Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

(Straining to get a look at the most eloquent MP in the House of Commons, for context.)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He is right about the country managing decline.

Except under his psychopathic rule the country would fast-track the decline process.

Paul Calf

The UK's been in managed decline since the end of WWII, when it essentially threw its empire over a bomb to stop the march of the Nazis. The discovery of North Sea oil was a brief upward blip, but it was squandered on tax cuts and given away to private investors.

For the Tories, managing decline == giving away the family jewels.

Keebleman

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/14/top-linguist-quits-uk-over-brexit-bad-atmosphere?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR3p_PGsBq5qOG30ujCNN1DDwfRhDpxVDb_ORgdqZFyDE0vA2Ki9lZ2SrTM

This cunt is a perfect example of why, despite having voted Remain, I despise Remoaners so much.  There are a lot of moments in the article which make me wish I could just grab him and drown him in a bucket, but let's just single out this quote:

QuoteI don't want to live an environment where I have to apologise for believing in European unity.

and note that in November he will be moving to Barcelona, where he will soon have to apologise for believing in so much as Spanish unity!

mothman

I'm hoping the fact my dad's Scottish, and I have an extended Scottish family, will qualify me for citizenship. Plus a new country's government is going to have need of people with my skillset.

mothman

That's a good read. The Brextremists are avoiding it like the plague, apart from a few hardy souls outraged by his shark metaphor, and even fewer insisting what happens after doesn't matter, because it was democratic.

Howj Begg

lol @this shithsow. lol @ racists. lol @little Englanders. I'm ashamed to live in the same country as these fuckers.

Fambo Number Mive

This claim from May

QuoteRegarding the EU referendum, she says three quarters of the electorate turned out to vote in favour of Brexit and is "up to this government to deliver that".

Makes no sense. It seems to imply 75% turned out and voted for Brexit.

72.21% turned out and of those 51.89% voted for Brexit. I presume it was just badly worded.

AsparagusTrevor

Probably badly worded. It was Theresa May after all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So Labour will get away with voting down Chequers (on the slim likelihood the EU agree to the N.I terms and the DUP agree N.I terms and it actually reaches parliament in its current form) because the right of the Tories hate the
fundamental idea of Chequers and the fact it doesn't give them what they want that they will kick up too much of a stink that the PM can't wholly blame Labour for wrecking Brexit.

Personally I think this mess is 100% the Tories making and if Labour want to extract every excruciating backtrack and concession until they are chasing their own tail, they should go ahead and do it. Show the public the mess rhey've got us into.

Quote from: Howj Begg on October 16, 2018, 12:27:41 PM
lol @this shithsow. lol @ racists. lol @little Englanders. I'm ashamed to live in the same country as these fuckers.

Great Satan

And you're proving that you're real, thinking individual who doesn't follow a script by... posting a popular meme?

You're no different. I don't think you've ever had an original, worthwhile thought in all your time here.

mothman

Peston saying the Brextremists have told May that if she asks to extend a year, they'll NoConf her tomorrow. So she's gone into that meeting/dinner/confab in Salzburg looking like she might request/accept an extension, but will no doubt piss all over the very idea tomorrow.

Alberon

As usual, May has fudged the issue even about an extension. She can't specifically ask for one, but refuses to rule it out.

It might seem ridiculous that even that decision can't be made, but she can't refuse it as there is no mutually agreed Irish border solution and can't accept it as she'd face a no confidence vote. So this is the non-answer that will allow her to hang on another few days.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe UK's transition out of the EU could be extended by "a matter of months" to ensure no hard border in Northern Ireland, Theresa May has said.

The prime minister said this was a new idea that had emerged in negotiations and was not expected to be used.

The UK leaves the EU in March, and the current plan is for a transition period to finish at the end of 2020.

Cuellar

QuoteThe UK's transition out of the EU could be extended by "a matter of months" to ensure no hard border in Northern Ireland, Theresa May has said.

The prime minister said this was a new idea that had emerged in negotiations and was not expected to be used.

Jesus what a farce.

"ah, we could do this!....but we won't....but we MIGHT!...but we won't. Or will we!....No....but we could!"

Norton Canes

The prime minister said this was a new idea that had emerged in negotiations and was not expected to be used

Ha, like it was a 'new idea' for the EU that they would tell the government to fuck off and come back when they'd made their minds up.

I know this hardly needs restating but it just never ceases to depress me when I hear EU officials talk about Brexit issues in a calm, rational, reasonable and polite manner, compared to the domineering, unyielding rhetoric we get from our government.

It's just Small Person Syndrome isn't it?

imitationleather

I think the Tory government (unfortunately correctly) assumes that talking about this in the "We're going to war with you bastards!" style is what will give a lot of the British public the Right Fucking Horn. We'll be threatening to put boots on the ground in Calais next.

Cuellar

I'm still convinced this bellicose rhetoric ultimately derives from being the generation after the generation that actually went to war.

People like Farage were probably belittled by their dads for not having had to go to battle. Hence his teenage (and middle and old age) infatuation with the Nazis.

That's my 'hot take' on it and I don't care.

Blue Jam

Sod the Good Friday Agreement, Brexit Means Brexit:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/stanley-johnson-irish-will-shoot-each-other-brexit-news-gmb/

Ca'tn we just give the Johnson family a few hunting rifles and let them shoot each other? *facepalm*

Cuellar

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2018, 04:29:51 PM

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/stanley-johnson-irish-will-shoot-each-other-brexit-news-gmb/

Ca'tn we just give the Johnson family a few hunting rifles and let them shoot each other? *facepalm*

Love the twitter reactions: "very disappointed". Yeah. We expect so much better from the Johnsons.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2018, 04:29:51 PM

Quote"Mrs Thatcher would not have had any truck with this scheme by the EU to elevate the border question into a way of making sure we stay in the EU."

This has developed into a full official talking point, very clearly. Another stab in the back myth to exploit complete failure.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2018, 06:20:28 PM
We're All Going To Be Fine, Says Millionaire Hollywood Actor:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sir-michael-caine-on-brexit-better-to-be-poor-outside-the-eu-than-rich-in-it-a3965141.html

I heard that this morning.  He reckons people have been asking him if he is concerned about whether Brexit will make him poor.  If ordinary people really have been asking him what he thinks about Brexit making people poorer, I think he possibly misunderstood them as a) Brexit won't make him poorer anyway, and b) nobody cares if he becomes slightly poorer, and would surely have been asking if he gives a shit about anyone not as already-wealthy as himself.

Quote from: Great Satan on October 17, 2018, 08:18:17 PM
And you're proving that you're real, thinking individual who doesn't follow a script by... posting a popular meme?

You're no different. I don't think you've ever had an original, worthwhile thought in all your time here.

Damn, it's true, that meme really does trigger you lot doesn't it, it's brutally accurate

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on October 18, 2018, 07:04:32 PM
I heard that this morning.  He reckons people have been asking him if he is concerned about whether Brexit will make him poor.  If ordinary people really have been asking him what he thinks about Brexit making people poorer, I think he possibly misunderstood them as a) Brexit won't make him poorer anyway, and b) nobody cares if he becomes slightly poorer, and would surely have been asking if he gives a shit about anyone not as already-wealthy as himself.

Yes, when you hear someone as rich as Caine undoubtedly is ($75 million according to the internet) saying something like "I'd sooner be poor..." he's obviously talking about being rich-poor, i.e., a might-have-to-sell-the-yacht-so-we-can-keep-the-mansion level of "poor."

Great Satan

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on October 18, 2018, 07:38:52 PM
Damn, it's true, that meme really does trigger you lot doesn't it, it's brutally accurate

Not one of 'them lot', matey. Not on the left, for a start.

I'm sure we'll thank you for your service when the times comes. We thought it would take years for some of our ideas to become more 'thinkable' again, but footsoldiers like you are helping to cut that down beautifully. I think I may even see it within my lifetime.

But don't think we'll need you much longer when the time comes, or that not taking things too seriously doesn't make you a dupe.