Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

False nostalgia

Started by canadagoose, July 16, 2018, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 17, 2018, 03:16:57 PM
Whats that feeling called? What's that feeling where your quest for nostalgia is raped by the passage of time, in reality.

No-stalgia.

im barry bethel

Quote from: canadagoose on July 16, 2018, 09:27:44 PM
Does anyone else get this? You know, you'll be consuming some sort of media from the past, and you'll feel a bit wistful and emotional, and you'll wish you were there, even though it was before your time.

Nice and safe isn't it, no moped acid squirters no 2 hour commuting no needing to save half a million for a deposit on a bedsit, paedophiles hadn't even been invented. It was all simpler back then even though it wasn't. I see it as some sort of adult daydreaming when you had double French after lunch.

Pseudopath

Quote from: mothman on July 17, 2018, 05:08:04 PM
There are many reasons to loathe James Blunt (though I submit to you his Twitter activity is a source of joy), but one in particular is his song all about 1973, which is several years before he was born.

He was born in February 1974, so perhaps he wrote the song in utero?

It's probably one for the "Obvious Things" thread, but I've just realised that James Blunt's real name is actual James Blount. Why the hell wouldn't he keep that rather than adopt a stage name with such obvious rhyming slang possibilities?

phes

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 17, 2018, 04:23:00 PM
Last night I was watching a documentary called Mallsoft, about vapourwave, specifically the nostalgic US mall music influenced sub-genre.

https://youtu.be/mw-WxQJnU-Q

SWIM should do a Benest's of Millbrook vapourwave track/LP.

I'm a sucker for all this kinda stuff. I never even liked malls. What is nostalgia for something you disliked called?

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 17, 2018, 08:35:26 PM
He was born in February 1974, so perhaps he wrote the song in utero?

It's probably one for the "Obvious Things" thread, but I've just realised that James Blunt's real name is actual James Blount. Why the hell wouldn't he keep that rather than adopt a stage name with such obvious rhyming slang possibilities?

He liked Kissing The Pink?

Icehaven

Quote from: phes on July 17, 2018, 09:02:05 PM
What is nostalgia for something you disliked called?

Dunno but I have it in spades for loads of shitty pop music from the mid 90s to the mid 2000s that I hated at the time but now have a grudging fondness for for reasons I struggle to identify. Heard Artful Dodger/Craig David's 'Rewind' in a shop the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's bizarre how different music sounds when it's no longer new but you remember when it was.

NurseNugent

I get this too. I was born in the mid 1970s but have this nostalgia the 60s and early 70s. I always thought it was because my brothers were in their early teens when I was born and I had a desire to have shared a childhood with them. I was nostalgic for their childhood somehow.

In a similar vein, even though I hate the countryside and have terrible hay fever I get this strange sense of longing  when I see pictures of this nature.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%20Hay%20Bales&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=hay%20bales&sc=8-9&sk=&cvid=7C6B83C8B71A498D81430A790016D5AE

littlenell

Although I'm often the first person to embrace the strangeness of something, in this case it's quite obvious what the cause is of false nostalgia.

The fact is, when youre young, youre exposed to the past via the media. Tv repeats, reruns...mainstream radio like to play tunes that aren't NOW, but were big anytime in the past 5-10years. We are all retro throwbacks, exposed to what's recently gone before us. False nostalgia isn't.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phes on July 17, 2018, 09:02:05 PM
I'm a sucker for all this kinda stuff. I never even liked malls. What is nostalgia for something you disliked called?

Distalgia?

DArtagnan

Quote from: Nowhere Man on July 17, 2018, 03:14:48 PM
A lifetime of watching really old sitcoms, Coronation Street and listening to stuff like 'The Village Green Preservation Society' have probably left me with a weird feeling of nostalgia for 20th century Britain.

Seriously? Christ, where were you, in a North Korean prison camp?
What could you have possibly done to merit punishment like that?

Replies From View

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 17, 2018, 08:37:04 PM
Nah...pretty sure there's a difference between nostalgia and déjà vu.

Well... in my defence I was answering a different question.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: canadagoose on July 16, 2018, 09:27:44 PM
Does anyone else get this? You know, you'll be consuming some sort of media from the past, and you'll feel a bit wistful and emotional, and you'll wish you were there, even though it was before your time. I get this with the old TOTP episodes, and I got it when I saw those photos of the Black Mirror set they were building in Croydon, set circa 1984. What causes it? What causes you to feel that way?

Obvious answer, but I think it's because you weren't there to experience it first hand but you wish you were.  It's all very well watching a video or listening to a recording of something you like, but yoou feel that actually being there would be so much better.  So for example watching a tv show set in the 50's and wishing you were there because of the cameraderie and everyone being friendly with their neighbours and beer was thruppence and you can have a great knees-up at the village hall etc and it all seems gentler and less frantic than today and you wish you were there.

manticore

Yearning for World War 2 from listening to my grandparents reminisce about it in the 70s and also films about the time. Something to do with the impression of togetherness and camaraderie in the face of hardship and strain, the unique quality of domestic life in wartime, the sorts of things Tony Benn used to talk about I suppose.

All the stuff that's been demystified and debunked over the years and some of which came from people watching it as portrayed at the cinema and not actually how they lived at all.

Mass_Panic

I was born in the early 80's but get a false nostalgia for the 60's and 70's. I've always attributed it to so much of those decades still bleeding into the early 80's and being exposed to that in my early formative years. I get nostalgia from brutalist architecture, wonky flute music, strange synth sounds, garishly coloured wallpaper or carpet, faded photographs of brick houses etc. So much of that stuff was around, even if the world was moving on that I think I took it in on a subliminal level. As a result the whole Hauntology movement has been very interesting to me.

Replies From View

What would have been the coolest disease to get in olden times?

LORD BAD VIBE

Rickets.

Your Charlie Chaplin impersonation will be the talk of the workhouse.