.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Crisps? on July 16, 2018, 07:37:52 PM

This is basically what my PhD thesis (and upcoming book) is based on... it's funny to think that for you it'd just be an over-verbose litany of horrors!

If you want to freak yourself, I actually happened to come across a Czech animation from the 60s (Trnka's Ruka) edited to 'O Superman'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHVHTwJBEU

chveik

willy crossit

ET
The sound effects on catchphrase
The sound effects on strike it lucky
The "wrong answer" sound effect on family fortunes
Bully from bullseye. Anything that made a cow noise

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 16, 2018, 07:40:38 PM

For me it's Airport by The Motors.  The keyboard bits fill me with a kind of eerie melancholy.

I probably hadn't heard the song since I was a kid, but a few years ago I heard a snippet of some other song on TV where the tune was vaguely similar to the keyboard part and for the next few days I had that tune as a kindof earworm but I couldn't remember what it was, then after a few days the word Airport popped into my head and I googled it and found the tune.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: chveik on July 16, 2018, 08:37:28 PM
The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment in Fantasia

It occurred to me just a few weeks ago that I've never seen the whole thing, just that segment.  Then I had to google just to make sure there actually was a "whole thing".  Disney are so possessive they never let anyone broadcast more than that clip.  Looking on Genome, the BBC have broadcast that clip 48 times, starting in 1941 where they played it (just that clip) on the radio.

flotemysost

Quote from: chveik on July 16, 2018, 08:37:28 PM
The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment in Fantasia

For me, it wasn't that bit, but a section featuring some sort of rolling hills in multi-coloured bands (can't find it online, so I may have misremembered) - it probably didn't last very long, but I distinctly recall feeling terrified it would go on forever.

I was similarly shit up as a kid when my dad played Koyaanisqatsi - the same panicky feeling over being trapped into something so repetitive and unintelligible, although to be fair I'm sure a lot of adults might still consider that one a bit unnerving.

mothman

The first episode of Sapphire & Steel. There's also a dream sequence in Papillon that put the wind up me right good and proper. Never watched either ever again.

canadagoose

I've mentioned this before, I'm sure, but these sequences on Channel 4 Schools gave me the shits as a kid: https://youtu.be/IJEqVxrA80I?t=25s

I don't know what it is, but there was something unnerving about the weird music and the out-of-proportion paintings that scared me. I couldn't help but take my feet off the floor when I watched it just now, too.