Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Really ugly films that are just horrible to watch

Started by Clownbaby, July 17, 2018, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on July 24, 2018, 09:46:57 AM
Obviously Escape from L.A.

No idea whst happenef there but everything is horrid.

Little known fact the Surfing scene was done for real in one shot.

Bazooka

I think the animation is the reason I don't enjoy watching any of these Dreamworks/Pixar films is because the animation is the same the whole fucking time, Toy Story was fantastic not just because it was a great story, but it was fresh back in 1995, I mean could make the same argument for Ghibli, the Nick Park crew to be fair, but they have far more charm.

magval

Quote from: Bazooka on July 24, 2018, 10:24:42 PM
Little known fact the Surfing scene was done for real in one shot.

John Carpenter's Kurt Russell threw that ball intil that basketball net in one go for real when he found out how much it would cost to CGI, is the story I heard.

Bhazor

I love Lynch like a big gay. But Inland Empire makes me genuinely queasy and I don't think its always in the way he intended. I think its motion sickness.

greenman

Quote from: Bazooka on July 24, 2018, 10:29:43 PM
I think the animation is the reason I don't enjoy watching any of these Dreamworks/Pixar films is because the animation is the same the whole fucking time, Toy Story was fantastic not just because it was a great story, but it was fresh back in 1995, I mean could make the same argument for Ghibli, the Nick Park crew to be fair, but they have far more charm.

You could argue that actually focusing on the lead characters is not the best way to judge such films either, I mean Ghibli in the 80's and 90's had pretty much interchangeable heroines in terms of design didn't it? yet you wouldn't argue there's a lack of visual originality to most of those films.

itsfredtitmus

i saw the cat in the hat on tv a few weeks and thought it *looked* good in a tim burton frank tashlin suburbia way

Ferris

I hated 12 Monkeys, and the train film with John Hurt in it. Storm-farter or whatever.

purlieu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 25, 2018, 03:03:18 AM
I hated 12 Monkeys, and the train film with John Hurt in it. Storm-farter or whatever.
Snowpiercer. I like the film, but it definitely looks overstylised.

The later Harry Potter films. Just oversaturated in teal to overemphasise how 'dark' everything's got. Just gave me a headache in the end.

BlodwynPig

Hook

The Batman film with Schwarzenegger, the batman film with devito. Horrible grotesque realisation that fantasy could be tepid, repetitive and lacking in wonder

Bhazor

Quote from: purlieu on July 28, 2018, 06:06:15 PM
Snowpiercer. I like the film, but it definitely looks overstylised.

The later Harry Potter films. Just oversaturated in teal to overemphasise how 'dark' everything's got. Just gave me a headache in the end.

Number 6 is the reason I've never been able to watch the films. Those shitty fucking wands look so fucking shitty. How can any cunt take that seriously? Especially when they tried to go all grimdark and serious and fuck off.

thenoise

Oi, I love Thunderpants.

Ugliness - Guest House Paradiso seems to have an intentionally ugly look, which sucks all the joy out of Rick/Ade's silliness.

The first full length British CGI film was the dogshit death metal fantasy 'Dominator': https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RXRBGJxfI - absolutely hideous.

Twed

It's not ugly as such but Bicentennial Man felt clinical and unsettling to me.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thenoise on July 29, 2018, 08:19:57 AM
Ugliness - Guest House Paradiso seems to have an intentionally ugly look, which sucks all the joy out of Rick/Ade's silliness.

FUN FACT: Ade Edmonson went on record, years after the release of Guest House Paradiso, saying that he regrets applying that filtered aesthetic to the film, as it only served to undermine the comedy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on July 30, 2018, 01:24:31 AM
It's not ugly as such but Bicentennial Man felt clinical and unsettling to me.

Ahhh, a bit like Bicentennial Man himself.  Do you see?  Was that a very purposeful, clever and meta decision on the part of the director?

No.  No, it was not.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: purlieu on July 28, 2018, 06:06:15 PMThe later Harry Potter films. Just oversaturated in teal to overemphasise how 'dark' everything's got. Just gave me a headache in the end

I saw the last one in the cinema in 3D. Couldn't see a fucking thing that was going off. Didn't even know there were giant spiders in it til I saw it on ITV.

Clownbaby

AI Artificial itelligence is such a fucking weird unpleasant film innit. I think I read it was originally a Kubrick project but since he died, it got picked up by Spielberg to complete it or something? Can't be bothered to look it up. So you end up with an eerie and hollow kind of film that is also shot with a vaseline lense and injected with the some of the Hollywood cuteness,  but the cuteness just doesn't integrate properly, so the Kubrick side and the Spielberg side are just weirdly separate like oil and water and the film has a really slippery unpleasantly syrupy but also empty evil atmosphere. And I genuinely don't know if Haley Joel Osment was supposed to be cute or unsettling with those funny little eyes of his (doesn't he look like a young Rob McElhenny? Just noticed that)

It's such a tonally unpleasant film. I felt weird after watching it. I don't really want to give it another chance but maybe I should. From what I remember, the Tim and Eric Cinco Boy is less fuckin unsettling

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqh_y-iH_Bc

garbed_attic

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 30, 2018, 11:47:10 AM
AI Artificial itelligence is such a fucking weird unpleasant film innit. I think I read it was originally a Kubrick project but since he died, it got picked up by Spielberg to complete it or something? Can't be bothered to look it up. So you end up with an eerie and hollow kind of film that is also shot with a vaseline lense and injected with the some of the Hollywood cuteness,  but the cuteness just doesn't integrate properly, so the Kubrick side and the Spielberg side are just weirdly separate like oil and water and the film has a really slippery unpleasantly syrupy but also empty evil atmosphere. And I genuinely don't know if Haley Joel Osment was supposed to be cute or unsettling with those funny little eyes of his (doesn't he look like a young Rob McElhenny? Just noticed that)

haha but that's why it's good! I agree it's probably mostly unintentional, but it makes for a pretty harrowing dystopia!

Clownbaby

Quote from: gout_pony on July 30, 2018, 11:50:56 AM
haha but that's why it's good! I agree it's probably mostly unintentional, but it makes for a pretty harrowing dystopia!

Usually I'm pretty good at accepting a film for what it is and knowing how I feel, but this was just one of those films where I just couldn't work out if I thought it was good or not. It feels cursed. But I guess that's how a dystopia film about an artifically intelligent boy and his gigolo companion should feel.

Bhazor

AI Artificial itelligence is such a fucking weird unpleasant film innit. I think I read it was originally a Kubrick project but since he died, it got picked up by Spielberg to complete it or something?

Yeah its Spielberg's attempt to make a Kubrick film. It makes the film kind of interesting when you watch it with that in mind. A director trying to emulate somebody else not in parody but in sincere homage. A talented but extremely safe mainstream director making a stark art house film.

St_Eddie

AI Artificial itelligence is such a fucking weird unpleasant film innit. I think I read it was originally a Kubrick project but since he died, it got picked up by Spielberg to complete it or something?

That's the myth.  The truth is that Kubrick always intended for Spielberg to direct.

Personally, I like the film but I do agree that there's something about it that doesn't quite gel.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Bhazor on July 30, 2018, 12:03:11 PM
Yeah its Spielberg's attempt to make a Kubrick film. It makes the film kind of interesting when you watch it with that in mind. A director trying to emulate somebody else not in parody but in sincere homage. A talented but extremely safe mainstream director making a stark art house film.

You've nailed my feelings about it there. It's the earnesty of it that makes it so strange for me to watch and a cut above the usual Sci fi Hollywood film while still not being terribly good, it's got something about it which creates just enough doubt in my mind to not make me find it just bad.

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2018, 12:06:23 PM
That's the myth.  The truth is that Kubrick always intended for Spielberg to direct.

Oh, I see. The plot thickens

Replies From View

Perhaps obviously:  the Matrix sequels (and the first one after it was colour-graded to match the sequels).

Just an awful aesthetic with the sickly green, but the "real world" is awful too with its CGI grey and brown sludge and whatever else they've done to the footage.  Did they lower the resolution maybe so the CGI footage would slot in more seamlessly?

It looks like no effort has gone into the framing of a single shot or any of the actors were directed at all, but watch any of the making-of documentaries and everyone is spunking themselves silly over how creative they are being.  "We've raised the bar so high there is no bar" - remember that?  And just visualising of any of its scenes now is turning my stomach.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Replies From View on July 30, 2018, 02:40:11 PMPerhaps obviously:  the Matrix sequels (and the first one after it was colour-graded to match the sequels).

I'd argue the first film's colours looked bad before the retro-grade - it had a browny-green, puke-like hue and muddy contrast.

The recent 4K master is much better, the green-grading is much more subtle and the black levels are, well, black. It no longer looks like the sequels so you can pretend it's a standalone film again.

Clownbaby

Oh aye the matrix films are so stupid looking. You always get people trying to pull off the coat as well

There's a sort of dumpt Meg Griffin type of lass from my course at uni who bought a trench coat and wore it all through winter, she couldn't just refer to it as "my coat", she always put emphasis on the "trench"

"Pass my TRENCH coat"

Give it a rest Emma no one cares

magval

Anyone mention Bronson? That film looks horrible start to finish.

Avatar's a piece of shit, and he's spent what a decade making 3 more? He could have spent that time having some fun.

Rizla

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 30, 2018, 04:13:08 PM
Oh aye the matrix films are so stupid looking. You always get people trying to pull off the coat as well

I remember reading an interview with Darren Day back in the day where he mentioned that he and his posse were currently in the habit of poncing round the west end clubs dressed like the gang from the Matrix. The image has haunted me since.

chocolate teapot

I stuggled with Jurassic World. The dinosaurs were blueish grey, as was everything. It really jarred with the vibrancy of Jurassic Park where the dinos looked like living beings not just cgi derps.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 24, 2018, 09:46:57 AM
Obviously Escape from L.A.

No idea whst happenef there but everything is horrid.

There's a scene showing a submarine's underwater journey that looks like it was made on a Mega CD.