Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Please Pump my Punk Pile

Started by wasp_f15ting, July 16, 2018, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

After really enjoying Parquet Courts I went on a bit of a journey and found my old Dead Kennedys records / CDs and have been really enjoying the energy and vibrancy that Punk offers. Recently found the Idles - Brutalism and love their music too. I had Bodega delivered the other day and enjoy that too..

I really want to beef up my collection of Punk. I have the old Sex Pistols stuff, but do realise that I am missing loads! - Your Punk top 5 or 10 would be most welcome so I can Pump up my Pile!

Wrong section admins - Please move to Oscillations!

Paaaaul

First three Ramones albums.
First three Buzzcocks albums.
Pink Flag by Wire.
Blood Visions by Jay Reatard.

chveik

I'm not a big punk aficionado, but I can recommend:

The Stooges - 'Fun House'
Buzzcocks - 'Singles Going Steady'
Dead Boys - 'Young, Loud And Snoutty'
Bad Brains - 'Bad Brains'
The Gun Club - 'Fire of Love'
Husker Du - 'Zen Arcade'

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 16, 2018, 10:14:14 PM
Blood Visions by Jay Reatard.

Good choice. You can add 'Watch Me Fall'.

PlanktonSideburns

Rizla

Rudimentary Peni - "Death Church"
Swell Maps - "A Trip To Marineville"
Oi Polloi - "Duisg!" (This is a modern masterpiece of the genre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7lz-K86c0)

Dog Botherer

Off the top of my head, that haven't been mentioned yet;

X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

Dr Rock

Every Damned album up to Phantasmagoria, including Phantasmagoria.

Gregory Torso

Dwarves - Blood, Guts And Pussy
Flipper - Generic Flipper / Public Flipper Ltd
(early) Half Japanese especially the Calling All Girls 7"
Minutemen - double nickels on the dime
Electric Eels
Pere Ubu
(don't know if all of these are strictly punk, I don't get hung up on genres, but they're in the general arena)

newbridge

easytarget

Midwestern Songs of the Americas - Dillinger Four
Perfect pop punk.
It's a shame that no more pop punk can be created because all the riffs and hooks were used on this one album.

BeardFaceMan

NOFX - The Decline. Not an album but a single 18 minute long punk song that actually works.

Minor Threat - Out of Step
Black Flag - My War
Spermbirds - Something to prove
Nomeansno - Small parts isolated and destroyed
Suicide - suicide 1977

Head Gardener

The Damned : Damned Damned Damned
Ian Dury : New Boots & Paunties
Wire : Pink Flag
Devo : Are We Not Men?
Ramones : Rocket To Russia

chveik

I just thought of another one:

The Replacements - Let It Be

Kane Jones

The Adverts - Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts

LORD BAD VIBE

Big Black - The Rich Man's 8 Track Tape
Television - Marquee Moon
The Misfits - Walk Among Us
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
The Undertones - the first three albums

hermitical

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 17, 2018, 08:28:58 AM
Spermbirds - Something to prove

there's a blast from the past, I bought the album when it came out and saw them, maybe 88/89?

Endicott

wasp_f15ting

I cam across undone last night they are nice too, but shall be trying all of these. Black Flag are a bit hectic for me, but thanks for the suggestion :)

im barry bethel

Cro Mags for something a bit more shouty

Age of quarrel and Best wishes

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 17, 2018, 09:24:12 AM
The Damned : Damned Damned Damned
Ian Dury : New Boots & Paunties
Wire : Pink Flag
Devo : Are We Not Men?
Ramones : Rocket To Russia

I love all of these, bought all of them!

jobotic

jobotic

Also...Crass.

I'd pick Christ - The Album as my favourite.

The perfect start in Have a Nice Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBUTGPFuFc

One of the bleakest songs I know in Reality Whitewash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMRtjv9G79k

And this horrible and beautiful portrayal of the threat we felt as kids from nuclear armageddon in 1982. Sentiment (White Feathers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lELTIY7wak

Quote from: hermitical on July 17, 2018, 04:15:41 PM
there's a blast from the past, I bought the album when it came out and saw them, maybe 88/89?

Yep, it was from around then. I was really into my punk/hardcore at that time. I guess they may fit more in the hardcore genre though really.

hermitical

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 01:51:52 AM
Yep, it was from around then. I was really into my punk/hardcore at that time. I guess they may fit more in the hardcore genre though really.
Yeah but they definitely have a punk spirit and on that album they covered Bloodstains, by another early US punk band the OP should check out - Agent Orange

Quote from: hermitical on July 18, 2018, 07:13:54 AM
Yeah but they definitely have a punk spirit and on that album they covered Bloodstains, by another early US punk band the OP should check out - Agent Orange

Yes, Agent Orange are def worth a listen. That also reminds of a few others at that time. JFA(Jody Foster's Army), TSOL and Wasted Youth. I take it you may have been a skateboarder too Hermetical, possibly?
I want to recommend The Butthole Surfers too, that's if you haven't heard of them already OP. Not sure how they would go as punk category per se, they are pretty hard to put in any sort of descriptive genre when I think about it.

edit: need to add a fantastic band of that era called MDC (millions of dead cops) the lead singer dressed as Elvis as I recall. They did a great few albums but John Wayne Was A Nazi is a fanstastic punk song. I have the Elvis - Live in the Rheinland LP, it's great.

hermitical

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 03:47:14 PM
Yes, Agent Orange are def worth a listen. That also reminds of a few others at that time. JFA(Jody Foster's Army), TSOL and Wasted Youth. I take it you may have been a skateboarder too Hermetical, possibly?
Ha! No, afraid not - I was/am too lily-livered. But I did used to buy Skate Muties from the 5th Dimension.....
I wasn't into good old fashioned punk as much as I was noise and hardcore, this is around the late 80s and early 90s. I thoroughly approve of your NoMeansNo recommendation - monumental marathon gigs

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 03:47:14 PM
I want to recommend The Butthole Surfers too, that's if you haven't heard of them already OP. Not sure how they would go as punk category per se, they are pretty hard to put in any sort of descriptive genre when I think about it.

edit: need to add a fantastic band of that era called MDC (millions of dead cops) the lead singer dressed as Elvis as I recall. They did a great few albums but John Wayne Was A Nazi is a fanstastic punk song. I have the Elvis - Live in the Rheinland LP, it's great.

Got really into MDC last year, great stuff.