Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:54:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Jittlebags

I know, what about a referendum about whether we want a second referendum? Or maybe just have a wank.

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

Quote from: Alberon on December 05, 2018, 04:45:20 PM
So the deal is even deader this afternoon than it was this morning. Most of the leavers on the Tory benches are banging on about the evil backstop.

Presumably even May knows this vote is lost, but we have to trudge through almost a week until the actual end.

But what then?

I suppose it matters what size defeat it is. If it's too much May might be removed straight away. She probably won't be though so what is her next step?

Spend the rest of the week convincing the ERG that the Grieve amendment makes NO DEAL an impossibility - if they want any kind of Brexit, they need to get behind hers.  And convincing the Soubrieites and Clarkeians that a vote against her agreement will mean civil war and worse still, a general election. 

It's all to play for my darlings, all to play for.  And I am mindful that, at bottom, most MPs are compromised self-seeking turds.

Twit 2

I wonder how many hard Brexiteers are aware of the sunk cost fallacy? I bet it's none.

king_tubby

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present the Remain at all costs Liberal Democrats!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46470414

Cuellar

QuoteChannel 4 has announced that broadcast a Brexit debate on Sunday. It will feature "four high profile politicians" (as yet unnamed) "reflecting the main divisions in the House of Commons on this issue, Theresa May's Deal, a softer Brexit, a harder Brexit and People's Vote/Remain".

Oh CHRIST

Quote from: Guardian innit"I served in the Cameron Government, and then May's, I've been a member of the Conservative Party for two decades, and I voted for Brexit because I passionately believed in it. I loved all three, and now all three are in ruin. I'm very depressed". A senior Tory figure.

HAHAHA

Jerzy Bondov

Lumping People's Vote in with Remain is pretty illustrative of that campaign, which wouldn't be happening if they didn't think there was a chance it might come out as Remain.

jobotic

Quote from: Guardian innit

"I served in the Cameron Government, and then May's, I've been a member of the Conservative Party for two decades, and I voted for Brexit because I passionately believed in it. I loved all three, and now all three are in ruin. I'm very depressed". A senior Tory figure.

I saw this and laughed, but I don't get it. What do they mean by all three? I hope Cameron is in ruins but want the others to be too, and that's four.

Cuellar

I guess it's 'Government, Conservative Party, and Brexit'

But s/he's so heartbroken s/he's obviously not thinking clearly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lots of "senior Tory figures" at the moment.

Is this like with Corbyn where journalists know they can ring the same half-dozen rent-a-Judas cunts for the correct quote whenever they like?

Despicable, lets hope it gets her gone asap.

Cuellar

Yeah probably, still, warms the cockles.

Paul Calf

It's going to be fine.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1070936000841609217

QuoteMinisters will have the power to overrule doctors' prescriptions in case medicines run out after Brexit. Urgent government consultation launched on Tuesday, leaked to The Times

Pharmacists will overrule GPs to ration drugs under a no-deal Brexit, The Times has learnt.

Ministers will order them to alter prescriptions without first contacting the patient's GP in order to mitigate any extreme shortages, according to a leaked document.

The contingency measure was revealed in an urgent consultation begun this week by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC). It called for rapid changes to medicine rules to "support the continuity of supply of medicines in a 'no-deal' scenario".

Zetetic

Wonder if that power extends outside of England.

Increasingly, it looks as though my plan of an Anglestan extending from Grimsby to Kings Lynn is the only moral option.

Replies From View

Another step closer to the US-UK trade deal then.

TAKIGN BAXM CONFROL!!!

BlodwynPig

canadagoose

Paul Calf

Cuellar

Priti bloody Patel - how is she allowed anywhere near public office

Sebastian Cobb

Thick and spiteful isn't she. She's probably been taking lessons on how to treat neighbours from those secret meetings with those senior Israeli's.

mothman

Quote from: Cuellar on December 07, 2018, 08:23:59 PM
Priti bloody Patel - how is she allowed anywhere near public office

At CCO they call her the "box ticker."

buttgammon

A disgusting individual from a disgusting party. Even by Tory standards, that is an absolutely despicable, deranged thing to say.

Understandably, everyone is comparing this to Swift's Modest Proposal, but if anything, I think this sort of thing proves we're almost completely beyond the realm of satire now. Swift's satires were often executed by saying something incredibly shocking that would prove the opposite point (for those who aren't familiar, in A Modest Proposal, he argues that as a solution to hunger and poverty in Ireland, Irish children should be sold as food). Now, it's the politicians who say the incredibly shocking things, and they are far too stupid to do it with the ironic intent of Swift. Swift wrote A Modest Proposal to expose the callousness of the English ruling classes; the likes of Patel only expose their own cruelty and ignorance.

Paul Calf

Twit 2

Link/image broken. What did she say?

Phil_A

She wants to blackmail Ireland with food shortages if they don't accept the backstop.

Paul Calf

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blackmailing Ireland with food shortages when they have some of the largest agricorp groups in Europe based there.

katzenjammer

If only there was some kind of arrangement countries could have to prevent their politicians trying stupid shit like this, a kind of union or something...