Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Russell Brand Radio Shows and Podcasts

Started by gotmilk, July 17, 2018, 03:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotmilk

Hey, I was just wondering if there's been any word as to whether the Radio X Show will be back at all. The last podcast suggested they'd be back this year but I've heard nothing so far.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the Talksport podcasts from 2010? I only heard about them recently (think they were mentioned on one of the Radio X Shows) and was wondering if they were worth seeking out. I'm not especially optimistic as I've never seen them mentioned on the board and tend to dislike Brand in front of a live audience.

Incidentally, what are everyone's thoughts on various iterations of the show? Everyone rightly loves the original BBC shows but I also loved the Audioboom series, perhaps as much as the original run. Stripping the show back to basics and just focusing on Brand and Morgan nattering was a great idea, and the fact they had about 7 years of anecdotes to catch-up on made up for the fact they'd already shared everything from their early years. The new Radio X shows aren't quite as good unfortunately, and kind of ran out of steam towards the end of last year's run. Morgan is still brilliant of course, but Brand doesn't have quite the same charm anymore - he used to veer between naturally witty conversation and mostly endearing showing off, but now seems to be stuck somewhere in-between, perpetually in a slightly sweaty "putting on a show" mode.

I think getting away from a busy radio environment and going back to the Audioboom style would be brilliant for this reason, but I'd frankly be grateful for more Brand and Morgan in any format. Despite my whinging their rapport is still a joyful thing, and I hope that they continue to find time for radio/podcasts wherever their careers take them.

SteveDave

I listened to a load of the BBC ones but stopped after the one where Matt leaves. So before "Ee fucked your gwandowta!"

I read "My Booky Wook" too which says how he and Matt's relationship fell apart because of the roadtrip they did for that Jack Kerouac documentary they made and you can hear Matt's tone change on the shows they did during that.

I enjoyed the Radio X ones I heard but stopped to listen to the old ones so I suppose I've got a couple of months worth to catch up on that I'd forgotten about. Thanks!

iamcoop

I dislike Brand on television and his spiritual guru phase is tiresome but I still maintain the original 6music/Radio 2 show with Matt Morgan was, at its best, some of the funniest radio ever made. They're all easily available and I would recommend anyone who hasn't heard them seek them out. Even if you hate Brand's stand up, and almost anything he's ever done, on radio he was an immense talent that occasionally could reach almost genius levels of funniness alongside the right partners (primarily Matt Morgan). It of course fell apart in spectacular fashion as soon as Matt left and there was no one around to relentlessly take the piss out of his arrogance and keep him grounded. But still, heady days indeed.

The Talksport ones are ok, but you can sort of sense him and Matt are still rebuilding their relationship so it's quite stilted and tentative in places (not to mention shite audio quality).

The Audioboom ones are good and the Radio X run was pretty fun and occasionally would hit the heights of the old days but it could often become cringe worthy everytime Russell would start blathering on about god or spirituality or whatever.

gotmilk

I actually like a lot of the episodes after that On the Road documentary was made. They still have great chemistry but their mocking of each other just gets that little bit more relentless and vicious. It's only in the last couple of shows where things get too frosty.

One of my favourite bits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3YzGuiIbWc

That's one of the weaknesses of the new series actually, everything's a little bit too cosy and amicable. I miss the days of them bringing in ridiculous lists of grievances from the preceding week and tearing into each other.