Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft things that scared you when you were little/still scare you now

Started by Clownbaby, July 16, 2018, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weaseldust

used to be scared of the sound of a sink gurgling when the last of the water is going down the plughole, so i used to pull the plug and run away before it made the noise

terrified by the aliens from sesame street that went 'yep yep yepyepyep uhhhuh uhhhuh'. i didn't like their mouths.

this bit in fantasia of a weird coffin-shaped rock going along. i have no idea why. turns out i wasn't the only one because the top rated comment on youtube is someone saying the same thing!
https://youtu.be/z4MQ7GzE6HY?t=475
i remember telling my best friend about it when i was 12 and we both watched it together and almost died laughing

Shaky

The unearthly beeps belched forth by the BBC Micro used to make me scream as a child.

royce coolidge

Another one for gurgling water after emptying the bath,and the top of the stairs in the dark

The Culture Bunker

For whatever reason, the white noise a ZX Spectrum made when you fired a game up on the ol' tape player scared the bejesus out of the five-year-old me. I had to turn the volume down and leave the room while I waited for Horace Goes Skiing or Chequered Flag to load up.

Absorb the anus burn

non capisco

Quote from: canadagoose on July 16, 2018, 11:23:48 PM
I've mentioned this before, I'm sure, but these sequences on Channel 4 Schools gave me the shits as a kid: https://youtu.be/IJEqVxrA80I?t=25s

I don't know what it is, but there was something unnerving about the weird music and the out-of-proportion paintings that scared me. I couldn't help but take my feet off the floor when I watched it just now, too.

I can understand that. Channel 4 were taking the piss with that music, if it'd have been the theme music to 'Bullseye!' or something playing over the top of those scrawlings it would have been "here are some shitty drawings some kids have done" but they went instead with music that suggests "here are some drawings murderers have done of the stinking demons they see at night before they sleep".

And thanks for co-signing what I've been saying on here or years about 'O Pigging Superman', people. That record makes me feel like my soul is draining away. Overwhelming melancholy, end of the world, all you hold dear is fading, all you'll ever feel is fear now. ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.

I won't trouble you with the dead eyed old nan from the end of the 1980 Soda Stream advert yet again.

Fuck it, yes I will. Sod off checkoutgirl.

https://youtu.be/oFeV0CbvHG8?t=26s

Sebastian Cobb

I still feel uncomfortable when I see giant isopods, but luckily we don't really move in the same circles.

petril

these fuckers

The preceeding programme ends, and the screen is black for just a tiny wee fraction too long to be normal telly. Then you get stark text with a voiceover that's not the familiar telly voices or sounding like a normal telly voice. Really dry sounding, and talking about something that sounds very, very serious. Something that looked, sounded and felt like it was trying to be television, but just slightly off. Not in the video, but the Broadcasting Standards Commission address (7, The Sanctuary, London SW1P 3JS) has been stuck in my mind for decades as a result. Up there with Admail 50, Plymouth(garish 80s yellow italics on blue.)

I was in London the other week with a friend. We stopped somewhere in Westminster to catch our breath for a minute. Yep, you've guessed it, Circle In The Sand by Belinda Carlisle, right outside 7, The Sanctuary, London SW1P 3JS. Fucking guided by the what ever the eerie, unsettling analogue for nostaliga is. Those memories are here to ITC I don't ever forget them [SFX: RUBBER STAMP].

manticore

The Clangers were and still are not only not-human but inhuman. They were out to freak up my mind at the time and still are. Postgate tried to make it up to me with Bagpuss but I could not find forgiveness in my heart, sorry Oliver.

Gregory Torso

Lionel Blair - Christ even as a child I remember thinking he looked like a lizard wearing a leper's skin, bits of him falling off in cornflake-shaped chunks as he shuffled around under his matted wire wool hairdo. Tap dancing or something, was it, Lionel? I don't remember, I was fighting to keep my breakfast down in my stomach and not eject it on to the rug.

Rabbits - horrible things, always dying and throwing themselves at you as they die. Squealing and bleeding and frothing. I had a recurring nightmare that I was standing in a field at midnight, with only the bone white moon lighting everything, and rabbits and rabbits, running towards me with hate in their eyes, through the wheat. I blame Watership Down the cartoon and Beatrix Potter's baleful flat-headed angry dad rabbits that pranced along walls and would find you and would come into your room while you were sleeping and watch you.

Just those two things, rabbits and Lionel Blair, everything else was fine.

Paul Calf

Quote from: metaltax on July 16, 2018, 07:14:43 PM
Really tall sunflowers

Wandering around Southern France in the autumn when the sunflowers are dying and going to seed can be quite chilling...

Jumblegraws

Quote from: weaseldust on July 16, 2018, 11:30:26 PM
terrified by the aliens from sesame street that went 'yep yep yepyepyep uhhhuh uhhhuh'. i didn't like their mouths.

Speaking of Muppets, Sam Eagle scared me as a child. I used to be terrified that if for some reason I met him in person, he would spontaneously peck me. Pleased to say I now find him to be one of the most consistently hilarious Muppets, which is saying a lot.

I used to get up as early as half five in the morning on Sundays when I was a kid and end up watching 4-Tel On View on Channel 4. It gave me the creeps when they had those little warnings about pirated broadcasts.

St_Eddie

Quote from: weaseldust on July 16, 2018, 11:30:26 PM
used to be scared of the sound of a sink gurgling when the last of the water is going down the plughole, so i used to pull the plug and run away before it made the noise

this bit in fantasia of a weird coffin-shaped rock going along. i have no idea why. turns out i wasn't the only one because the top rated comment on youtube is someone saying the same thing!

To be fair, these are perfectly normal fears to have.

Replies From View

He was supposed to be the good guy in the story, but for fuck's sake.  And he made the most disturbing sound ever for somebody supposedly calling for help.

There's something creepy about the way he walked down the quarry slope, as well.  Obviously the ground wasn't even and it made him wobble a bit.

LEAVE MY DREAMS, PEEP-PEEP.

Phil_A

There was nothing more chilling than your normal ITV viewing being interrupted by the jarring arrival of the Crimestoppers sting and that horrible montage of disembodied mouths coming at you out of nowhere

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun BAHH BUHH BAHH!

Here's a couple of classics:

"Women In Black" robs a Building Society in Somerset
Man randomly beaten to death in the street in West Norwood.

BeardFaceMan

The dramatic music playing while a spotlight was on the black chair at the end of Mastermind freaked me out for far longer than it should have. Especially the very end.

Replies From View

At the end of a video tape (a pre-recorded tape not a blank one), which would come some time after the end of the film you had watched, they would often put the most terrifying sounds ever.  To fuck with anybody who had fallen asleep, I imagine.

ASFTSN

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 16, 2018, 07:56:47 PM
The wobbly face in the opening titles of x files used to proper freak me out.

Yep.

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2018, 07:23:36 PM
that sound that goes spaceman. like spaceman i always wanted to to know spaceman intergalactic something. that one.

Didn't freak me out but did make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

One thing I can remember really worrying me was the Spitting Image video for Genesis "The Land of Confusion".  I think it was my first exposure to the Spitting Image lads' stuff and it's some of the weirder stuff they have done.  And to be fair the crone/cro-magnon/microcephalic Phil Collins is still worthy of a shudder even today.

But it was mainly the bits from about 0.56:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIa8z_Mts

but also the tongue sandwich from 3.41.  None of it made me feel "okay" though and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the whole nightmarish thing.

An episode of Blake's 7 freaked out my child mind for a good while. The episode was entitled The Web and having watched it, relatively recently, brought back memories but is very dated now in the effects department, especially the character Saymon.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0500271/

The final scene of what appeared to the Decimas drinking Saymon and his pleading frightened me out of my wits.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 16, 2018, 08:47:52 PM
For me it's Airport by The Motors.  The keyboard bits fill me with a kind of eerie melancholy.

I probably hadn't heard the song since I was a kid, but a few years ago I heard a snippet of some other song on TV where the tune was vaguely similar to the keyboard part and for the next few days I had that tune as a kindof earworm but I couldn't remember what it was, then after a few days the word Airport popped into my head and I googled it and found the tune.

Banana Man theme: https://youtu.be/LkdaxK8tFvM?t=7

The Motors - 'Airport': https://youtu.be/SU5buMgojTo?t=13

greencalx

The BBC TV news report of the Max Headroom Doctor Who invasion incident really freaked me out. (I didn't see the incident live, naturally enough). I got this idea that a "face" had broken into the broadcast of Doctor Who; I think they were showing the opening credits of the show as part of the report, which of course includes Doctor Who's face... so I ended up conflating the two, which served to freak me out even further.

I don't think they mentioned the bit with the fly swatter at the time...

thraxx

Pylons. One of my earliest memory is being out with my parents in the forest, coming out of the tree right next to this pylon, humming woth millions of volts of electricity. I burst into tears and was inconsolable. Mind you this was the same time at that public safety advert where the kid climbs a pylon and catches on fire.

Also. Muppets. I fucking hate them and they've always scared the shit out of me. I suppose today it would be called uncanny valley.

buttgammon

A lot of old TV presentation still has a haunting quality to me. All of these things seriously scared me as a child, and still give me a little chill.

The worst is the old BBC video logo https://youtu.be/UaxlFQTTlLk

But also the needlessly martial opening to BBC News for much of the nineties https://youtu.be/Cu3l_YI49fw?t=33s

And the slightly vapourwavy generic ITV idents https://youtu.be/igAa9BZNLbM

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2018, 07:23:36 PM
that sound that goes spaceman. like spaceman i always wanted to to know spaceman intergalactic something. that one. i would cry and leave the room as soon as it started. never heard more than the first few seconds.

edit
song. not just the sound that goes spaceman

these mooks? really?
pretty awful one-hit bollocks only in the charts because of some long-forgotten commercial... the noise at the beginning was an accident that they kept, as I recall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbAEkfXSDE

ASFTSN

Quote from: buttgammon on July 17, 2018, 10:13:31 AM
But also the needlessly martial opening to BBC News for much of the nineties

It's still like that now.  Relentless war drums under the rolling headlines. Roaring for blood and misery.

momatt

The video to Herbie Hancock's Rockit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

All those wonky, jerking mannequin legs and broken robots sitting about eating dinner, with wires everywhere.  Really unsettling.
It scared the shit out of me as a kid.  The mad otherworldly electro, with the stuttering sampled voices didn't sit right either, just so different to everything else.

I love the song now and I'm a huge fan of Herbie's work (especially the Mwandishi era).  But I'll never forgive him for that video.

I read somewhere that Herbie only appears on a TV monitor, as the MTV execs were scared of black people then.  So that's something.

Soup

An animated version of Roald Dahl's The Magic Finger that I had on VHS used to fascinate and terrify me in equal measure.

Watching it back now (because I'm very busy), it's hard to say exactly why, although some echo of that youthful horror still courses through me at the sound of that god awful sinister-jolly music.

The narrator does too good a job of saying how terribly awful it is that she has this magic finger that ruins people's lives with a very telling helping of undisguised glee. Also, she looks like that freaky bitch from the Moomins. Her finger throbs and it disgusts me.

The animation has a really low framerate, and low-quality animation is inherently terrifying.

Giant ducks with arms. Human sized ducks with skinny, crackhead arms. One of them answers the phone "Quack quack" "Phillip? Is that you?" "Qua-qua-qua-qua-qua". That's the sound of a six foot duck with arms laughing. I've been less haunted by crime scene photos (and that's saying something because those burglars really did a number on Granddad). "Then there came a very strange sound...", the narrator says. Oh aye, hope it didn't scare you, the strange sound of a human sized duck laughing. You did this, you fingerfucked reality you coy fucking witch.

The fucking mum, trying to act like being a bird-human is actually fine. "What a lovely nest," she says at one point, "I feel I might lay an egg any minute." Fucking hell mum. Don't try and pretend any of this is fine, and certainly don't try and feign normalcy with the image of you squeezing out a fucking egg. Later she tries to convince the kids not to worry about being doomed to eating worms and slugs, that she's their mum and she'll prepare them in such a way as to be delicious. It's that tragic parental rosiness in the face of total abjection that Life is Beautiful went for but this cartoon really fucking nailed.

So actually, I do know why it terrified me, I still hate it and I resent this thread for making me rewatch it, and I hope you all watch it and it terrifies you, I hope you show it to your kids and they grow up scared that distant ducks on the water look like they might be concealing a pair of human arms.

Oh and the teacher with whiskers and a tail. "She's not alright, and she never will be." Good to know. Good to hear you barely concealing a laugh as you told that story about you disfiguring someone for life in the most inexplicable of ways.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: buttgammon on July 17, 2018, 10:13:31 AM
A lot of old TV presentation still has a haunting quality to me. All of these things seriously scared me as a child, and still give me a little chill.

The worst is the old BBC video logo https://youtu.be/UaxlFQTTlLk
God, I'd forgotten all about that. It used to be really jarring having that play at the beginning of a VHS compilation of CBBC shows.

gmoney

The bit in Superman III when the woman is turned into a robot by the big computer. It's well intense for what is basically a kids film. There's some great stuff in Superman III, which is just about outweighed by the nonsense, to make it an average to bad film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

buttgammon

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 17, 2018, 12:45:04 PM
God, I'd forgotten all about that. It used to be really jarring having that play at the beginning of a VHS compilation of CBBC shows.

That's what made it all the scarier, it was so out of place leading into Postman Pat or Fireman Sam. Imagine being the fucker who thought it was a good idea to subject a generation of kids to that.