Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Manchester Meet September: choose a date to renege on, NOW

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 17, 2018, 06:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There was talk shortly after Serge died of a Manchester meet so I say let it be done, Gunchester Sur Mer, here we go. And if there already was one then fuck it, do another one.

Got to decide on a location and date for antics though. September would give people enough time to foolishly promise attendance in advance only to discover later they were having their toenails forcibly removed by the CIA to discover where the last cans of real Irn-Bru are located (Costcutters warehouse, Dumfries).

I can do either Saturday or Sunday of the weekends commencing 8th/15th/22nd September.

bgmnts

I would go but unfortunately I would feel about as welcome as  I do at family gatherings.

phes

smudge1971

Is it possible for the cabal to similarly set us to mute whilst we are actually there?

Norton Canes

I'm in MCR with Mrs Canes (sorry, that really makes her sound like a dominatrix) for a gig on the night of Sunday 16th, so I could stop over on the Saturday night and make a weekend of it...

Otherwise Saturday 21st would be best 

Neville Chamberlain

monolith

Live in Manc so should be able to pop down for a little bit whenever.

Kelvin

Lived in Manchester for a year. No meets.

Moved out of Manchester two weeks ago. Meets.

Danger Man

Quote from: Kelvin on July 17, 2018, 10:00:20 AM

It's not a coincidence.

pancreas

monolith

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2018, 09:59:29 AM
One for the desolation thread.
Best place I've lived! Although Moston wasn't the prettiest so glad I've moved from there.

I haven't experienced any crime yet but for some reason I find the idea of being mugged more palatable if it's someone with a Mancunian accent rather than a cockney accent. Feels more acceptable when you view your assailant as just a cheeky Northern scamp.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on July 17, 2018, 10:00:20 AM

Was it over a year since the Spoons meet? I thought we'd had 2 or even 3. Time flies.

I live in Hale but can't make this, got a wedding first weekend then it's my birthday the one after and then I'm going to a 40th the one after. Have a pint of tahini on me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 17, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
I live in Hale but can't make this, got a wedding first weekend then it's my birthday the one after and then I'm going to a 40th the one after. Have a pint of tahini on me.

40th = no way back

holyzombiejesus

I should be able to attend any of those dates but not for long unfortunately.

As an aside, at the only meet I've ever attended (the one in Manchester about 18 months ago), there was someone there whose name I never got. It was the meet where Janie, Serge, Pancreas, Tookish, Shoulders, Norton Canes, Icehaven were there and some went out to find Dannyhood (or whatever he's called) late on. Anyway, there was a guy sat in the corner near to Shoulders and Norton and he seemed really nice and bought me a pint but I never got to speak to him or buy him a pint back. Any idea who he was?

pancreas

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 17, 2018, 02:33:13 PM
I should be able to attend any of those dates but not for long unfortunately.

As an aside, at the only meet I've ever attended (the one in Manchester about 18 months ago), there was someone there whose name I never got. It was the meet where Janie, Serge, Pancreas, Tookish, Shoulders, Norton Canes, Icehaven were there and some went out to find Dannyhood (or whatever he's called) late on. Anyway, there was a guy sat in the corner near to Shoulders and Norton and he seemed really nice and bought me a pint but I never got to speak to him or buy him a pint back. Any idea who he was?

Action Fish?

holyzombiejesus

Might be. I think I was introduced but his name didn't ring bells so could have been that one.

Action Fish

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 17, 2018, 02:42:39 PM
Might be. I think I was introduced but his name didn't ring bells so could have been that one.

You remember me. I said you looked like Tim Martin, so I don't think I could accept a pint as you'd be honour-bound to spit in it.

I can do weekend of the 8th, and possibly Sunday 23rd but I am otherwise in Italy. Arrivederci, it's one-on-one!

doppelkorn

I should probably be able to pop down to one of these. I don't think I can do 15th though. Where do they tend to be?

Kelvin

If it's in September, I might be able to come. I'm not up north right now, but am moving back there again in August. Assuming things are sorted, I should be alright to pop in.

Mr_Simnock

Yes September would be good, I might even wear my 'Brexit is super good' t-shirt too.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Action Fish on July 17, 2018, 02:58:12 PM
You remember me. I said you looked like Tim Martin, so I don't think I could accept a pint as you'd be honour-bound to spit in it.

I'd forgotten about that. Serge, bless him, reassured me that it was some kind of in-joke, I think. Were you wearing a red or checked shirt,?

Icehaven

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 17, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Was it over a year since the Spoons meet? I thought we'd had 2 or even 3. Time flies.

Yeah when I saw that post I thought "No I've been to 2 meets in Manchester fairly recently." but no, the one being discussed above was nearly 2 years ago and the second smaller one was not that long afterwards. Blimey.

holyzombiejesus

3rd September 2016. I came along after going to see Bury vs Port Vale and had a row with some stupid racist prick Vale fans on the way back in to town.

tookish

Norton Canes

Reckon we could reach a preliminary consensus on a date, then? My order of preference is 22nd(most)/15th/8th(least)

Plus, sorry, I know we've got an established rendezvous point in The Waterhouse and I know Spoons are cheapest but I don't really want to patronise any of Tim Martin's Brexit hovels.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

22nd seems the most doable for people so far..

Happy to go to Spoons as I understand some people aren't exactly minted, but happy going to an actually good venue too.

phes

Sinclair's Oyster Bar (Sam Smith's) probably meets both those requirments

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I've been meaning to visit Peverel of the Peak, Circus Tavern, The Briton's Protection, Castle Hotel. Dunno if any of those would work?

A Sam Smiths choice would meet with the disgruntlement of some. I don't mind so long as it's not a loud angry shithole.