Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,403
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does someone's avatar sometimes make you...

Started by smudge1971, July 18, 2018, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smudge1971

...slightly alter your opinion on their post from mild annoyance to rage? Mild annoyance to nodding respect? I think this might only work with lurkers, noobs or occasional posters.

For stalwarts; how quickly does your cock go from dormant to rock-hard if a female poster is mildly rebuked for an opinion and you can rush in and White Knight the little filly?

Bleeding Kansas

All I know is that I wish people kept to the one avatar as I find it much easier to remember the face rather than the name.

That is literally all I know.

thenoise

'do you want to see my penos' is so joyful I can't help but be grateful every time they post.  I don't know whether I like this person's comments or not because I just look at the endlessly funny gif.

Dex Sawash

Steve Lampkins' (i think) av gives me nostalgia for the grumpy baby av

Jumblegraws

I got into a mild argument with a poster a while back, I can't even remember what it was about, definitely not something worth getting acrimonious over. Anyway, the fact that their avatar is Beemo from Adventure Time made me keep things more civil than I normally would. I've noticed some posts by this person lately, so if you're reading this, Beemo, I'm sorry for forgetting your actual user name.

Lost Oliver

Jumblegraws is yours from Have a Nice Day?

Clownbaby

A few years ago I was on another forum and I had a pic of Klaus Nomi  (below) as my avatar and I got about 8 private messages saying something along the lines of "is your avatar you? I'm just asking cause I find your avatar a bit intimidating" which was weird cause they all had avatars that were musicians/actors, many of them not familiar ones either. I just changed it to a pic of a gem after that cause I couldn't be arsed

Only thing that annoys me is if someone's avatar was from a dodgy hosting site and didn't submit properly, so you've got an empty box with an x in the corner or it just says "image hosted by tinypic" or something

I've had it where if someone (on any forum not just this one) has an avatar of something/someone I really like, it'll turn me off that thing/person a bit if the poster is a twat, which is probably proper immature of me but there you go

New Jack

^ I use a female avatar on another forum and I've been asked if I'm female or just outright referred to as female - eh?? Men are disgusting (OK, saying things like that probably doesn't help)

---

A couple of avatars have changed lately and it's made me realise how much I associated the personalities with the avatars!

Sebastian Cobb, par example! New one is good but it'll take adjustment from my feeble mind innit

mothman

Quote from: New Jack on July 18, 2018, 07:46:44 PM
Sebastian Cobb, par example!

This threw me too. I've had my avatar for so long now, I doubt I'll ever change again. Can't be arsed to go find that one perfect image that says "Hark! Pause thy scrolling down ye page, forsooth, for yea verily tis' a Mothman post!"

Though I'm annoyed I didn't make a note of the bookmark for my "Disgusted Mike Ehrmentraut" avatar.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 18, 2018, 04:49:26 PM
Jumblegraws is yours from Have a Nice Day?
Haha, nope, although thanks for reminding me of that film, I was pretty interested when I saw the trailer some time last year, then promptly forgot all about it.

It's Wes Warhammer, the Venture Bros mashup of Lex Luthor and Andy Warhol https://youtu.be/6fugWgKPR5U

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 18, 2018, 07:19:47 PM
A few years ago I was on another forum and I had a pic of Klaus Nomi  (below) as my avatar and I got about 8 private messages saying something along the lines of "is your avatar you? I'm just asking cause I find your avatar a bit intimidating" which was weird cause they all had avatars that were musicians/actors, many of them not familiar ones either. I just changed it to a pic of a gem after that cause I couldn't be arsed

I was introduced to Klaus Nomi via someone's avatar on a forum. That forum was centred around expressing vicious hatred of Dustin Diamond. I take it you're not the same person?

Funnily enough, my resulting interest in Klaus led to my discovery of The Venture Bros, where he is depicted as a villainous henchman of David Bowie. So I have Klaus to thank indirectly for my present avatar.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 18, 2018, 08:08:26 PM
I was introduced to Klaus Nomi via someone's avatar on a forum. That forum was centred around expressing vicious hatred of Dustin Diamond. I take it you're not the same person?

Funnily enough, my resulting interest in Klaus led my discovery of The Venture Bros, where he is depicted as a villainous henchman of David Bowie. So I have Klaus to thank indirectly for my present avatar.

Hahaha no I don't have any feelings either way about Dustin Diamond, that doesn't sound familiar! Oh yeah, I forgot ma boy Klaus was in Venture Bros. I'll have to watch that episode again

marquis_de_sad

When karma was first introduced, one of the first negs I got mentioned my "cunty avatar", which might partly explain why I seem to get into scraps on here.

asids

Who would want to get angry with the "Technician" Thomas Stewart from Neo Turf Masters?

And to answer the question, no. Avatars make people more recognisable though.

chocky909

I can't remember what my avatar is.

EDIT oh yeah...

Clownbaby

If someone has an avatar that looks something like this,

No matter how brilliant their posts were, I'd still cringe a bit. Especially if it's not one of the steroids/men's fitness forums or something like that where you'd kind of expect that.

I'm a big girl and I know that men like sexy ladies and stuff but it's just a bit naff. It's like when you see them lads with the tacky t shirts that have a tit model on them and she's got a black line hiding her eyes and it says "NOTORIOUS" or something

St_Eddie

Quote from: asids on July 18, 2018, 10:35:25 PM
And to answer the question, no. Avatars make people more recognisable though.

In the case of avatars such as yours, I always think that the image should be flipped horizontally.  As it stands, it looks as though you're avatar is turning its back on the words you that you so lovingly type.  Your avatar should be looking at those words with the utmost of pride.

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 18, 2018, 11:07:08 PM
I'm a big girl and I know that men like sexy ladies and stuff but it's just a bit naff.

I'm a big boy and I like sexy ladies and stuff but yes, it's just a bit naff.

Bronzy

My avatar is a photo of me and Limmy except all you can see of me is a extremely small part of my shoulder.