Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I thought staying in the echr was one of the things the whitepaper had conceded.

People who think the death penalty is a deterrent are fucking idiots.

Paul Calf

QuoteOf course both execution and detention without trial run contrary to British ethical principles. But...

You don't really need to read any further than that, do you?

Bhazor

Nah time of war mate. Lock em all up. Only way be sure, mate.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 24, 2018, 10:25:44 AM
I thought staying in the echr was one of the things the whitepaper had conceded.

Doubly so for terrorists

olliebean

Meanwhile: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44921910

QuoteThe UK would not oppose the use of the death penalty if two alleged Islamic state members were extradited to the US, the home secretary says.

Blue Jam

SpiderChrist

The day I take lessons in justice and morality from the military is the day I grow a second cock and join the circus.

Jumblegraws

As I'm sure most people here are aware, we aren't signed up to the ECHR by merit of EU membership, so leaving won't, AFAIA, 'enable' the UK to withdraw as a signatory any more than it's already entitled to.

Paul Calf

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 24, 2018, 04:29:16 PM
The day I take lessons in justice and morality from the military is the day I grow a second cock and join the circus.

I would actually do this though.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 24, 2018, 04:41:05 PM
As I'm sure most people here are aware, we aren't signed up to the ECHR by merit of EU membership, so leaving won't, AFAIA, 'enable' the UK to withdraw as a signatory any more than it's already entitled to.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain opportunists take advantage of the febrile atmosphere to dump some other Europe-related stuff. As I said, May's been trying to wriggle out of it for years.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 24, 2018, 04:49:24 PM

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain opportunists take advantage of the febrile atmosphere to dump some other Europe-related stuff. As I said, May's been trying to wriggle out of it for years.

This is true. Whenever she bandied around the idea of a British Bill of Rights as Home Secretary though, she could never be bothered with preparing any sort of detail as to what the heralded British Bill of Rights would look like and just waited around for people to forget she'd raised the matter.

As a Remoaner, I actually think the ECoJ trying to develop their own human rights jurisprudence is a legitimate (but not massively urgent) example of EU institutional overreach. I also think there's a lot of merit to the basic notion of a British Bill of Rights. It's a shame the notion has been hijacked by vengeful, bring-back-hangin' pricks.

Replies From View

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 24, 2018, 04:29:16 PM

What's so weird about joining the circus when you have already grown a second cock?  I'd say it's a lot more likely than growing a second cock and being hired as a nude speech and language therapist because of it.

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

Does the white paper matter in any way?

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 24, 2018, 04:41:05 PM
Although Article 2 of the TEU does demand that a state respect human rights - while enforcement has been poor (and Brexit will probably make it poorer), withdrawing from the ECHR and reintroducing the death penalty would probably have precipitated quite a strong reaction.

As a Remoaner, I actually think the ECoJ trying to develop their own human rights jurisprudence is a legitimate (but not massively urgent) example of EU institutional overreach.
I think that's an interesting view - I see that Article 2 should be an opportunity for member states to collectively take meaningful actions over human rights abuses in a way that the ECHR doesn't really support. (But, I guess, in practice it's limited by the extent to which individual member's political considerations determine whether violations - particular multiple systematic violations - are pursued aggressively or not.)

Alberon

Ian Paisley MP (no, not that one. He's dead. This is his son) has got himself in a spot of bother over some Sri Lankan freebies.

QuoteMr Paisley failed to declare two luxury family holidays in 2013 paid for by the Sri Lankan government.

He later lobbied the then prime minister on the country's behalf.

As a result he's got suspended for 30 days from the House of Commons, which is one of the longest sentences handed down. As a result the DUP MP will miss some Brexit votes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44932312

greencalx

But we know what a British bill of rights looks like, don't we. You will have rights if you are British, and the government doesn't think you're a wrong 'un. Otherwise, you're fucked.

olliebean

The basic idea used to sell a British bill of rights would doubtless be along the lines of "It's British, of course it'll be better," whilst studiously neglecting to mention that "better" in this context means "better for big business," which means "less rights for the proles."

Captain Z

So Strong and Stable herself has taken personal charge of the Brexit negatiations. Like bringing on Rooney for Sterling.

Did this comedy moment get posted here yet?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-paper-german-translation-white-chequers-deal-a8454561.html

The British government is facing ridicule from German-speaking Brussels officials and diplomats after Whitehall botched an attempt to translate its new Brexit white paper into other languages.

The move to provide translations of Theresa May's Brexit plan is being seen in Brussels as an attempt to bypass the European Commission and negotiate directly with member states.

But the approach appears to have backfired after claims that the translation was "unreadable" and written in strange "archaic" language featuring made-up compound words.

Even the headline description of the white paper on the government's official website contained a grammar mistake, describing it as being written in "Deutsche" instead of the correct spelling omitting the letter "e".

Asked about the translation, one native German-speaking senior EU official said: "To be honest I haven't seen it. I have worked with the English translation so far and while my English isn't perfect, the questions I would have are not related to language problems and more related to content."

Another German speaker who had read the paper told The Independent that the language used was "old school to the max" and made Brexit sound "very mythical" because of the "archaic and needlessly complex" language.

"It's written really weirdly. It reminds me of Old German texts," they said.

The document faced ridicule on social media, too. Twitter user Oscar D Torson branded the "Weisspaper" as "awful to read" and "not German".

"It was translated by someone who learned German in school to a decent level but who never really spoke it, and who is also not a professional translator," he said.

Leafing through one section, the user added: "What does 'Fischergemeinden' even mean? People praying for fish?"

Luckily we won't need to know any of those mucky foreign languages after next March.

mothman

Quote from: Alberon on July 24, 2018, 05:12:32 PM
Ian Paisley MP (no, not that one. He's dead. This is his son) has got himself in a spot of bother over some Sri Lankan freebies.

As a result he's got suspended for 30 days from the House of Commons, which is one of the longest sentences handed down. As a result the DUP MP will miss some Brexit votes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44932312

I'm sure they - and the government - will, with no sense of irony, demand he be paired with somebody for any key votes.

Replies From View

QuoteIan Paisley MP (no, not that one. He's dead. This is his son) has got himself in a spot of bother over some Sri Lankan freebies.

I had to read this three or four times to realise you weren't talking about Sri Lankan frisbees.

Uncle TechTip

People praying for fish! Brexiteers in a nutshell.

Zetetic

Eh, the EU tends to switch between 'Fischergemeinden', 'Fischereigemeinden', 'Fischergemeinschaften' and 'Fischereigemeinschaften' quite a lot. (I guess that the first is the least popular but still.)

('Gemeinden' seems to also have the sense of 'congregations' which I guess is where the comment comes from.)

Of course 'fishing communities' is a fairly weird, if not faintly ridiculous, term in English anyway.

jobotic

Quote from: Zetetic on July 24, 2018, 05:11:13 PM
Does the white paper matter in any way?
Although Article 2 of the TEU does demand that a state respect human rights - while enforcement has been poor (and Brexit will probably make it poorer), withdrawing from the ECHR and reintroducing the death penalty would probably have precipitated quite a strong reaction.
I think that's an interesting view - I see that Article 2 should be an opportunity for member states to collectively take meaningful actions over human rights abuses in a way that the ECHR doesn't really support. (But, I guess, in practice it's limited by the extent to which individual member's political considerations determine whether violations - particular multiple systematic violations - are pursued aggressively or not.)

Fuck all that shit, let's execute Remainers. This is an actual MEP.

https://twitter.com/DCBMEP/status/1022044869081083905?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Neville Chamberlain

He seems like a nice, thoughtful man!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Captain Z on July 24, 2018, 07:30:38 PMDid this comedy moment get posted here yet?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-paper-german-translation-white-chequers-deal-a8454561.html

QuoteThe British government is facing ridicule from German-speaking Brussels officials and diplomats after Whitehall botched an attempt to translate its new Brexit white paper into other languages.

The move to provide translations of Theresa May's Brexit plan is being seen in Brussels as an attempt to bypass the European Commission and negotiate directly with member states.

But the approach appears to have backfired after claims that the translation was "unreadable" and written in strange "archaic" language featuring made-up compound words.

Even the headline description of the white paper on the government's official website contained a grammar mistake, describing it as being written in "Deutsche" instead of the correct spelling omitting the letter "e".

Asked about the translation, one native German-speaking senior EU official said: "To be honest I haven't seen it. I have worked with the English translation so far and while my English isn't perfect, the questions I would have are not related to language problems and more related to content."

Another German speaker who had read the paper told The Independent that the language used was "old school to the max" and made Brexit sound "very mythical" because of the "archaic and needlessly complex" language.

"It's written really weirdly. It reminds me of Old German texts," they said.

The document faced ridicule on social media, too. Twitter user Oscar D Torson branded the "Weisspaper" as "awful to read" and "not German".

"It was translated by someone who learned German in school to a decent level but who never really spoke it, and who is also not a professional translator," he said.

Leafing through one section, the user added: "What does 'Fischergemeinden' even mean? People praying for fish?"

Luckily we won't need to know any of those mucky foreign languages after next March.

https://youtu.be/a8jYJvXmnH4

jobotic

I'm not taking language lessons from someone who says "old school to the max". Brexit now.

Howj Begg

I remember some dick on here talking about "forging a new identity" (ethnostate style) in the crucible of Brexit. Maybe he would appreciate this:

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1021710586843942912

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if that is for part of a satirical play .

Paul Calf

Thomasina Chatham.

Obviously one of these salt of the earth working class Brexiters then.

Replies From View