Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cracking piece from Ian Dunt today about what madness awaits next in Parliament.

http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/12/04/guerilla-war-the-parliamentary-fight-to-stop-no-deal

Choice snippet:

Quote from: Ian Dunt
MPs are therefore gearing up to stop the government taking Britain over the cliff edge. There are many ways to do it - you could have a second referendum, or a general election, or extend Article 50 or even cancel it. But whichever option you pick you need one thing: amendments. These allow MPs to tell the government what to do. The battle to stop no-deal is basically a battle to table amendments.

The government has gone out of its way to try to make that impossible. It did it using Section 13(4) of the European Union Withdrawal Act.

It is a constitutional crime scene. It says that if May's deal is voted down a minister has 21 days to go the Commons and say what the government plans to do. Seven sitting days after that, it has to produce a motion, which MPs would then vote on. But then it does something sneaky. It says it must be a neutral motion. Neutral motions can't be amended.

It is an extremely weird and constitutionally unprecedented thing to do. As far as we know, no legislation has ever tried to do this before. The rules on neutral motions are contained in a separate document, called Standing Order 24B, which says it is "in the opinion of the Speaker" that motions are neutral or not. The law went against the functioning of parliament to deprive MPs of their voice.

But the problem was that MPs voted for it. So now there is a self-made legal trap: MPs have voted to remove their own power. In order to give MPs more power you have to undo the power they removed from themselves. But you can't do that, because MPs voted for it and turned it into law. Elected politicians have had a nervous breakdown over Brexit and this is a perfect example of it.

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Z on December 04, 2018, 03:15:25 PM
Bring back hanging karma.

Thanks, at least someone appreciates my humorous blips.

Kryton

Contempt of Parliament.

QuoteThe prime minister caved in moments after MPs decided her ministers were in "contempt" of Parliament for withholding the information.

QuoteThe contempt defeat led to Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom confirming the full [BREXIT] legal advice would be published by Wednesday.

Cuellar

WHO'S READY FOR ANOTHER SCINTILLATING DAY OF BREXIT

Alberon

The full legal document gets published at 11.30 almost certainly containing nothing that we haven't already heard. Later on there's PMQs and Theresa May's daily whipping by the Commons.

But beyond that it's just Brexit waffle. They can't keep ramping things up from yesterday. They'd have nowhere to go long before the vote next week.

pancreas

Cuellar

It's like a glorious Brexit advent calendar. What will today bring?!!! If only it could last 3 weeks instead of a measly 5 days.

Alberon

Oh, don't worry. The first vote will not be the end of this madness by a long shot.

Cuellar

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 04, 2018, 06:17:25 PM
Thanks, at least someone appreciates my humorous blips.

Pig, I adore your blips.

Alberon

So the deal is even deader this afternoon than it was this morning. Most of the leavers on the Tory benches are banging on about the evil backstop.

Presumably even May knows this vote is lost, but we have to trudge through almost a week until the actual end.

But what then?

I suppose it matters what size defeat it is. If it's too much May might be removed straight away. She probably won't be though so what is her next step?

BlodwynPig

Bhazor

Paul Calf

Replies From View

katzenjammer

QuoteIt is "very likely" that the UK voted for Brexit because of illegal overspending by the Vote Leave campaign, according to an Oxford professor's evidence to the High Court.

An exhaustive analysis of the campaign's digital strategy concludes it reached "tens of millions of people" in its last crucial days, after its spending limit had been breached – enough to change the outcome.

The evidence will be put to the High Court on Friday, in a landmark case that is poised to rule within weeks whether the referendum result should be declared "void" because the law was broken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/vote-leave-referendum-overspending-high-court-brexit-legal-challenge-void-oxford-professor-a8668771.html

Yes! Just fucking bin it

BlodwynPig

Theresa: "The law was broken, the result was void. My tenure is also void and I will begin my 5 year term from scratch. Strong and Stable."

jobotic

Shortly afterwards a Cambridge Professor gave evidence.

"Yeah but the leaflet. And Soros."

Cuellar

Bin Brexit and you might as well bin Britain. Joke of a country if it doesn't even see it through. Laughing stock.

How very British. March recklessly on to self-destruction to avoid embarrassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIcN7u3-7Ss

katzenjammer

Quote from: Cuellar on December 05, 2018, 07:35:55 PM
Bin Brexit and you might as well bin Britain. Joke of a country if it doesn't even see it through. Laughing stock.

Not a fan of democracy or the rule of law then?

Cuellar

No. Means nothing without Brexit. Brexit IS the law.Brexit is the way, the light. We are only redeemed through Brexit.

Quote from: Cuellar on December 05, 2018, 07:35:55 PM

Yeah what kind of country doesn't follow through on an advisory non-binding referendum when standing on a cliff of idiocy preparing to jump?

Cuellar

Some sort of beta cuck country, that's what kind. We voted for this, give it to us.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on December 05, 2018, 08:40:44 PM
beta cuck 

Is this the genre of gaming that contains ones like Street Fighter 2?

Cuellar

Urinal Cake

Keep Cuck and Carry On

I think May's plan will make it in the end in the absence of a broadly supported alternative.

Quote from: Cuellar on December 05, 2018, 08:37:35 PM
No. Means nothing without Brexit. Brexit IS the law.Brexit is the way, the light. We are only redeemed through Brexit.

Oh. It was a simple lampoon.