Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peep Show rewatch

Started by Ferris, July 19, 2018, 05:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Semi-inspired by the miserable experience I had rewatching Derek on my own, I thought a television program that was good would probably be more enjoyable, and all of the episodes are on youtube more or less.

Anyone fancy giving this a go? I haven't seen them for years, but every time I've watched an episode at random online I've been amazed at the quality of writing and performance.

If nothing else I'll soldier on, alone (a la my Derek rewatch), but at least I'll enjoy this one.

paruses

Sure. What sort of schedule do you have in mind?

Peep Show is one of those things I rate as a top 5 something or other but find it difficult to get motivated to watch.

Ferris

One a week would take ages - maybe 2 eps a week on thursdays?

QDRPHNC

Lemming

I'm in, although I have the first three series committed to memory and most of the episodes after that too. Never rewatched series 8 or 9, so that'll be interesting.

St_Eddie

I'll certainly partake in commenting but I don't think that I'll actually rewatch the episodes because like Lemming, I already have them committed to memory, for the most part.

paruses

Also looking forward to the later series - there's one I didn't really enjoy bit can't remember which. Maybe the dobby-centric one.

I also quite like the different dynamic is S1 - be interesting to see if others agree.

St_Eddie

Quote from: paruses on July 19, 2018, 07:43:40 PM
I also quite like the different dynamic is S1 - be interesting to see if others agree.

Series 1 is still best one, in my opinion.  It feels more grounded and gritty than the later series, which is, in part likely due to the look of the show itself, which looks a lot less produced than the series which followed.

paruses

Yea it is much more grounded - there's one scene I love and it only happens once (maybe even in the pilot) where they are drinking in the bathroom using the shower as a spritzer - seems such a real thing for two mid-late twenties flatmates to do in their situation (i.e. exactly the kind of thing my friend I would have done).

I will be mentioning this when it comes round so try and forget that last bit and save your amazement for later.

Dr Rock

I'm in. Watched it many times but not in a group! Ok, sometimes in a group.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 19, 2018, 11:53:55 PM
I'm in. Watched it many times but not in a group! Ok, sometimes in a group.

Ferris

A-ha! Well I wanted to skip the first season and move right on.

We got a start date?

Lemming

I'm with paruses and St_Eddie, Series 1 is vital. It has the bowling alley episode, which is one of the best they ever did. It's the closest the show ever got to emulating real life, there's an oppressive awkwardness and cringey-ness to almost every line that no other episode has managed to recreate.

"Please stop talking about Peter Gabriel..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lemming on July 20, 2018, 03:25:36 PM
I'm with paruses and St_Eddie, Series 1 is vital. It has the bowling alley episode, which is one of the best they ever did. It's the closest the show ever got to emulating real life, there's an oppressive awkwardness and cringey-ness to almost every line that no other episode has managed to recreate.

"Please stop talking about Peter Gabriel..."

I completely agree.  I love most of Peep Show (the last few series were very patchy) but the first series is great and as you say, the bowling alley episode is the absolute apex of the show, for me.  That and the bum kicking "clean shirt" kids in the very first episode.

lankyguy95

Sounds like a good idea. I've never really got into it so a proper watch might help me out.

As an aside, I wonder how many people would be interested in watching a short-running show. I mean, would people re-watch The Office UK? Or Fawlty Towers? I don't know.

Ferris

2 eps a week starting on Monday? We can alter frequency if we need - we are the bosses.

By popular demand, we will cringe our way through season 1 and begin at the beginning.

Twed

Series 1 episode 1 has the line "how thick is wall?". It's quality m7.

Phil_A

Quote from: Twed on July 20, 2018, 06:22:24 PM
Series 1 episode 1 has the line "how thick is wall?". It's quality m7.

Even if it wasn't wall-to-wall great lines(which it is), the presence of Jeremy's song makes it unskippable.

SOOOOOOO FUUUUUTILE!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on July 20, 2018, 06:48:25 PM
Even if it wasn't wall-to-wall great lines(which it is), the presence of Jeremy's song makes it unskippable.

SOOOOOOO FUUUUUTILE!

WAAAHHHH!!!

I haven't even clicked on the link.  I know the lyrics off by heart.

Ferris

Right, it's settled then. S01e01 and s01e02 for Monday. I think they're on YouTube so should be fairly accessible for everyone

wasp_f15ting

Twed

Quote from: Phil_A on July 20, 2018, 06:48:25 PM

SOOOOOOO FUUUUUTILE!
I love that "SOOOO FUTILE" is almost exactly "COME PLAY MY GAME" from Prodigy - Breathe.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on July 20, 2018, 09:51:01 PM
I love that "SOOOO FUTILE" is almost exactly "COME PLAY MY GAME" from Prodigy - Breathe.

I never noticed that before but you're absolutely right!

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 20, 2018, 10:17:36 PM
I never noticed that before but you're absolutely right!

I thought that was part of the gag - the whole song is an obvious prodigy rip off

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 20, 2018, 10:23:20 PM
I thought that was part of the gag - the whole song is an obvious prodigy rip off

It must be.  I'm not very observant and a little dim-witted, I guess.  Still, I found Jez's song to be hilarious, even without understanding the reference.

Dex Sawash

I'm in as long as the thread doesn't get moved to comedy chat and I never see it again.

Replies From View

I'm joining in with this as well, I reckon.

Bazooka

I'll try but the idea of watching the last two seasons is a challenge in itself.

newbridge

I was disappointed when I found out that many (most?) on here did not like the later seasons. I think they're all fantastic, with the very last season the only one that seemed to be running on fumes a bit (but I still thought it was great). The wedding storyline season is the pinnacle.