Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Freddie Starr documentary question

Started by mrapollo, July 16, 2018, 11:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapollo

Can anyone remember the name of the documentary from about 15/20 years ago that ends with Freddie Starr throwing wreaths for British comedians into an empty theatre? May have been a Channel 4 thing?
If anyone has a link to it, even better by the way

the

I think it was Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster (C4, 2001). BFI listing

Looks like it was on Youtube at one point, but no longer.

mrapollo

Thanks! That was it! I only have vague recollections of him being out in Spain all furious, but the bit with the wreaths 'for British comedy' at the end has very much stuck with me. Shame it's not on YT though.

I remember this, vaguely. Is there a bit in where he is showing off his new (soon to be ex) wife, who laughs at all his shit jokes, like him pretending a sausage, he is putting on the bbq with tongs, is his dick. He hold it to his nether region and she finds it hilarious. Needless to say this stuck in my mind for some reason. Freddie also then bitches about how his comedy is the funniest and all the stuff today just isn't really funny at all. I kinda remember it also be dispersed with clips of Des O'Connor's fake OTT laughter fits when Freddie was a guest on his show. He was always on it, as I recall.
It really struck me as a Theroux-esque type character exposure of what a petty,narcissistic and  horrible individual Freddie Starr was without any interviewer actually being present.
As you say it seemed to end with him having a wreath or something similar in one of the comedy venues that made him, Blackpool or something. I also remember he tried to do a national tour but cancelled.

Edit. Shit I meant to post this ages ago. But you have it now. Sorry.

That had all the stuff like him assaulting his seventeen-year-old son after going to his workplace, and battering some journalist and threatening to kill him, didn't it?

Phil_A

We talked about this a view months ago in the "Freddie Starr's Variety Madhouse" thread.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62382.30.html

I think most of here would dearly love to see the documentary if it ever resurfaces.