Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May making statement to the Commons at 15:30.

"In the wake of reports that the Brexit vote had been called off, sterling fell 0.4% against the US dollar to $1.26, the Press Association reports. Against the euro, the pound was down 0.6% at €1.10."

That's the lowest it's been in 18 months. I'd laugh if we weren't desperately trying to import and stockpile food and drugs.

Phil_A

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-court-case-ecj-ruling-article-50-theresa-may-deal-uk-european-court-justice-latest-a8675541.html

There you have it then, Article 50 can be revoked and we can just call the whole thing off and pretend it never happened.

Except they won't, because there's too much invested in this charade to stop now.

olliebean

I suppose we should have known. May saying at every opportunity recently that the vote won't be delayed is a pretty good indication that it will be.

thraxx

The level of ineptitude with which the entire Brexit issue has been issued is staggering.  Obviously they were expecting such a level of defeat that May's position would have been untenable.  Which shows what the Tories really care about.  The BBC are reporting that this shows her 'resilience'.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so depressing.  We are in a position where this has to move forward whatever it looks like, the uncertainty is a nightmare.

I've always thought that Brexit wouldn't be allowed to happen ultimately and it looks like we are closer than ever to that. 

The thing I don't understand is what the Tories' (May) ultimate goal is and why they are stubbornly beating this route.  There must be some higher goal that May (under orders) is heading towards but I just can't see what it is.  It can't just be to avoid a general election.

Alberon

She's just kicking it down the road. That's her answer to everything. As long as it means she can stay PM for another hour it is worth it.

I expect we'll see another round of sabre rattling from the ERGs about a no confidence vote now.

BlodwynPig

Ultimately to lay the blame at Labour's feet and destroy left of centre thinking forever

TIAL

What on earth is there left for her to say, the European commission have already confirmed they won't be re-negotiating so this is all utterly pointless.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TIAL on December 10, 2018, 12:46:46 PM
What on earth is there left for her to say, the European commission have already confirmed they won't be re-negotiating so this is all utterly pointless.

"Im determined to get the best deal for Britain. A vote tomorrow is not the best deal"

Paul Calf

"I've been very clear that this is a vote. I am now being very clear that it's not happening tomorrow. Strong and Stable. Thank you."

Petey Pate

Quote from: Phil_A on December 10, 2018, 12:26:03 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-court-case-ecj-ruling-article-50-theresa-may-deal-uk-european-court-justice-latest-a8675541.html

There you have it then, Article 50 can be revoked and we can just call the whole thing off and pretend it never happened.

I'd be fascinated to see what would happen if this strategy was attempted. Imagine if overnight every MP just decided that they had never heard of Brexit, and reacted to any questions about it the same way celebrity Scientologists react when you ask them about Xenu. Perhaps they could go full on 1984 and anyone who thinks that there was a referendum where Britain voted to leave the EU is declared legally insane.

More time wasted now as May goes back to Europe to beg for "concessions" which will no doubt still not appease the loony eurosceptics in her party. 

Perhaps the EU will agree on an extension to article 50 on the condition that Remain is an option in any possible further referendum?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 10, 2018, 12:59:25 PM
Imagine if overnight every MP just decided that they had never heard of Brexit

They can just pretend they were saying the word 'exit' in places without central heating.

DrGreggles

Alberon

The ERGnauts have issued a press release saying this is effectively a defeat of May's plan.

QuoteThis isn't the mark of a stable government or a strong plan.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TIAL on December 10, 2018, 12:46:46 PM

Extremely naïve. Necessity is the mother of invention.

So far the tactic has been to make the terms all as vague as possible so they can be dealt with later. Now the EU will need to budge on some specifics or effectively sink the UK Government. I have a feeling they will budge on the backstop and firm up some stuff over the various vagaries of continuing membership of institutions - and we will pay the EU even more cash.

Sherman Krank

It's almost as though this lot don't know what they're doing.

DOES BREXIT EVEN STILL MEAN BREXIT?

Cuellar

I'm starting to wonder if it ever did :(

Cloud

hummingofevil

Meanwhile, an utter fucking cunt sits in his fancy shed; humming to himself as he struggles to think of a single interesting sentence about his entire entitled existence.

Head Gardener

Thursday

Honestly has she gone completely mad? What is the fucking point?

Zetetic

Passes the time.

Not much else that the Conservative Party is aiming to do in Government these days.

Thursday

Honestly can't believe she's done this. I've really gone off her now!

Cuellar

Head Gardener

Replies From View

Quote from: Zetetic on December 10, 2018, 05:49:27 PM
Passes the time.

Not much else that the Conservative Party is aiming to do in Government these days.

Don't worry; I'm sure they are fucking up plenty.

"does parliament want to deliver Brexit?"
"noooooo"

Parliament gon burn

jobotic

Ha ha ha ha.

Who's going to burn it? You?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on December 10, 2018, 06:11:09 PM
"does parliament want to deliver Brexit?"
"noooooo"

Parliament gon burn

Except because of today swathes of the great unwashed will now think May doesn't want to do it.

She may have had some sympathy before from the public because Parliament were frustrating her efforts, but then the public discovered the deal isn't one they want and now she herself is delaying the process.

Remember the whole 'she doesn't believe in Brexit' narrative running.

The only thing she has left to say is "we are leaving on March 2019", so perhaps you will get your no deal Brexit after all.