Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being overdrawn beyond your arranged overdraft and having a panic

Started by madhair60, July 18, 2018, 12:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just noticed a PayPal transaction I'd forgotten about has put me into the realms of absolute money fuck beyond my arranged overdraft. Went to bank to ask what would happen, didn't understand a fucking word. How FUCKED am I?

madhair60

I am DOGSHIT with money. I won't blame the depression but I'm afraid it is a factor. Seriously how FUCKED am I?

checkoutgirl

One good thing about the bank closing my account and handing my debt over to collectors and me joining another bank was I was never offered an overdraft by my new bank. I'm rubbish with money too and if they had offered me an overdraft I probably would have taken it but all an overdraft is is a few hundred quid you take now that you will just keep taking forever. Just take the pain now and fuck the overdraft.

Overdrafts are a sign of poverty, stupidity and dicklessness.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 18, 2018, 12:15:43 PM
Overdrafts are a sign of poverty, stupidity and dicklessness.

I disagree. most of the time, my account's in credit, which means the bank has got my money. they earn interest off it while it's sat there. sometimes, if the money's sat in the right place for long enough, they might share some of that with me, but mostly not.

if I go overdrawn, it means I've got some of their money for a change. they charge me interest on that, presumably by way of compensating them for the lost interest they would've made on it if they'd still had it. they'll also charge me an administrative fee for telling me I'm overdrawn, & various other penalties kick in after a short while, such as a deleterious affect on one's credit rating, that sort of thing.

basically, banks have it both ways whether I'm in credit or not. they're thieving bastards & if it wasn't for the fact of having to pay bills using cheques or online, I would get my employer to give me cash every month & fuck these bank fuckers right the fuck off. fucking twats. banks are cunts, & I don't use the word lightly.

Blumf

They usually have a buffer amount they'll let you bump over before they bend you over the desk, and talking to them as you did will hopefully have helped too. Now you just need to get them their fucking MONEY!

Recommendation: Drugs and/or prostitution.

a duncandisorderly

I once had a bank manager ask me if I had a drug problem, because I was always short of money & slightly overdrawn sometimes just before payday.

fucking twats.

thenoise

The answer is usually to ring them up, explain the situation, and explain when you will be able to pay the money back.  Charging you every day when you have no chance of paying their charges doesn't benefit anyone, so they will try not to go down that route so long as you are open with them.

Honestly fuck all. You might get an overdrawn charge. Are you getting any money in soon? Let them know when, the cunts appreciate a heads up. Will keep them quiet. I used to do it all the time as a student but just lied about the money coming in because I couldn't be arsed getting a job. Keep in touch so they know you're a conscientious guy and it'll be fine. It'll be fine anyway. Or send back your PayPal shit and get a refund.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 18, 2018, 12:41:15 PMOr send back your PayPal shit and get a refund.

It was actually a series of parcels I sent off, cost me about £33 and for some reason they didn't charge my account for AGES. Had a look at me banking app last night and spat out all my coffee. And I hadn't even been drinking coffee.

bgmnts

Yeah i am in that place quite a lot its scary shit.

Good luck moneybags.

i think best thing to do if you're that worried is to give your bank a ring and ask them to temporarily extend your overdraft until pay day.  I wouldn't worry too much,  worst that can happen is that they'll keep taking money for your non agreed overdraft until they hit a certain amount per month.  have you no other money you can borrow to take you back into your formal overdraft?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Currently, in the fortnight before each payday, I get regular text messages from my bank telling me I'm £50 off my limit, and so should probably give them some money, or I won't be able to cover any direct debits or that. And, since I know this, and  don't have any money (or I would have it in there) and don't have any payments due (they all come out the day after payday), each and every such text is a complete waste of effort. Pity they won't be charged a standard network rate for them.

madhair60

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 18, 2018, 01:12:20 PMhave you no other money you can borrow to take you back into your formal overdraft?

Nothing, sadly. Text message says it'd need to be in by 8pm and there's no way I can sort it by then.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm with Barclays and when it happens I get charged £5 a day, for a maximum of 10 days per month, so the cost is never more than £50. Which isn't good, and only rarely happens, but at least I don't panic if it does.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on July 18, 2018, 01:14:47 PM
Currently, in the fortnight before each payday, I get regular text messages from my bank telling me I'm £50 off my limit, and so should probably give them some money, or I won't be able to cover any direct debits or that. And, since I know this, and  don't have any money (or I would have it in there) and don't have any payments due (they all come out the day after payday), each and every such text is a complete waste of effort. Pity they won't be charged a standard network rate for them.

get yourself a premium-rate phone number. you'll quickly have more money than even those grasping shitters will know what to do with, & the best part is some of it will once have been "theirs" to start with.

Twed

If they hit you with fees it's (sadly) easier to deal with them after the fact. Call them up and tell them you've been a loyal customer since <whenever> and would like them to remove the fees this one time. If they don't, tell them that you will move to another bank if they can't work with you on this. Tell them that they will have to take your account through debt recovery (this is you lying; don't let this happen to your credit) if you need to escalate it further.

im barry bethel

Quote from: madhair60 on July 18, 2018, 01:34:33 PM
Nothing, sadly. Text message says it'd need to be in by 8pm and there's no way I can sort it by then.

Relax, if you haven't got £33 by 8pm you won't have the ££80 they'll bump it up to either, it's not like you won't be any hungrier

Funcrusher

madhair60

Dr Rock

Have about three accounts at other banks. Make sure they are never overdrawn. If one account goes overdrawn, transfer money from one of your other accounts.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Twit 2

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 19, 2018, 06:47:38 PM
Have about three accounts at other banks. Make sure they are never overdrawn. If one account goes overdrawn, transfer money from one of your other accounts.

Isn't this, 'have more money'?

Sebastian Cobb

There's this service where you get a bank card and it works in atm's and shops and you can use your smartphone to select which physical card gets billed for the transaction.

That sounds pretty pointless and it would be, but it acts as a proxy if you want to take cash out of an atm with a credit card and you don't get hit with cash advance fees.