Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 16, 2018, 11:26:25 AM
Didn't Goddard only play for 8 minutes and score?
I'm sure he's statistically England's greatest ever striker.
Came on as a sub in the first half vs Iceland just before the '82 World Cup. Alas, his goal was not enough to get ahead of Peter Withe in the "spends entire tournament sat on the bench" role.

Eight minutes used to be (not sure if still) the shortest England career - as held by former Brighton striker Peter Ward.

Bronzy

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2018, 11:37:44 AM
Eight minutes used to be (not sure if still) the shortest England career - as held by former Brighton striker Peter Ward.

That record is now held by current Crystal Palace defender Martin Kelly - he came on for the last two minutes of a friendly against Norway in 2012 and hasn't played for England since.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Bronzy on November 16, 2018, 11:40:38 AM
That record is now held by current Crystal Palace defender Martin Kelly - he came on for the last two minutes of a friendly against Norway in 2012 and hasn't played for England since.
Fantastic. Reminds me of the shortest Man United first team career - Nick Culkin managing about two seconds of open play, smashing a free kick upfield after Keown (I think) brained van der Gouw at Higbury in 1999.

kalowski

Quote from: Bronzy on November 16, 2018, 11:35:21 AM
Steven Caulker burps loudly as he downs another sambuca.
And Levi Stubbs' tears roll down his face.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2018, 11:14:45 AM
Paul Goddard, Danny Wallace, Francis Jeffers and David Nugent sigh forlornly.

And Mel Sterland. Safe as houses. Although it somehow ended up in his garage.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on November 16, 2018, 08:22:26 PM
And Mel Sterland. Safe as houses. Although it somehow ended up in his garage.
Fun fact: Sterland played his only England game vs Saudi Arabia, alongside another one-cap wonder in Brian Marwood (he managed nine minutes, avoiding the then record). But neither scored a goal, unlike the ones I mentioned.

George Oscar Bluth II

So on Sunday it's still possible England could be relegated OR win the league.

The Nations League fucking rules lads.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 16, 2018, 08:24:54 PM
Fun fact: Sterland played his only England game vs Saudi Arabia, alongside another one-cap wonder in Brian Marwood (he managed nine minutes, avoiding the then record). But neither scored a goal, unlike the ones I mentioned.

Talking of old firm England one-cap wonders, my team had Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton. Sterland was shit for Rangers though. Really shit

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on November 16, 2018, 08:54:23 PM
Talking of old firm England one-cap wonders, my team had Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton. Sterland was shit for Rangers though. Really shit
I grew up in the Border TV region, so we got "Scotsport" instead of English football on a Sunday evening. I remember him being at Rangers for about five minutes and scoring a few goals in a title-winning team that also included Andy Gray at the fag end of his career.

At least Sterland got his cap, unlike other Rangers/Souness fly-by-night signings such as Mark Falco, Colin West and Jimmy Philips.

bgmnts

I don't understand this tournament and have no desire to but I didn't realise the Danes were so cunty.

I have a sad feeling Giggs will squander this immense (by our standards) talent in this squad. He'll be our McClaren.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nations-league/table

This is the way the BBC have chosen to lay out the tables

Naturally the first table at the top is D2

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 16, 2018, 11:02:35 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nations-league/table

This is the way the BBC have chosen to lay out the tables

Naturally the first table at the top is D2

Haha random teams in bold, different numbers of teams in each division, San Marino with -14 GD and Belarus looking invincible.

How has no one posted Alan Partridge and his World Cup '94 spinning signposts yet?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh they have put them in order now

Why not have two A groups instead of those little ones?

bgmnts

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 17, 2018, 10:54:41 AM
Good piece about something that happened 25 years ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

QuoteA draw was enough for Denmark, while Spain and the Republic knew they had to win to ensure qualification but that they might get through with a draw (in Spain's case, a draw was enough if the Republic failed to win; in the Republic's case, a draw was enough if Spain and Denmark did not draw. The Republic were out if they lost; Spain were out if they lost unless the Republic also lost.

DrGreggles

Captain Z

Yes that was a good read, albeit clearly written before Gary Speed's death and Wales' recent success.

mr. logic

Speed died in 2011, and that's dated 2012, so written afterwards.

bgmnts

Quote from: mr. logic on November 17, 2018, 01:23:22 PM
Speed died in 2011, and that's dated 2012, so written afterwards.

Yeah but news of Speed's death didn't reach the Guardian until after this piece.

Captain Z

That's some goal from Forrest. Glad I put this on instead of ITAPOR.

Sgt. Duckie

I can only conclude that football is coming home, next summer.

Thursday

The Uefa Nations League is brilliant. An excellent idea by UEFA. It's coming home lads!

Captain Z

This nations league format is a disaster brilliant!

Captain Z

Am I correct in thinking that the nations league winner still doesn't get an automatic qualification for Euro 2020? Instead we wait and see who qualifies through the normal group system, and the four highest-placed nations league non-qualifying teams in each of A, B, C, D play off again? What happens if only 3 teams in the whole of section A have failed to qualify?

chveik

Quote from: Captain Z on November 18, 2018, 04:08:26 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the nations league winner still doesn't get an automatic qualification for Euro 2020? Instead we wait and see who qualifies through the normal group system, and the four highest-placed nations league non-qualifying teams in each of A, B, C, D play off again? What happens if only 3 teams in the whole of section A have failed to qualify?

they would have to invent a new country

monolith

We've peaked at the right time, now that the tin pot irrelevance of the summer is out of the way we've a chance at winning the big one.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Captain Z on November 18, 2018, 04:08:26 PM

I don't think even uefa know the answer to that