Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peep Show rewatch

Started by Ferris, July 19, 2018, 05:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

By my reckoning, we're onto the first 2 of season 2 now. Both are absolute peaches.

Anyone who thinks season 1 is better because it's more realistic or whatever must be pretty embarrassed now.

"Now we're moving into red, the colour of primal urges..."

Lemming

S2E1

Rainbow Rhythms is my favourite episode after the bowling alley (S1E3) and Mark's breakdown (S1E5).

"I should get extra marks for not feeling a fucking thing."

Good episode for the Anti Jeff-Defamation League, as Mark reveals himself to be a right fucking creep going through Sophie's emails. Jeff's a twat, but he's never done anything as unpleasant as that, as far as we can tell.

S2E2

Are you meant to sympathise with Daryl? I always felt sad that his friendship with Mark had to end. Which, of course, made me feel hugely uncomfortable that I was feeling bad for a massive racist, and that discomfort was the appeal of the episode to me. That and the Crunchy Nut line. And the absolutely fucking godawful "song" Hans, Jeremy and Nancy come up with.

The moment at the re-enactment where Mark says "is... is this real, now?" still makes my stomach sink. It's so desolate, but so funny. Rights for whites, that's all we're asking.

Ferris

Lots of terrific lines in those 2:

"Yeah... if you think that, and say those things, you're a racist"

"Money's an energy, and a lot of it has always flowed my way"

"The sausage-munching Boche... Fritz, the bratwurst guzzler"

Conversation points:

Gog/Honda. Clarkson/the Euro. King of the Hippy jungle.

Has anyone gone skinny-dipping sober? I went once with some friends years ago on the way back from a club at 3am all full of cheap Es. The lake in Weston Park, Sheffield if anyone knows it.

Is that the last we see of Toni (and Tony)?

dr beat

QuoteHas anyone gone skinny-dipping sober? I went once with some friends years ago on the way back from a club at 3am all full of cheap Es. The lake in Weston Park, Sheffield if anyone knows it

I do, spent some time living round there about 15 years ago.  It used to get populated with scary-looking characters around dusk, can't imagine what it would have been like at 3am!

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 14, 2018, 03:22:04 AM
Lots of terrific lines in those 2:

"Money's an energy, and a lot of it has always flowed my way"

Watched S2E2 last week and had forgotten how good it is and I do think this is where the show really picks up but I have mixed feelings about losing the grime. I will think on it as I watch the Daryl ep later.

Don't think that line's complete without  "Money's an energy, and a lot of it has always flowed my way - especially since my parents died".

Where did Tony come from? I have been meaning to ask. He's not the actor in the ep with the sister-cancer mix up is he?

New Jack

Same Tony all the way through innit?

I like how Gog got rich off usernames

Andy147

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 14, 2018, 03:22:04 AM

They both appear in the last episode of S2 (Wedding), but not in the later series.

paruses

Quote from: New Jack on August 14, 2018, 09:31:28 AM
Same Tony all the way through innit?

Same Tony but there's a chap at Toni's party in S1E1 (is it?) who tells Jez and Mark it's time to "fuck off now". He looks similar but think he's a different character.

I think it's perfect they're both called Ton(y|i).

buttgammon

Quote from: paruses on August 14, 2018, 10:39:28 AM
Same Tony but there's a chap at Toni's party in S1E1 (is it?) who tells Jez and Mark it's time to "fuck off now". He looks similar but think he's a different character.

Is that really not the same guy? This must be another Sophie's brother/cousin type thing!

New Jack

Quote from: paruses on August 14, 2018, 10:39:28 AM

What, the 'I think it's time you boys fucked off'?

That's Robert Harley innit, IMDb has him down as Barry

But who the fuck is Barry??

I mean, yes, we can see your hairy chest and no, we're not impressed!

Re s2 ep2, when I used to be in a band, in practice, would always start every song with a long note on the keyboard, 'to create a powerful sense of dread.' Jeremy's face as he just gives in and goes, 'ok 1 2 3, lets go,' still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

remedial_gash

Quote from: New Jack on August 14, 2018, 11:39:17 AM
What, the 'I think it's time you boys fucked off'?

That's Robert Harley innit, IMDb has him down as Barry

He's not Tony, he's just some older guy from the flats who latched on to Toni and told them to fuck off.

Weirdly I think male Tony appears in a much later episode on his own (like an extra) - some wake or party, can't be arsed looking through all episodes now.

thenoise

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 10, 2018, 04:26:56 PM
They do have two Simons, which always struck me as an odd choice.

Is it one of their 'deliberately not doing the usual sitcom thing' moves?  I remember on a DVD commentary they pointed out that they deliberately have Mark/Jeremy going to a different pub every time, to get away from the cosy sitcom 'local' idea, that doesn't reflect modern lifestyles.  Same with the contrived idea of dozens of different characters all having different names, when every real world friendship group has a repeat now and then.

Could be another possible backstory for 'big Suze', if Jeremy's previous girlfriend was also called Suze but fizzled out before it got anywhere.  Do the other characters also call her big Suze?  I can't remember.

Pebble_Mill

I think Mark does in his internal monologue but then usually opts for 'Suze' in direct conversation, at least with the lady herself.

Johnson calls her Suze, based on the one time I can think of, when he's looking for the big scissors.

paruses

Quote from: New Jack on August 14, 2018, 11:39:17 AM

I appreciated that.

paruses

Quote from: Pebble_Mill on August 15, 2018, 12:09:12 PM
I think Mark does in his internal monologue but then usually opts for 'Suze' in direct conversation, at least with the lady herself.

Johnson calls her Suze, based on the one time I can think of, when he's looking for the big scissors.

Doesn't everyone alternate with the "Big" prefix? I thought Johnson called he Big Suze when he assessed Jeremy's price and made the indecent proposal.

New Jack

Her friend Michelle just calls her Suze I fink

Odd how many of the women know eachother. Michelle was originally Toni anyway.

buttgammon

Quote from: New Jack on August 15, 2018, 12:33:03 PM
Her friend Michelle just calls her Suze I fink

Odd how many of the women know eachother. Michelle was originally Toni anyway.

Well, there's Sophie and Nancy but doesn't Jeremy meet Nancy through Sophie, specifically at Rainbow Rhythms?

Gregory Torso

Jeff is just a Jeff. There is a Jeff in most workplaces. The only reason we are meant to hate him is because Mark does, and we are inside Mark's mind. The stuff with Sophie's email is something most of us might consider for a moment but then think no, that is bad, but Mark steams ahead, creepy, but it's all worth it for the way he shoves Sophie's head away while his panicked brain screams ESCAPE ESCAPE ESCAPE!

Rainbow Rhythms is a brilliant episode. When they go to Ben's boathouse (Don't know if his character is called Ben, but those kind of smoking stubble slime shake types usually are called Ben aren't they) I cringe at Mark singing to Sophie. I suppose it's meant to be a sweet little callback to the something stupid phone message, but God do I crawl away inside myself because that's the kind of thing I would have done in my twenties, something true and real romantic man, if I was with a girl I fancied. Maybe I'm just uncomfortable with how vulnerable Mark is.

I'm up to the university episode now. I love that one just for seeing Mark in his element, stealing an education, wowing his capaldi tutor with historical knowledge.

thenoise

Re: Mark's early signs of being a bottled-up psycho, I remember the line
'Yeah, you won't be so cocky Jeff, when I come into the office with a Kalashnikov and 200 rounds of ammunition.  I think I'm exactly the sort of person who might do that!'

He definitely has thoughts that are a bit dark, and occasionally does act in a strange manner, but he is also very boring and conventional and probably bored.  He is definitely not the sort of person who 'might do that'.  He studied a subject he hated at university because of his parents, he does a dull middle class office job because he feels it's the sort of thing he ought to do.  His ambitions and hobbies don't extend much beyond reading the odd book and making some plans.  Even having Jeremy live with him is probably just the path of least resistance - lived together at university and he never moved out.

I liked the idea mooted on here that Mark was gradually becoming Jeremy, and Jeremy was slowly becoming Mark.  Even though it never quite worked out that way, I think it would have been a great long-arc story idea and recognising the mutual respect (as well as frustration) that they had for one another.

New Jack

Quote from: buttgammon on August 15, 2018, 01:37:07 PM
Well, there's Sophie and Nancy but doesn't Jeremy meet Nancy through Sophie, specifically at Rainbow Rhythms?

Nancy and Sophie become friends don't they, even beyond Rainbow Rhythms! Maybe they knew eachother already from that class.

And Sophie somehow meets Elena and Elena supplies her weed. Big Suze and Sophie don't interact do they? But at Big Suze's New Years party doesn't Mark go there looking for Dobby??

Jockice

Quote from: dr beat on August 14, 2018, 08:53:15 AM
I do, spent some time living round there about 15 years ago.  It used to get populated with scary-looking characters around dusk, can't imagine what it would have been like at 3am!

Jarvis Cocker had his first shag in that park. But not the lake.

chrispmartha

Just watching S2E2, which I think is my favourite episode, so nany good lines in this one.

buttgammon

Quote from: New Jack on August 15, 2018, 05:21:35 PM
Nancy and Sophie become friends don't they, even beyond Rainbow Rhythms! Maybe they knew eachother already from that class.

And Sophie somehow meets Elena and Elena supplies her weed. Big Suze and Sophie don't interact do they? But at Big Suze's New Years party doesn't Mark go there looking for Dobby??

They do; if I'm right about Jez meeting Nancy at Rainbow Rhythms, I'd guess they were already friends.

paruses

S2E2 is a great one isn't it?

None of Peep Show is where I remember it though - Hans on crack is great but I thought it was a later thing. Tony and Toni don't just disappear either - they are properly - if quickly - written out.

Lots of tiny bits I like in this one too - Mark's giggles, his excitement at having a good time, Sophie's coldness at the meal is nicely understated. And I love Hans' line about not being able to punch Gog - "punch him? I can't even make a fist".

paruses

Just watching S2E3 now - love how Nancy calls Jez on his bullshit about how everywhere is a church. I like how they make her a bit hippy dippy but like most of those sorts of people they're pretty grounded when they want to be.

I always forget how in love with Nancy I am.

New Jack

I thought Jez's line 'I want to die and crawl inside you' is back to front but suppose it scans better the way it is

paruses

Bit of pro-Jeff propaganda - when Daryl makes the comment about Johnson's lot being better at sports Jeff doesn't smirk or lap it up - he looks horrified like a normal human being would.

Had completely forgotten Mark's plan to befriend the security guards and curry favour with hobnobs coming unstuck - "Back to mate now??" and then the horror of watching the CCTV.

paruses

Oh yes - and Mark and Johnson talking over the sausage is beautifully framed. I hadn't noticed how funny Paterson Joseph's postures are before.

New Jack

Quote from: paruses on August 15, 2018, 10:25:49 PM
Bit of pro-Jeff propaganda - when Daryl makes the comment about Johnson's lot being better at sports Jeff doesn't smirk or lap it up - he looks horrified like a normal human being would.

Had completely forgotten Mark's plan to befriend the security guards and curry favour with hobnobs coming unstuck - "Back to mate now??" and then the horror of watching the CCTV.

Good spot. Jeff doesn't end up friends with a racist, does he?

And the entrapment levels Mark goes to are so vulgar he's lucky to get away with merely a butt. Jeff, defending his mother, insisting he's not into beastiality. Mark, obsessively watching him snog his girlfriend, still plotting to destroy...